BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Tournament Wolves 1850

This tournament isn't meant to be a WAAC tournament, in saying that LoW are allowed (25% limit) and our meta is fairly brutal.

I am considering the following list:

Company of the Greatwolf.

Wolf Lord:
    Thunderwolf, Krakenbone, Fellclaw, Runic Armour, SS.

6 Wolf Guard
    Bikes, 1 PF, 1 SS, 1 Wolfclaw, 1 Melta Bomb

Ven Dread
    Blizz Shield + Axe + Drop Pod

5 Wolf Guard in TDA
    SS + WolfClaw, Wolfclaw + Assault Cannon, 3x TH/SS

Iron Priest
    Thunderwolf + 1 Cyberwolf

5 Blood Claws
    Flamer + Drop Pod

Drop Pod - for WGTDA

5 Thunderwolf Cav
    5 x SS, 1 Melta Bomb, 1 PF, 1 Wolfclaw

Fire Raptor
    Quad Heavy Bolters

5x Long Fangs w/ 4 Lascannons.

So it is meant to be a strong, but not WAAC list. Any thoughts on my choices? Tactics are pretty obvious with this list, Dread + Termies come down T1, Thunderwolves + Bikers head where they need to be. Lots of assaulting follows.

While I don't have the new wolves book this seems like a really good all around army. Anti air and anti tank along with great mobility by units who can deal with most any non armored unit. I might try to find room for a rune priest but other than that sounds solid. What benefits does the great wolf company give?

Hey,
    Cheers.

CotGW gives WS5 to all wolfguard and Thunderwolf Cavalry. You also don't need any troops. Downside is your forced to issue challenges, but you get preferred enemy character while in challenges.

I could probably swap the iron priest for a rune priest. Are you suggesting the rune priest for something like presience?

I'm a bit worried actually by how big the thunderwolf unit footprint is going to be. 7x 60mm bases is a fair bit of coverage. I'm tempted to drop 1 thunderwolf cav and spend the 55pts which would allow me to gain 1 more biker and 1 more lascannon long fang. I haven't played with the thunderwolves yet, so I'm not sure if having more to ensure 4-5 make it to combat is better or not or if they will likely make it fair intact due to my threat density.

That sounds like a good formation. I do think the large lot of Thunderwolves is good. I tried using less than 15 flesh hounds for my juggernaut heralds and they just never make it across the table. With all storm shields and the occasional 2+ armor save they'll make it. And the lord should be able to whoop butt in most any challenge.

I think the rune priest could be very handy for denying enemy powers and both divination and biomancy would be very good for them. At least I thought they could get biomancy? I think I'm gonna have to get that codex soon! I want a XIII Company themed detachment to go with my legion of the damned.