BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Khorne Berzerker - Khorne Daemonkin

Hi Everyone,

I just bought the new Khorne Deamonkin codex and I'm super excited about starting that army.

I want to start with a Khorne berzerker squad but I never really played with them so I'm not sure how should I build them.

I definitely want some Chain axe for the fluff and because I have some Eldar/Orks player in my meta. Should I put 2,3,4?

Should I add Plasma pistol to make my squad a bit verstile?

What do you think? What would be a standard Khorne Berserker setup?

Thanks!

P.S. I know a lot of people think it's a terrible unit, I respect your opinion, but I still want to build and paint a Khorne Berserker unit

Chapter-Master

I have had berzerkers on the go since 2nd edition. I think to get the most out of them, you need to maximise their hand to hand effect. This means a couple of things. Firstly, I don't take a risk with plasma pistols - they get hot and are expensive. Anything you are within 12" of you want to charge - and I would think twice before charging 2+ saves, so the plasma is a bit redundant. I do however recommend 15 points for a power weapon. The Skull Champion must challenge and this helps the result.

I personally have never bothered with chain axes as I think the points are heavy to be AP4. But, as you say, your Meta may merit it. personally I would rather have an extra body than 8 chain axes.

Finally, you need a decent transport with assault vehicle. This means (I think) one of several limited options. First - Land Raider. Second - Spartan. Third - Storm Eagle. Fourth - Kharybdis Assault Claw. The latter 3 are all IA13 vehicles (I recommend it to you).

Lastly, when in doubt, blood for the blood god!
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Denken View Post
    P.S. I know a lot of people think it's a terrible unit, I respect your opinion, but I still want to build and paint a Khorne Berserker unit
    Go my child, and dance among the fields of bones...
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Veteran-Sergeant

as said above - no to plasma pistols, if you think you will encounter vehicles use meltabombs, as said above you want to be charging most things you can!
    in Deamonkin - consider a maxed squad in a landraider. if your meta is full of orks, tau,crons and anything not quite marine buy some chain axes for the raider squad. nothing worse than zerkers being foiled by pesky 5+ or 4+ saves.
    consider an axe of khorne for the champion in a big unit - it is super good on him, its expensive but the champion should live too deliver is bite onto the foe.
    on smaller units of zerkers, consider champions with combi flamers. such a weapon can give an edge for the unit if caught transportless or charged, also fun to blast the foe with before you launch an assault or from the top hatch of a rhino.

other things to look into is allying in some regular chaos marines - so you can use some of IA13 assultclaws. these things are glorious ways to deliver zerkers.
    REMEMBER chaos marines are of a diffrent faction to khorne demonkin , so ally choas marines are just that Allys (so follow the ally matrix. so to max the amount of Dreadclaws you can have is to take a HQ (kharn?) - Troop of marines (can take a Dreadclaws dedicated) - FA (Dreadclaws are a FA choice) or use the Kharybidis assult claw (HS). Just put your zerkers in them and let the good skull times roll
    Last edited by Badtucker; 04-01-2015 at 05:03 AM.

Thanks a lot for all of your answers!

Following your advices and keeping in mind I want to have some chain axe should I keep 4 of them of drop to 2 (on a unit of 8 that will be brought to 10 men)?

No Icon at all?

I will start of with 8 berserkers I already have (they are from an old Battleforce). Then I may buy another box to complete my 10 men squad and have a second 10 men squad. Transport will come later on.

Veteran-Sergeant

icon up large units - its costly but S5 and a charge fleet type rule does help a unit. Always hide a icon barer ( or put it on a champion for handy look out sir ) too many times i have see my icons die before i use them, and then my unit makes it into combat. makes Khorne sad.

axes in a unit of zerkes, in a unit of 8 - id put in 2 - 3, unit larger id up it to 4. in smaller units you will loose models before you get into combat so having fewer makes them survive. And as above .. place them wisely in the unit... ie at the back, and fully remeber that they are fearless so casulties are only going to impede your charge range, not your ability to get up close to the enemy.