BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Veteran-Sergeant

Well I just watched the video and it looks like a pretty keen game.

No maneuver dial no defense dice shoot first then move!?! Well its gonna have a way different play style to it.
    So it looks like the three colors of dice all represent different weapon types? It would be cool if you can get the mat they were using.
    I really thought it was cool how squadrons are moved out of the way by the player not moving the ship, you want to watch your maneuvers lest your opponent get to bugger up where the ships are, so it's good you can play with the measure stick before moving.

At first I thought that would be the big gimmick of the game (Cuz they are different from anything else I have ever seen, except maybe the measure stick from Doomfleet) but now it looks like the action cup is what the game is all about. Having to assign them at the start of the game means you better have a plan when going in, also those refresh abilities (like reassign damage) look important too (Till the blue dice get going!)

Average sized game is 300 points, definitely gonna cost more than X-Wing (Does anyone know what wave ships are going for?) and take longer too. I really liked how X-Wing is all to scale (Scaling issues are what make attack wing look like crap, not to mention the paint jobs, looks like I got that ship from a Kinder Suprise!) but Armada is not to scale yet I find I don't care, they try and get close plus it's a whole different set of game rules!

I gotta say though... Those grey cups they use for the actions are damned ugly nothing more pleasing than grey. Also I wasn't a big fan of the wound indicator on the Squadron bases it all seems so much less definitive when you can see all the numbers...

All in all my current view is that I will buy the Starter box and give it a go but I'm not gaga over it like I am for X-Wing you know? X-Wing is exciting like a pod race or a Puerto Rican with a wooden leg were Armada is slow and ponderous more like stuff that was going on in the background during all the cool dogfight scenes. But hey they barely scratched on how squadrons work in that video so maybe it will be more action packed than watching it looked like...

Chapter-Master

You almost perfectly nailed my impressions of Armada. I like that it 'feels' like a capital ship game. I was never keen on attack wing just because I can't wrap my head around capital ships scooting around the board like fighters. (Also the model scale and quality was quite the turnoff). I think the fun factor for Armada will really take off when the Wave 1-2 ships trickle out. On a side note the little squadrons of 3 ships remind me of the X-wing game pieces from the old Destroy Death Star game I had as a wee one back in the 80's. Although these are far nicer models.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Veteran-Sergeant

I thought it was really cool how if you take the speed option in the wee grey cup it will increase or decrease your speed by one, and it stays there until you select the speed option again that is so cool!

Reminds me a bit of Battlefleet Gothic, though I only ever played a demo game. It was wicked when they used to do that.

Chapter-Master

Starting to toy around with Armada this weekend. Had a chance o test paint a couple squadrons to see how the look. You can do quite a bit with the X-Wings especially. Thankfully it's a lot easier to get a reasonable look on the Ties. I'm really digging the game itself. Won't be 100% in until I get some time with gameplay but conceptually and visually I'm sold.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

I know it's terribly subjective, but how are the paint jobs on the capital ships?

Trying to figure out if I just saw a 'factory seconds' batch sent out for demo purposes?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Roughly equivalent to X-Wing figures. There are plenty of juicy details on some of the larger capital ships. The little squadron ships are 'ok' although not as detailed as I had hoped. I think it will actually be a great game once the Wave 1 ships drop and we have more options and different squadrons.
    My Truescale Insanity

Chapter-Master

I can understand why FFG didn't paint the little squadron ships as they are a bit of a chore. Here's a first mock up of the one's in the box. Anyone else played around with the idea of painting these yet? The size is an issue but the biggest problem is most of the models have flash (some heavy) and many are warped! Before I get started with the others I should probably hit them with the boiling water.

My Truescale Insanity

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    I know it's terribly subjective, but how are the paint jobs on the capital ships?

Trying to figure out if I just saw a 'factory seconds' batch sent out for demo purposes?
    I very much like the Victory class SD, that is a beautiful miniature.

The Nebulon-B is 'meh' at the most

The Corellian Corvette is nice but its very small size (for a "capital" ship) will take some getting used to (even if it is 'relatively' oversized)

I quite like the (unpainted) fighter models, there are so many of them in the Core set it really feels like a major fleet engagement. Detailed enough for gameplay.

Veteran-Sergeant

I saw it in the store the other day pricey little box...
    Looking at it I was trying to figure out the price savings, shirley there must be a savings involved in this purchase?
    Bam! It has like six TIE Squadrons in it.

One more good haul of Scum and I should be ready for this game.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123