BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Space Terrain - Astroids

Hi everybody,

After a huge hiatus (about 8 years or so) I've decided it's time to get back into war-gaming and the like. My first foray to get back into the swing is this little astroid field for X-Wing or Gothic.

FYI - I used the course craft balls, the kind with the more open and rough cells...if that makes sense. Then after cutting and crushing into shape they where covered with basic wall spackle and mounted on washers with hot glue and tooth picks. Painted and sealed.

Let me know what you guys think. If you have any sweet space terrain tips or just share your stuff, I'd love to see.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2490.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	13211

Name:	IMG_2492.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	225.2 KB 
ID:	13212

Veteran-Sergeant

Nice looking space rocks, but where is the Exogorth?

Name:	Space_slug_btm.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	13451

Well if your getting into Battlefleet Gothic good luck finding ships or even people that still play it, but X-Wing is wicked fun!

In X-Wing when a ship executes a maneuver in which either the maneuver template or the ships base physically overlap an obstacle token you execute the maneuver as normal but skip the preform action step, then roll an attack die and suffer any damage rolled then if your ship is overlapping an obstacle token it stays on top of the token. Its kind of tricky to land on a 3D asteroid.

You could always do a house rule something like if you would overlap an obstacle at the end of a maneuver instead stop movement just before the obstacle (punishing your maneuver distance, that keeps things fair). Then all other rules are treated the same.

I love playing with obstacles (empty space is boring) and we have had lots of fun with asteroids. Once played a game were during the end phase every asteroid moves D3 and a scatter dice it was pretty fun, we even tried one trying to incorporate physics, if you suffer damage from moving through or onto an asteroid you clearly have collided with it immediately move the asteroid forward X (in relation to where the ship collided with it) were X is the distance of the maneuver that caused the collision, that one was interesting but it needs some work (like the asteroids would continue to travel at that speed until they leave the play area or collide with another ship or obstacle, and what about angles that would move them like billiard balls).

Thinking of asteroid fields has me thinking of the Iron Fist (and the "TOTALLY Iron Fist, Y'all").

I seriously need to get playing this game.

Veteran-Sergeant

My guess is he went Gothic, haven't seen him around the X-Wing threads...

No, I'm certainly into X-Wing. I've been studying for a career change so very little time to play. :/

But I made another set of astroids for my brother. So here they are:

Name:	IMG_2505.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	235.5 KB 
ID:	14262Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2509.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	14263

I've seen a few cool tutorials for busted up ships to use as debris terrain. I'll see what I can do in that regard soonish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2490.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	14260   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2492.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	225.2 KB 
ID:	14261