BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default The Non-Nostalgic Memories Thread.

So yeah, felt a pressing need to waffle at you, and since nostalgia is done to death (thanks, Hipsters) I thought I'd get us talking about stuff we don't miss from older editions of the game.

I'll kick off with a couple.

Rogue Trader and 2nd Edition Vehicle movement rules.

Urrgh. Headache o'clock. Three different speeds, and you could only go up or down a single bracket. Slow, Combat and Fast. And that turning template thing. Yes, they were arguably realistic, but also a total pain in the bum half the time.

3rd Edition 'Rhino Rush' Blood Angels.

Oh hey look, I've had a single round of shooting (if I'm lucky), and now all you're combat monsters are taking me apart, and simply wandering from combat to combat whilst my troops seemingly stand around picking their noses. 'Orrible, boring experience that. Who knew getting angry makes your ride go fasterer?

So that's two things I was glad to see the back of. Over to you.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Banned

1/2" templates - what was the point?! - or basically any of the Rogue Trader blast rules tbh.

Rapid fire dice.

3+ on 2D6 saves.

That there was a giant period of time where they stopped producing the Land Raider kit (amongst others) so it was just play game how???

2nd ed Wraithguard using the vehicle damage rules and their chart having them not take any damage on a 1 (or was it 1-2?). Either way horrible to deal with.

Related: 2nd ed metal dreadnought - yes you could kill a man with it but it'd break your toes if it fell off the table.

Related: that =I= was 55 not 28mm, such a waste of resources and concept.

Chapter-Master

=][= was just an excuse for some pretty models. It was never going to catch on when you needed an entire second set of terrain.

I was actually quite fond of the Metal Dread, rapid fire dice and 3+ 2d6 saves especially the triple jam assault cannon... seriously everytime I fielded one...

The second edition SW codex though.... that gave them a bad name for a long time.

And the complete pointlessness of second edition transports.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

One Prince Yriel against which I have a long time grudge.

90% of the second edition models were ghastly.
    The format and imagery of the codexs and white dwarf were also ghastly.
    Hmm. Yep you can tell i started in Rogue trader, hid from the cartoon like abomination of 2nd ed and came back in 3rd ed.
    Listing my dislikes of 2nd ed would be too long indeed.
    One of the few jems on 2nd ed was the SM landspeeder, still a nice model now.

Oh i forgot. My biggest cringe ever from 40k... maugan ra and his mauguitar. Really? Looks crap. Sounds terribly cringe worthy too. "Hey, this guy right, he is all in black and has like a really big gun which is black too. Wow, lets call it a guitar yeah? Yeah thats so cool!" No, just no.
    Last edited by Popsical; 04-01-2015 at 07:18 AM.

First-Captain

Sustained Fire Dice, seriously people! And they were ace.

Space Marines in 2nd Ed were basically just "Oh, no, the rules are for you, we have our own" As they Rapid Fired and Knew no Fear.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Popsical View Post
    One of the few jems on 2nd ed was the SM landspeeder, still a nice model now.
    You wouldn't be saying that if you ever tried to use it in a game, damn thing fell apart in a stiff breeze.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    Sustained Fire Dice, seriously people! And they were ace.

I must have autocorrected that in my head cause I'm sure I read it as sustained even as I typed Rapid

Did the current landspeeder come out in second? I thought it was a kit from the 3rd boxset - but its so long ago...

Lol. I own 3. Araldite, only araldite.
    1st and 2nd ed landspeeders were metal. 3rd ed speeder is ok but just lacks va va voom in my opinion.
    Last edited by Popsical; 04-01-2015 at 07:21 AM.

Chapter-Master

Ah. I'd forgot there were two metal ones.

The 2nd ed one is in all the HH art work. Wonder when FW will redo it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast