BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 101 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    I'll give you Waaargh Orks as a fluff book, but Ere We Go and Freebooterz were chock full army lists, 7 between them.
    Army lists that were various varieties and mixups of what they already had for the most part, all the army lists can easily be replicated with the modern ork codex except maybe the Chaos Boyz and the Hybrids, but they have so many more units now that saying they have less variety is ridiculous. If I want a renegade Runtherd mob, easily done, Bad Doks? Use Unbound and you can make whatever lists you can imagine, they're the rules, use them.

And you can't complain about rules balance being out of whack and then complain that you don't have variety and zaniness of Rogue Trader, those are two ideas that are totally in opposition.
    Last edited by Path Walker; 03-31-2015 at 03:45 AM.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    And you can't complain about rules balance being out of whack and then complain that you don't have variety and zaniness of Rogue Trader, those are two ideas that are totally in opposition.
    I present to you most other wargames as a counter point, namely infinity.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    I present to you most other wargames as a counter point, namely infinity.
    Doesn't have the zaniness of Rogue Trader, so doesn't address the point in the slightest. But nice try for you, must be hard.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

oh poor little path, the point is, that you can have an elaborate and insanely complex wargame without sacrificing game balance, but I guess that went over your head. To hard for you? hows the headache?
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Glad I have that troll blocked so I don't see his posts except when people reply to them. The whole thing with claiming the Ork books in RT didn't have army lists was especially stupid, given that I pointed out examples, and then I also noted examples from 3rd edition (which certainly wasn't known for being fluff books). It's amazing that someone will make a blatantly false argument just to be argumentative.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    It's amazing that someone will make a blatantly false argument just to be argumentative.
    All part of the GW Hobby Experience (TM) apparently.

Orks were great though weren't they :-)
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    Orks were great though weren't they :-)
    Yeah... It bothers me when people talk about all the "variety" in the game right now and I see nothing on the horizon to bring back Madboyz, Boarboyz, clan variations, Skarboyz, Cyborks, etc. As much as people love to talk about Orks "getting stuff" in the latest codex (ooo, Orkanauts which rarely see the battlefield and Mek Guns that are bloody expensive and just bringing back some variety that used to exist), they've by now lost a lot of access to Burnas, completely lost power weapons on Nobs that aren't klaws (despite being modeled with them), have no invulnerable save in combat (cybork bodies are pretty much a joke), and don't have the aforementioned units, or the kind of variety of weapons you'd see in their vehicles and weapons.

Screw the Eldar getting another Craftworld, give me Codex: Blood Axes already! I want my looted Imperial stuff. And Kult of Speed, and Feral Orks, and Freebooterz. I suppose giving the Eldar Exodites would be a fair tradeoff, especially as the Lizardmen took Jurassic Park into space.

Librarian

Screw the Eldar getting another Craftworld, give me Codex: Blood Axes already! I want my looted Imperial stuff. And Kult of Speed, and Feral Orks, and Freebooterz. I suppose giving the Eldar Exodites would be a fair tradeoff, especially as the Lizardmen took Jurassic Park into space.
    To be honest mate I think if you wait long enough they'll get there. If the Genestealer Cult actually happens I'll take it as a sign that anything is possible.
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Hmm...

Just a pondering for my tupenny's worth.....

Orks got Codex Ghaz, which in many ways is Codex Goffs - Ghaz being the living embodiment of Goff 'Ardness. No new models, as Goffs are more or less your atypical Orkyform - the base reading from which the other clans are derived by stressing one particular area of Orkyness.

Eldar? Codex Iyanden. No new models specifically, but new ways to play a Wraith Construct heavy army - coinciding with a Wraith Construct heavy main army release (and lord knows those Wraithguard needed plastification).

Now, haven't got many of the other spin off Codecies yet - I'm a bit behind in my collection, but I'm wondering if this 'Craftworld' Codex will be a specific Craftworld - perhaps as others have said Saim Hann - a way to cross promote with the rumoured new jetbikes, rather than be the recipient of new kits just for that army, and is reflective of the shape of things to come. Codex Nazdreg for instance would be a background book about Badmoon Warboss Nazdreg specifically (Orky clans would struggle to fill a book of their own on a one for one basis. Individual Warlords, much better!) which would present Bad Moon Warband rules.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

First-Captain

Yeah... It bothers me when people talk about all the "variety" in the game right now and I see nothing on the horizon to bring back Madboyz, Boarboyz, clan variations, Skarboyz, Cyborks, etc. As much as people love to talk about Orks "getting stuff" in the latest codex (ooo, Orkanauts which rarely see the battlefield and Mek Guns that are bloody expensive and just bringing back some variety that used to exist), they've by now lost a lot of access to Burnas, completely lost power weapons on Nobs that aren't klaws (despite being modeled with them), have no invulnerable save in combat (cybork bodies are pretty much a joke), and don't have the aforementioned units, or the kind of variety of weapons you'd see in their vehicles and weapons.

Current Units not in 2nd Edition or Rogue Trader Ork Armies:
    Nob squads, Trukks, Big Meks, Killa Kans, Mork/Gorkanaughts, Burnas, Stompas, Dakka Jet, Burna Bomma, Blitza Bomma, Tankbustas, Deffkoptas.

Units in the Rogue Trader/2nd Ed books not currently available:

Ork Genestealer Hybrids (1 model), Khorne Stormboyz (2 models), Madboyz, Boarboyz, Skarboyz (you could probably say these were Nobz and remove them from both lists as they're similar fluffwise)

So, we have 3 models, a daft unit no one used because it was utterly silly in an army of silliness and Boarboyz, which, again, no one liked at the time because they were anachronistic.

List wise, what can't you build? Kult of Speed, take all bikes and boyz in trukks, throw in some Buggies, same as it ever was.
    Stormboyz armies can use the Vulcha Squad formation, Mek/walker armys have Formations and a current FW list, you can use Flash Gitz and the Badrukk formation to make a more flavoured Freeboota army than the one in the book, which just had Boyz.

Feral Orks were only a playable army with a 3rd edition White Dwarf list and was supposed to represent Feral Orks pushed into battle by more , barely used at the time, but if you wanted to do it, I'd use Grot rules for Feral Boyz, Grot Blastas are about as effective as an Ork bow/thrown rock would be.

Blood Axes? Finkin' Cap Warboss, Red Skull Kommandos Formation, Kommandos, Boyz, Looted Wagons.

List of Klan variations in any edition of Codex Orks:

1. Erm
    2. Nope

Moaning that Orks have less variety is either pathetic whining or ignorance.
    Last edited by Path Walker; 03-31-2015 at 06:04 AM.

Page 5 of 101 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast