BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 8 of 101 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

If Falcons get Assault Vehicle, then Battlewagons with 'Ard Cases should definitely get it, and Rhinos should get it as well. There's no argument you can make against those that wouldn't apply ten times more to a Falcon.
    Rhinos shouldn't get assault vehicle because SM's already have two assault vehicles available to them. There, thats settled. What is up with this marine relativism anyways? Why should a rule that applies to a falcon apply to a rhino anyways? What the hell are you talking about? I don't follow your logic at all.

You're saying that the falcon shouldn't get the assault vehicle rule because its ... a tank? The recommendation to buy a DE vehicle for my banshees is laughable and doesn't even merit a response.

Assault isn't going to be "fixed" in any meaningful way. Its obvious that the rules designers wanted it to be difficult to assault out of vehicles and they bestowed the ability to assault out of vehicles to certain units for every faction where assault is actually a thing you want to do. The Eldar book doesn't have that ability for some reason. Its certainly not because the units being delivered are too strong and don't warrant protection. Its not the only reason why Eldar assault doesn't exist in a meaningful way, but its a contributing factor.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Wait, what's wrong with striking scorpions? I've been quite happy with their performance on the battlefield.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by deinol View Post
    Wait, what's wrong with striking scorpions? I've been quite happy with their performance on the battlefield.
    Well, they're probably the worst "specialized CC unit" in the game outside of the the poor banshees of course (an honor formerly held by flayed ones). Against anything thats more than a space marine in combat they're woefully outmatched and unfortunately are nothing more than an exarch delivery mechanism. Unfortunately, I really don't know how to fix them either. Their problem is mostly that they're not usually doing enough wounds to survive the blowback from a dedicated assault unit. They also have a delivery issue but we have covered that already in this thread.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

I would like to see the Banshees get an ability to simulate their scream (IE namesakes) that debuffs enemies/"buffs themselves" on the charge... and a worthwhile debuff that makes Banshees scary when they assault certain targets. Maybe an invulnerability save against Overwatch, Banshees strike first (terrain does matter), and Enemy WS reduced. Make the Striking Scorpions more of the main line melee for Eldar while Banshees are more of an alpha strike.

Just a thought... Of coarse not suggesting Eldar become Melee gods just give their melee something meaningful...

It'll still be tougher than a Rhino, have more firepower, and be faster and better able to get around the battlefield.
    And is nearly 3 times as expensive... what do you want to tell us?

The problem with Banshees, even if they get a formation that gives them +1 WS, +1 S, and +1 Attack, then they're basically death cult assassins and we know how popular those are.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowcatX View Post
    The problem with Banshees, even if they get a formation that gives them +1 WS, +1 S, and +1 Attack, then they're basically death cult assassins and we know how popular those are.
    At a reasonable ppm I'd eat those up.

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Well, they're probably the worst "specialized CC unit" in the game outside of the the poor banshees of course (an honor formerly held by flayed ones). Against anything thats more than a space marine in combat they're woefully outmatched and unfortunately are nothing more than an exarch delivery mechanism. Unfortunately, I really don't know how to fix them either. Their problem is mostly that they're not usually doing enough wounds to survive the blowback from a dedicated assault unit. They also have a delivery issue but we have covered that already in this thread.
    I guess I just use them to threaten troops (infiltrate helps a lot) and durably (for Eldar) grab objectives. Occasionally tank hunting with the exarch.

I tend to shoot the other guys dedicated assault, and charge weaker targets.

Of course, now that I have a harlequin book, I haven't had spare points for scorpions. Love those Star Weavers.

Hmm. So you don't want a light transport which gives you Assault Vehicle... but you'd tell Orks they should be happy to have them.

Can't see why a dedicated transport vehicle designed for delivering guys into combat should be an Assault Vehicle if a tank that happens to be able to carry a handful of people should be able to. (Heck, even the Orkanauts aren't Assault Vehicles. And they literally stomp into the middle of the enemy army to do their business, so what the heck else are the models inside supposed to be for?)

So, basically, there's Eldar players wanting an upgrade that makes absolutely zero sense, and they can't even defend the idea (because it makes no bloody sense, which they'll admit if you sub in another army).

This is why we can't have nice things, kids.

Personally, I'd rather all transports go back to being "assault vehicles." I'd also prefer for assault to mean something.

But yeah, Eldar players? You can cry a river, but it won't make me feel bad for you. I play an army that was pushed to be assault, but now has no invulnerable save in combat, and no power weapons except claws (striking last) for characters. The only unit with "power weapons" (Burna Boyz) cost 16 points per model, with no armor, so they're expensive and die easily. Orks have a choice of either lightly armored open-topped vehicles or not being able to assault. The Orkanaut has a six model transport capacity, is designed for getting in close, but isn't an Assault vehicle. We don't have bright lances, starcannons, shuriken weapons, haywire, etc., etc., ad nauseum, to make up for that stuff, either. So I'm not about to feel bad for you.

Maybe drop the Falcon points a touch (though probably not), but preferably just fix the bloody Wave Serpent so it's not got the firepower of a battle tank.

Hmm. So you don't want a light transport which gives you Assault Vehicle... but you'd tell Orks they should be happy to have them.
    Dark Eldar are happy with theirs too...
    I bet even Eldar would be happy with it IF IT WAS IN THEIR CODEX AND THEY DID NOT NEED TO ALLY.
    Giving a single Raider to Eldar costs as much as a LANDRAIDER.

but preferably just fix the bloody Wave Serpent so it's not got the firepower of a battle tank.
    While costing as much as a battle tank...

Page 8 of 101 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast