BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Hybrid View

Default A Noob's Decision

Hey everyone,

I am trying to decide which army i want to play with.
    I've toyed with grey knights (as in assembled/painted the models), and i don't really like the models.
    however, i am really interested i the Tau, and the Space Wolves really excite me.
    Which should i pick?

Thanks in advance,
    Spark

P.S. i am a complete. beginner, as implied in the title.

Occuli Imperator

Pick which one you like the most

There are several ways to make a decision.

1) What is the latest army (and buy that)

2) Which army do you like the models the most of

3) Which army do you like the back story of best

Any choice is good
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Thank you very much, Wolfshade, but i like the grey knights. After actually taking a look at the models, i figured i actually like the grey knights. i reasoned that, if i lavished so much Nuln Oil, (that's a Citadel Wash), i actually ;like the grey knights. and besides GREYKNIGHTS ARE AWESOME!!!! They are so pure, they can stare a Bloodthirster (a greater Daemon of Khorne) in the face and not go crazy!
    thanks for your time( and response),
    Spark.

Occuli Imperator

You could always collect GKs and some other armies
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

After some thinking, i think i will try to build up the grey knights army at the outset, and build the tau as a 2nd army.
    What Do you think of the following:
    1 Librarian
    2 Strike squads (5 men each)
    Justicar has falchions, others have swords
    Incinerator (Each squad)
    1 razorback
    1 dreadnough tw/ assault cannon &missile launcher.
    Total:511pts
    Thanks,
    Spark
    Last edited by Spark Sully; 03-30-2015 at 03:01 PM.

Chapter-Master

Sounds like a good plan. When I got rolling in the hobby I did a 1 human to 1 xenos ratio as I collected the various races.

Are you looking for fluffy basement gaming fun type lists or hoping to mine the points to performance ratio meta?
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by Spark Sully View Post
    After some thinking, i think i will try to build up the grey knights army at the outset, and build the tau as a 2nd army.
    What Do you think of the following:
    1 Librarian
    2 Strike squads (5 men each)
    Justicar has falchions, others have swords
    Incinerator (Each squad)
    1 razorback
    1 dreadnough tw/ assault cannon &missile launcher.
    Total:511pts
    Thanks,
    Spark
    Nice bread and butter to start from there - and IMO you have picked a great fun army to start with. Less models, easier to paint, store, manage transport, and they can be totally boss when used right.
    A few notes on what you got there:
    Libby - Nice. Level 3 in termie armor is my go to HQ choice.
    Strike squads. Love it, probably want a hammer or two in there though for anti armor. Justicar with a daemon hammer and hammerhand is pretty boss at wrecking vehicles.
    Rhino has a lot more flex than the razorback (fitting 10 dudes and with firing ports for them incinerators!)
    Dreadnought lost a lot with the new dex and when you flesh out your collection he sadly might not see much use

I reckon your next purchases/ebay sniping should be looking for whatever you can get at a good price:
    5 Terminators (again, at least one dude with a hammer!) or a Nemesis Dreadknight (might run the wallet a bit higher than 5 termies but they are MEGA. I run teleporter, hammer and incinerator as standard, psycannon and the force shooter if I have points to spare).

Have fun with em dude, the force power weapons and psychic powers can make you a REALLY REALLY strong matchup for certain armies (nids, daemons, certain dark eldar builds)