BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 51 of 101 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Let's drop the hyperbole.

It's not everyone and is a direct middle finger to the so called competitive crowd who banned ranged strength D. We don't know points cost yet not do we know the big picture of how the codex works together.
    Oh aye, i know. I try and hold my opinions until i see the whole package but occasionally some over reaction slips out.

GW dont need to try and say FU to competitive play. Ive never liked the idea that some of the internet has that competitive play and balenced play are two different things. Good in a competiton is being a level playing field, which os what makes normal gameplay fun as well
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

First-Captain

Do we have to go through this song and dance every time? Its getting ridiculous.

Brother-Sergeant

I like the intent of the new core + other bits detachment, though perhaps not the execution. Will need to see what the points cost/min unit sizes are to see what can be put on the table at a particular points cost.

It always annoyed me that you couldn't take a couple of War Walkers and Engines of Vaul if you used up your 3 heavy slots on vehicles. Never seemed to represent a warhost very well.

It's a bit like the old card based army selection from epic where you had a core force and that opened x number of support units and an HQ/Special card.

I miss epic

Finally some Seers on bikes. Nice models, but a bit pricey in Aussie $s for the 1 model clam pack.

First-Captain

I think the execution is fine too, for all the whining about 12 C'Tan lists, the reality is that the points make that unfeasible.

Don't like the restrictions of the new Formation? Use the CAD or just pick and choose the Formations you like, or go Unbound, its really simple

I will need to sit down with the codex and work out the formations implications (assuming no changes to points, rules etc apart from what is known).

I normally run a war walker squadron (SC/SL) although with the loss of laser lock I will need to revisit the weapon fit, the Vauls Wrath support battery is a unit of 1-3 currently and I tend to run one with a shadow weaver as it is cheap in points, tough and if well placed can cause an opponent mobility issues, if all distort weapons are strength D a battery of 3 with D cannons becomes frightening unless the points go up significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    The tax for the formation is insane... 1 farseer, 3 squads of guardians, a vyper squad, a war walker squad and a support battery (holy hell what are you going to spend the rest of your points on? A squad of rangers?)
    Well, as I've been saying, they're trying to make every game Apoc, and even as WFB collapsed because of the cost of building large armies, they keep trying to push the number of models you have to buy for 40K up, thinking that it being their flagship game can save it from WFB's fate (because they're all coked-up or on some kind of happy pills or something).

Units like Howling Banshees can't be fixed because they're relics of a time when the game's scope was much smaller. These days every battle is Epic 40K in 28mm.

The more I see, the more I think 40K's moving away from me as someone who just wants to spend 2-3 hours playing a fun game with people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    Really hopimg this "Destroyer rule for everybody" rule is wrong. Mistranslations, over exageration whatever. Just please let it not be true.

Replacing the Wave Serpent with something rver more broken is not the solution!
    Sure it is. Everyone bought Wave Serpents, now they'll want to buy the new hotness.

It's a solution for what they care about. And if you think there's anything wrong with that, just remember there's people on this forum ready to tell you to "Stop Your Whinging!" as the topic is titled...

Dude....

Warhammer's issue wasn't the scaling up. Those of us who have been playing for donkey's years welcomed that, because it meant the bigger games were more fun, with more dice being chucked about. The issue for Warhammer was that for a long, long time, it just didn't offer as much fun at smaller (less than 1,500 to my tastes) games.

40k simply doesn't have that issue because of its base mechanics - it remains a skirmish levelled game at heart, with freedom of movement and objective seizing remaining key to winning. It still plays satisfyingly at low points levels, say around 500. And as Necron player, who previously had a minimum point spend damned near 500, I'd say it plays better than it did with our first codex.

It's a natural progression for a game to cater to ever larger games. The longer a game is around, the bigger people's collections get, and we all want the option of really big 'bung it all on the table' dust ups. Yes, we now have Super Heavies and Formations and Unbound and Lions and Tigers and Bears and Gargantuan Creatures and Weasels and Ferrets and Badgers and Squirrels open to us. But that's largely because following the success of the first incarnation of Apocalypse (which damned near broke Forgeworld), we players had those big spangly units now, and it seemed a shame they could only really be played in Apocalypse.

Relax and chill - 40k has more options open to us than ever before. Stop stressing about what the next person is doing with their hobby, and just enjoy your own.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

First-Captain

I really don't get why its so hard to shoot your opponent a message saying "fancy 1500pt 40k, no super heavies?" if that's what you want?

A community of well adjusted people should be self regulating because any abusive players (more so than ever in the age of social media and connectedness) will be identified and shunned until they change their ways.

Locally, we had a bit of a schism of late, there was a League/Tournament ran for a few years that was slowly dominated and eventually organised, by a minority of competitive players who cared not a jot about fluff, it was netlists, bunkering eldar with wave serpent spam, the lot. The other players who just wanted a game voiced concerns or asked for options to tone down the abuses as the rules were being tuned to favour competitive players.

This wasn't happening so instead, we organised our own group, 15 -20 of us set up an informal campaign and over a month we had hundreds of battles over the planet of Scythia, people wrote custom missions, hundreds of pages of fluff, battle reports, heroes were born and villians beheaded.

The hobby is what you make it. Its not about the competitive tournament crowd, its about what your friends want to do to have fun.
    Last edited by Path Walker; 04-15-2015 at 05:46 AM.

Chapter-Master

Jetbikes are great, they look exactly how I thought they would. I'll be glad to never have to see those 2nd edition ones on the GW website ever again. The winged autarch is also nice and I think that new cover is nicer than the previous one.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Let's not turn this into a "competitive playes are ruining the hobby" thread, we have plenty of those.

Page 51 of 101 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast