BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Hybrid View

Default X-Wing Newbie - Advice?

I'm likely going to branch out into non-GW games again soon, and X-Wing has always had my interest as I love Star Wars and the X-Wing series of novels by Stackpole and Alstone (RIP, pal) were pretty much my absolute favorites. I have the core box and I've just dragged out the quick-start and full rules to read over the next day or two, will probably set up for a test game against myself on my table.

I'm considering jumping into the third faction, the wonderful bounty hunters and smugglers and all who don't care about the war and just want to do their own thing. It's got ships like Slave 1, IG-2000, and a bunch of other fun stuff. Then I might go Rebels later, but very much thinking "Scum and Villainy" sounds like fun. (Also, the other people I know are likely going to go Rebels and Imps.)

Is there any advice you all can give to a new X-Wing player, and especially with that particular faction?

First-Captain

I's tough to go wrong with a firespray. There are great builds with both Emon Azzamean dropping bombs all over the place. The other pilots are also good and there's Bobba of course.
    I'd start a scum list with a firespray definitely and if you fancy doing tournaments...get 2!

Fly it like you stole it!

Defy your opponents predictions by having no idea what you're doing!

Has worked for me so far!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Well, that was pretty much how I won a 40K tournament, so might as well.

What's the usual points value for a game? Rulebook suggests 100. I can throw a Firespray (Emon), an Agressor (with any of the IG-88's), and a StarViper (Black Sun Vigo) in there. Or swap out one for some fighters and/or upgrades. The Most Wanted Pack has a Y-Wing and two Z-95s. Heck, Emon, two Black Sun Soldiers in Z-95s, and Drea Renthal (the middle option for Y-Wing in this army builder program I have) is 84 points, which only leaves 16 for options (or another Z-95). That'd only be just a touch over $50 from Amazon (Most Wanted and Slave 1). I can add IG-2000, a Starviper, and an M3-A Interceptor, and it'll come to $102, which would let me go with 150-200 points (would have to go with elite pilots and some addons to get to 200).

Is that a solid starting point? (I'd have to break it into two waves, but thankfully I still have a $50 Amazon gift card from my birthday.)

Iron Father

To begin playing, you will need at least 1 core set. Most people buy two. This gives you the rule books and all the items you will need to play the game, like templates, damage cards, dice and meteors etc. That will also give you 4 tie fighters and 2 x-wings, not the sexiest ships but to learn the game mechanics they are great. 100 pts is the size of most games, especially in tournaments. Once you have the stuff you will need then you will branch out and pick a faction. Looks like your into the villainy stuff which I've not played but looks pretty nice.

Edit....oops read you op properly. You have the core set.......then start playing like a bounty hunter and have fun. I have 2 fires sprays, imperial ones but the are great. I repainted mine as well. Lots of fun dropping mines all over the place.
    Last edited by Deadlift; 03-30-2015 at 10:50 AM.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

I think the only change to the Firespray is some additional cards in the Most Wanted pack, but you still have to buy Slave 1, which is just under $25 on Amazon. Seems that's a must-have pack for the Scum and Villainy group (is that actually the official title for the faction?).

I'm surprised there aren't options for other YT-2400 pilots. I'd say YT-1300, but the only one of those available is the Millennium Falcon, and it's a distinct ship (IIRC, they modified the sensor array, among other things, so the profile isn't the same as a standard YT-1300, whereas all of Slave 1's mods are under the skin). As it is, I have to get Rebel fighters (and a light freighter) for about half the options in the faction... and since the cards for them will be in Most Wanted, yeah, looks like that's the pack for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Good point on the second boxed set, though. I was looking at more dice and maybe some extra counters, but it'd be most cost-effective to just get a second starter box. Throw in an X-Wing and TIE Fighter add-on and it'll be three X-Wings and five TIE Fighters with plenty of options for how to run them, decent core for Rebel and Imp factions down the line.