BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

I'll second the combat squad option. It is often underused but it's really cool!
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    I'll second the combat squad option. It is often underused but it's really cool!
    It's cool too because if you're facing an army that doesn't really do psychic stuff (Tau, Necrons, IG, Orks) you don't combat squad because you don't need the extra points and you want the extra survivability. If you're facing Demons or any other army that use lots of psychic power, you combat squad and hide from the ap3 flamers by keeping both squads in the rhino!

Ok I'm not a GK player, but here's what I think would be decent for a GK army:
    +++ Grey Knights (1850pts) +++

++ Grey Knights: Codex (2014) (Combined Arms Detachment) ++

+ HQ +

Librarian [Nemesis warding stave, Psyker [ML 3], Storm bolter]

+ Troops +

Strike Squad [7x Grey Knight (sword), Rhino]
    ····2x Grey Knight (incinerator) [2x Incinerator]
    ····Justicar [Nemesis warding stave]

Strike Squad [7x Grey Knight (sword), Rhino]
    ····2x Grey Knight (incinerator) [2x Incinerator]
    ····Justicar [Nemesis warding stave]

Terminator Squad
    ····4x Terminator (falchions) [8x Nemesis falchion]
    ····Terminator (psycannon) [Psycannon, Two Nemesis falchions]
    ····Terminator Justicar [Nemesis warding stave]

+ Fast Attack +

Interceptor Squad
    ····9x Interceptor (falchions) [18x Nemesis falchion]
    ····Interceptor Justicar [Nemesis warding stave]

Stormraven Gunship [Extra armour, Searchlight, Twin-linked lascannon, Twin-linked multi-melta]

+ Heavy Support +

Nemesis Dreadknight [Heavy Incinerator, Heavy Psycannon, Nemesis greatsword and power fist, Personal teleporter]

Nemesis Dreadknight [Heavy Incinerator, Heavy Psycannon, Nemesis greatsword and power fist, Personal teleporter]

Created with [url=http://www.battlescribe.net]BattleScribe[/url]

Chapter-Master

Terminators are a far, far better troops option than Strike Squads. The main reason to take a Strike Squad would be to fill troop slots at minimal points. Otherwise, very meh.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

I did Strike Squads because he already has two min size units of them so this minimizes the extra stuff he has to get.

I have only 1 strike squad, but I could buy another one, then my HQ. And so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark Sully View Post
    I have only 1 strike squad, but I could buy another one, then my HQ. And so on.
    Well as Dark Link said, terminators are better troops. 2+ armour 5+invul and you can buff that to a 4++ as well.

The strike squads and termies are both solid troop choices.
    Psychic Termies at 165 per squad with ObSec are very survivable and A LOT more cost effective than other marine books.

BUT I am all about the strike squads, at 20pts a dude. That is 6pts over a space marine and you get ...
    deep strike
    preferred enemy against a power dex in daemons
    psychic powers
    combat squad option for even more extra dice for attack and defence
    psykout grenades
    a storm bolter and a
    FORCE WEAPON.

Ill say that again. 6pts over a space marine

All that on a troop choice that has excellent melee customisability and 'some' shooting flexibility.
    My GK list always starts with one squad of 10 strike squad in a Rhino, making the most of the 20pt Grey Knight (Justicar is 30), with minimal upgrades, probably a daemon hammer on the justicar and one other dude. I'll then have a termie squad, and depending on what Im looking for either a couple of Storm Ravens or a couple of pimped out Dreadknights.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark Sully View Post
    After some thinking, i think i will try to build up the grey knights army at the outset, and build the tau as a 2nd army.
    What Do you think of the following:
    1 Librarian
    2 Strike squads (5 men each)
    Justicar has falchions, others have swords
    Incinerator (Each squad)
    1 razorback
    1 dreadnough tw/ assault cannon &missile launcher.
    Total:511pts
    Thanks,
    Spark
    Nice bread and butter to start from there - and IMO you have picked a great fun army to start with. Less models, easier to paint, store, manage transport, and they can be totally boss when used right.
    A few notes on what you got there:
    Libby - Nice. Level 3 in termie armor is my go to HQ choice.
    Strike squads. Love it, probably want a hammer or two in there though for anti armor. Justicar with a daemon hammer and hammerhand is pretty boss at wrecking vehicles.
    Rhino has a lot more flex than the razorback (fitting 10 dudes and with firing ports for them incinerators!)
    Dreadnought lost a lot with the new dex and when you flesh out your collection he sadly might not see much use

I reckon your next purchases/ebay sniping should be looking for whatever you can get at a good price:
    5 Terminators (again, at least one dude with a hammer!) or a Nemesis Dreadknight (might run the wallet a bit higher than 5 termies but they are MEGA. I run teleporter, hammer and incinerator as standard, psycannon and the force shooter if I have points to spare).

Have fun with em dude, the force power weapons and psychic powers can make you a REALLY REALLY strong matchup for certain armies (nids, daemons, certain dark eldar builds)

I have made a modification to my GKs.
    I gave the Justicar a stave, instead of the falchions
    Also, should i give my dreadnought a power fist, an autocannon, or a missile launcher?
    Thanks,
    Spark.
    Last edited by Spark Sully; 04-15-2015 at 11:50 AM.

Autocannon / Fist or Twin autocannons are my second favorite loadout for GK dreadnought

My first favorite is to make the "NOU" a "KNI" ! Sadly GW has been overcosting dreadnoughts for years.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast