BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Nope. Flexibility = good.
    In what sense?
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Unexpected problems can pop up throughout the process of getting things from the design stage to retail, they would want to allow as much flexibility to swap things around if they need too. Not to say that it is entirely fluid or anything, WD gets printed 3-6 months in advance so at that point things will be pretty much set in concrete but prior to that point things could get moved around if they need to.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Librarian

Unexpected problems can pop up throughout the process of getting things from the design stage to retail, they would want to allow as much flexibility to swap things around if they need too. Not to say that it is entirely fluid or anything, WD gets printed 3-6 months in advance so at that point things will be pretty much set in concrete but prior to that point things could get moved around if they need to.
    Ok cool. Thanks for expanding.

I've squirreled away a copy of this new timeline, it'll be interesting to see how reality matches up as the months pass.
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

gets printed 3-6 months in advance so at that point things will be pretty much set in concrete but prior to that point things could get moved around if they need to.
    Oh really? Do you not recall that GW was able to throw in a new dataslate for Orks to fix the lack of Looted Wagon in the codex when that rumor popped up just a week or two before the codex's release? The magazine isn't locked that far in advance. Nor does it have to be.

Seriously, what century do you guys think we're in? You can throw together a magazine as small as WD is and get it printed in under a week easily, and modify it at any time. It's a small publication, very cheap to produce (and throw away when it doesn't sell). It's similar to the flyers we can put together, print, and ship out to our sales staff in short order. If they were having to lock in things months in advance (which, again, we've already seen isn't remotely the case), then I'd suggest they get a new printer.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    Oh really? Do you not recall that GW was able to throw in a new dataslate for Orks to fix the lack of Looted Wagon in the codex when that rumor popped up just a week or two before the codex's release? The magazine isn't locked that far in advance. Nor does it have to be.

Seriously, what century do you guys think we're in? You can throw together a magazine as small as WD is and get it printed in under a week easily, and modify it at any time. It's a small publication, very cheap to produce (and throw away when it doesn't sell). It's similar to the flyers we can put together, print, and ship out to our sales staff in short order. If they were having to lock in things months in advance (which, again, we've already seen isn't remotely the case), then I'd suggest they get a new printer.
    I guess it depends what you believe. I don't think they cobbled together a quick dataslate as a fix for a missing vehicle, I think they thought 'Hey here's a neat idea to screw another £2.40 out of the Ork players when they're picking up their Codex.' But then I'm a cynic.

I have no issue with the concept of rapid turnaround on printed media, especially on something as frankly uninspiring as the contemporary White Dwarf, but I still don't think there is any requirement for it it to be so fleet of foot, to use an old and oft missed phrase.

Yep.

Looted Vehicles aren't sold over the counter, so less need for them in the Codex. But bung a planned dataslate into the then newly weekly WD, and you boost sales, and get people used to the new format to boot.

WD isn't printed in the UK. It's either Eastern Europe, or China (not sure which since it went Weekly, I never bother checking), so that adds shipping time, quite easily in excess of the two weeks Erik seems to be implying.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Tau and Raven Guard in one box!? Someone read my wishlist!
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Thank you Erik for providing an example of what I was talking about re:flexibility. The exact time line of when WD can no longer be changes is irrelevant, the point is GWs schedule is not set in stone 12-18 months in advance.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Eldar jetbikes?

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Has anyone tried mounting a standard Warlock on the back of a Harlequin Jetbike?

Seems like a really easy, if slightly rubbish looking due to most Warlock's static poses, way to get Warlock Jetbikes in your army?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast