BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I actually like Wraithblades with the axe and shield. They are a tough unit that can take a hit with T6 and 4++ save and they will stick in combat, which can be a problem as they only have 1 attack. But, put a Shadowseer and the unit has Hit and Run to bounce out. The problem is they are slow, so so slow. The runes of Battle power Quicken helps though. I run them in blobs of 8-10 on foot. A Spirit seer or two with a Shadowseer and you can cast Psychic Shrieks and the Harlie leadership powers. I like that its a tough unit to compliment the fragile Harlies.

But, you will need some speed, so a Windrider squad helps a lot. Wraithknights or Wave Serpents with Dire Avengers are also nice options as they are the best units in the book and the Serpent shield has pinning to maybe help with overwatch that will kill your clowns.

Rangers though... yeah, I can't get them to work for me.

Brother-Sergeant

7th is suppose to be more integrated with units across different books than what we where used to in say 5th. If that's what its meant to be there has to be a way to have this change of mind set work for harlies (but then i might be also wasting my time). so yer standard eldar tactics don't work that well with Harlequins, what i'm trying to find is the the eldar units that while aren't that effective in a eldar list have a greater place with Harlequins. an example maybe Dark Reapers...

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowcatX View Post
    Dark Reapers are an odd place, they are good offensively, but they cost too much for how fragile they are. However, with Harlequins, you're going to have a lot of fragile, expensive units already, so dark reapers may be able to dodge being the first one targeted.
    I'm thinking Dark reapers will be a lot harder to deal with when they have the Veil of Tears psychic power (and possibly Dance of Shadows). They are expensive though! still with a Shadowseer they can't be shot at a distances greater than charge range (on average)... that's looking a little better.

If you worried about Dark Reapers getting assaulted you could also keep the Solitaire back as a counter-assault unit. Sure probably not the best use of the Solitaire but he does have a standard 30" threat range (using the masque detachment) and if's late in the game and you need him to get his points back then blitz ... again just throwing ideas around. (though things like Hell Drakes are going to be more of a worry to Dark Reapers than assaults)

Quote Originally Posted by Vashones View Post
    I actually like Wraithblades with the axe and shield. They are a tough unit that can take a hit with T6 and 4++ save and they will stick in combat, which can be a problem as they only have 1 attack. But, put a Shadowseer and the unit has Hit and Run to bounce out. The problem is they are slow, so so slow. The runes of Battle power Quicken helps though. I run them in blobs of 8-10 on foot. A Spirit seer or two with a Shadowseer and you can cast Psychic Shrieks and the Harlie leadership powers. I like that its a tough unit to compliment the fragile Harlies.
    yer having a tough unit or 2 to offset the delicate harlies is what i was thinking too... but way too slow, pitty they won't fit in Starweavers to assault from. Note that with the Death Jester 'death is not enough' special rule you can force the enemy units to move towards your units, effectively shortening the distance for your charge ranges and psychic powers. Like all Harlequins he also has Hit & Run and his cannon is an assault weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vashones View Post
    Rangers though... yeah, I can't get them to work for me.
    Any idea with Rangers got nerfed when i came across the errata that states that you can't join a non-infiltrating IC to a infiltrating unit, or a infiltrating IC to a non-infiltrating unit. (stops people using using illic & rangers as a delivery method to start with and can't add Death jesters or give then any 'effects this psyker and his unit' stuff if you wanted to) So yer they can sit at the back of the table and be annoying but their usefulness has dropped a lot. Pity that the Ranger long rifle isn't sniper with salvo 1/2. Still only 60pts with long ranged weapons so you can spend more points on expensive eldar heavy support and elites...
    Last edited by helline9; 04-02-2015 at 12:07 AM.

Brother-Sergeant

Craftworld Eldar Allied Detachment for a Harlequin Masque Primary Detachment. Army total: 1850 points.

H.Q.
    -Farseer.
    +25pts of gear
    Elite
    -Fire Dragons. (5 man)
    Troops (1)
    -Rangers. (5 man)
    Heavy support
    -Dark Reapers. (5 man)
    +5 Starshot Missiles

Total Allied Detachment: 495 points
    (due to the compulsory units in the Masque detachment, 500 points is about max for allies)

Plan is:
    -put Fire Dragons in a Starweaver transport,
    -attach a Shadowseer (with Veil of Tears power) to the Dark Reapers.
    -Farseer can go with the Dark Reapers to increase their weapon effectiveness with Divination or go with Fire Dragons for more Psychic Shrieking
    -Rangers are basically a 60pt tax, but they could be replaced with a 3-man Windrider squad with a Shuriken cannon for 61pts.

Mind you ...you could have a CAD (as an allied force) with:
    H.Q.
    -Farseer.
    +25pts of gear
    Troops (2)
    -Windrider squad A (3 man)
    -Windrider squad B (3 man)
    Heavy support (2)
    -Dark Reapers. A (4 man)
    +4 Starshot Missiles
    -Dark Reapers. B (4 man)
    +4 Starshot Missiles

Plan is:
    -attach a Shadowseer (with Veil of Tears power) to each of the Dark Reapers.
    -Farseer can go with one of the Dark Reapers to increase their weapon effectiveness with Divination
    -the two 3-man Windrider squads are basically a 102pt tax but 2 squads of Dark Reapers each with a Shadowseer
    !
    Last edited by helline9; 04-01-2015 at 11:49 PM.

I have been having good luck with my list. Fully loaded cegorach's revenge formation. 5 man squads, one fusion pistol each. Eldar allied detachment with Spirit Seer, five wraithblades, and a wraith lord.

Put a squad and a Deathjester in each star weaver. Put the spirit seer and all shadowseers with the wraithblades. Have at least one telepath and one phatomamcy.

When playing maelstrom missions, even when I nearly die, my speed keeps me high in points.

Brother-Sergeant

well the new Craftworld book changes things;
    Aspect warrior formation.
    3 x Dark Reaper squads (must take exarch for each, which is not a bad thing)
    formation grants +1 BS & re-roll moral, fear, pinning tests.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12