BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Lux's Traitor IG Blog

The title says it all. My goal is to complete 3000 points of traitor IG, sometimes known as Lost and the Damnded by the end of July for the narrative events at BoLSCon. This project has been years in the making. For me, 40k is more about the imagry and background than the actual gaming. I play Epic or Bloodbowl when I want to play a tactical miniatures game.

Anyway, I've been wanting to build this type of force for a long, long time. Waiting for my painting skills to improve, for a better financial situation, and for other projects to be completed. After playing in the narrative events at BoLSCon last year I realized a few things 1) There weren't enough Chaos players. 2) BoLSCon 2010 would provide a great excuse to work on the army. So here I am.

I've drawn inspiration from a number of different people over the years: Dave Taylor, my buddy Relasine, and several guys on some of the other forums.

About the army philosophy:
    Having read the Gaunts Ghosts series, I fell in with the idea of a more professional chaos army. After all, according to the background entire regiments and planets turn to chaos all the time. Why should they suddenly forget all of their training and tactics when they turn? It seems like they would simply use that training for the benefit of their new masters.

I saw a color scheme in one of the old GW catalogues, a lava scheme that I thought looked good & would be different from the norm. The lava scheme meant lava bases, which led me to the Iron Halo fens bases. It also led me towards a Khorne theme. Since a shooty IG army doesn't really fit with the smashy-smashy style of Khorne, most of the army will be undivided, with some khorne daemons for use in apocalypse games.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guard Color Schemes 001.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	376

Name:	P2070019.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	379

So now I've got former Imperial force based/fighting on a lava world that has turned traitor, with leanings towards Khorne. That alone lends itself to a lot of conversion potential. I've picked up a little of the ForgeWorld Traitor IG parts to mix in with the army.

I'll be using this blog and the responsibility of updating it to keep myself motivated as I work on the force. Painting will be done 1 squad at a time so as not to overwhelm myself.

Name:	PC310008.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	378

Name:	P2160046.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	377

Lux
    Last edited by Lux; 11-27-2010 at 10:00 PM.

Brother-Sergeant

Yesterday night and this evening were spent working on the bases for the first squad. You'll also notice a preview of something else coming down the pipe....

Name:	P2230002.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	380

Name:	P2230009.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	381

Name:	P2230006.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	382

Name:	P2230010.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	383

Lux

Allright allright, you got me intrested. Now start showing me something juicier *cracks the whip*.

Librarian

So, those are some lava bases- are your guard set from a Deamon World?

Have you checked to see if the Lost and Damned force is allowed lately? I can never tell sometimes when a force is officially unplayable.

hmm... I thought you would have had more done after all this time Hey bud, it looks good so far, those bases turned out really well.

Cheers,

FH
    Blog: http://pocketfullofplasma.blogspot.com/
    Meetup Site: http://www.meetup.com/Warhammer-Longmont/

Brother-Sergeant

Thursday and Friday are the gaming nights here in Austin, so I haven't done much the last couple of days. Note, I said I haven't done much...that doesn't mean I haven't done anything.

I took my paints with me last night and worked on the bases a bit, cleaning up the black rock, painting the rims, and smoothing the blends on the lava itself. I didn't get a chance to take photos, but I'll try and get some in tonight when I do the same thing. I also started on the test scheme for the guardsmen.

I've been using some of the Pig Iron heads for the 'boys. Some of the heads have gas masks on. All of the forge world minis have gas masks and air canisters, and so I figured that making my own air canisters for the Pig Iron heads would be one more way of tying the army together.

Name:	P2250016.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	393

Name:	P2250017.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	394

I simply cut some plastic rod into a short tube, maybe 1/4 or 1/8 inch long, and then cut two "end caps" from thicker diameter tubing. Some thick guitar wire stands in for the air hose, and VOILA!, extra character for the model for all of 5 minutes of work! I feel like the fact that the air canister pieces are a little rough and uneven plays to my advantage since it will (hopefully!) give them a dinged up and used appearance.

I already have a 3000 point list written up that I'm building towards in 1000 point-block increments. Here's the first 1000 points:

Company Command Squad with 3 plasma guns in Chimera and a power weapon on the Company Commander

Infantry Platoon #1
    4 flamers in the command squad
    2 platoons, each with an autocannon and grenade launcher

Infantry Platoon #2- Duplicate of above

Medusa

Leman Russ Demolisher

10 Veterans in Chimera with 3 Melta Guns

It's a total of 70 models, and 4 vehicles. I've already built most of the models but still need to clean and prime most of them. The autocannon teams and leman russ haven't been built yet. I have something special in mind for them

I also know that roughly 1000 points of the final 3k BoLSCon force will be a Shadowsword and a HellHammer.

@Odingrandson- The LatD list is now unofficial only, which is why I'm sticking to the IG codex. In apocalypse, I can ally in chaos marines and/or daemons. The planet is simply a volcanic world; I liked the color scheme. The basic backstory I came up with was that the army was an Imperial force sent in to crush a chaos uprising that then fell to chaos itself.

@Forever- As I posted a few lines above, I've actually constructed a lot more than what's been shown so far, I just don't have photos of it all...yet.

Brother-Sergeant

Rise. Rise! I command this thread to rise from the grave!

Yes, this is thread necromancy, but it's my thread, so I'll do what I want. Obviously, the thread died a long time ago with the project uncompleted. The new Tyranids with all the new options needed building and testing, the fact that I was needed to help run the Con instead of playing, and a whole host of other factors kept me from completing the project. But now things are different. The Tyranids are "done". Last week I finally brought my latest 2k build up to table ready status, giving me about 5-6k table ready in all. In the 8 months since the project was abandoned, I've taken a sculpting class and a painting masterclass. I've also manged to further refine the army concept and get a little more disposable income to buy models.

I've also decided to take a different approach to the army and this thread. I'll be coming at it as more of an escalation build. I'm starting with just 500 points, and then building, painting, and playing my way up to over 3k.

Here's the first 500 point list I've put together:

Company Command Squad with 4 plasma guns
    Chimera with multilaser and heavy bolter

Veteran Squad with 3 melta guns
    Chimera with multilaser and heavy bolter

Infantry platoon
    Command Squad with 4 flamers
    (x2) Platoon with grenade launcher and autocannon

Attached below are pictures of the medusae/artillery platform I'm building, as well as a test color scheme. I'm actually not completely pleased with the test scheme. The colors don't "pop". I need to see what it looks like on one of the lava bases, and maybe try a "greyer" brown, like P3's Gun Corps Brown.

Name:	P2160041.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	817

Name:	test model.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	221.1 KB 
ID:	818

Lux

Brother-Sergeant

As I said in my last post, I'm not overly happy with the test paint scheme it follows the camo patterns that will be on the vehicles, but it just seems to be missing.....something. So last night I did a little experiment- I painted one guardsmen in a "cool" scheme starting with P3 Umbral Umber, working up to P3 Gun Corps Brown (a greyish brown, similar to GW Graveyard Earth). I painted a 2nd guardsmen just like the original test scheme, but did a little more with the Bestial Brown highlights to make them stand out. On both models I also painted the rebreather mask. One model went up to Khaki, to go with the colder colors, while the other went to P3's Rucksack Tan, a warmer, yellower tan. Both models still need some work done to be considered completely finished, but they're good enough to decide which color scheme to use on the army.

You can see the two test scheme's below. I'm still not sure which to go with, but I'm leaning towards the bestial brown one, simply because it's closer to the original scheme I showed in the first post. I also mounted both models to bases. Like the models, the bases aren't finished, but they're close enough to get an idea of how the end products will look.

I also did some work on one of the two chimera's that'll be in the 500pt list.

Name:	PB130014.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	831Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB130015.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	169.3 KB 
ID:	832

Name:	PB130017.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	833

All this said, I've got most of the infantry for the 500pt list built, and I may try a few more test schemes tonight.

I gotta tell you though, the most annoying part of the process is filing off the aquillas.

Name:	PB080002.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	830

Lux

Couldn't you deface the Imperial iconography and then sort of cover it up with symbols of the ruinous powers? That might be easier to do than getting them off completely and could add a bit of character to your models. You could use FW etched brass for the chaos symbols, you could use a bit of green stuff, or you could do it with paint. You could also add some additional flair such as putting on an aquila upside down with the heads cut off.

Brother-Sergeant

Yep. I am doing a bit of that. And some models will simply have the aquilla painted over with a chaos symbol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast