BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Khorne's Classroom: A guide to getting your Daemonkin killed

Having poked around in the Khorne Daemonkin book some, and whacking some people over the head with it (I tried to decapitate somebody to get their skull, but sadly enough, GW's books make poor substitutes for axes), I have decided to help you all get better at sacrificing your units.

I've seen a lot of people discussing the codex so far, and one thing I've seen popping up over and over is complaints about the fact that you "have to take possessed" or "are stuck taking x units of Chaos Space marines / berserkers / whatever.". Luckily enough, today's classroom informs you that you are wrong. There's no tax.

Step 1: Look at Blood Host Detachment
    Step 2: Realize that "generate 1 blood token per turn" equals 6 tokens in a game.
    Step 3: Throw away Blood Host Detachment and go Combined Arms detachment.

You don't need to generate more blood tokens, we're going to be getting so good at getting killed that we'll be hitting the 8 point cap anyway, we can't even get more!

Instead, I'll introduce you to the Sacrifical Lambs Detachment:

Sacrificial Lambs Detachment
    2 bare bone heralds
    6 units of 8 bare bones cultists

This amazing detachment costs you 458 points. Now all you need to do is figure out how many times you can fit this detachment into your game and you're good to go. Sadly enough, that will require basic elementary school math, which I doubt any of your Khornate berserkers still possess, so just bash your opponent over the head until he can't count anymore either and we're good to go.

"Alright so I put the herald in a group of cultists and..."
    NO, WRONG! Go sit in the corner and feel ashamed.

We're not here to see heralds survive to the end of the match, we're here to see them die.

A single herald on its own is a single unit. To make matters more fun, let's take a look at the poorly worded Blood for the Blood God! rule. It states, and I quote, that you get a point when "A character with the Blood for the Blood God! special rule is slain, or slays an enemy character in a challenge." I am relatively certain that somebody at Games Workshop intended this to mean "is slain in a challenge", but considering they were too busy reaping skulls to properly proofread their book, that is not what it says.

In other words, every time one of your lone heralds, or a group of your cultists, dies, you get 2 blood points. (1 for unit being wiped out, 1 for character being slain.)
    Before long your opponent will be scared of even shooting at your heralds. (This works best if you have 5 Bloodthirsters or Demon Princes standing next to the game board, waiting to be summoned. Bonus points if you keep petting them and whispering "soon my pretties, soon".)

So lets assume we are playing a relatively normal match of 40k at 1500 points. This means you will be able to fit the Sacrificial Lamb Detachment into your army 3 times (for those of you who can't count to three, that is how many arms you wish you had so you could hold an extra weapon), and have 116 points left to spend on something that isn't a troop choice or an HQ, and will most likely get shot at over everything else in your army, so it better bleed well.

You'll be running 6 heralds (sadly enough, 8 will not fit) and 18 units of 8 cultists (Enjoy painting those 144 sacrificial scapegoats!). This might mean you have a rather cluttered looking deployment zone, but that is fine. The closer together these guys are, the bigger the chance they'll get templated to death and you can roll around in blood points.

More tricks to get killed:
    At some point your opponent might realize that killing your cultists is only going to lead to scary things happening, and they might be better off simply leaving them alive as they don't really do much well (aside from dying). As such, it is time to open up your bag of tricks!

You are playing a combined arms detachment, so all your cultists are objective secured. It might not be the most Khornate thing to do, but simply sit your butt on every objective on the map (with 3 different units, if need be) and start racking up those maelstrom missions. They might not want to give you more blood points, but they also don't want you to win the match simply because you control (or at least contest) all 6 points on the map.

SPENDING YOUR BLOOD MONEY:
    Before long you'll be knee-high in blood and gore (quite likely that of your own army, but hey, we don't care where the blood comes from) and you'll be looking to spend your blood points. Here's what you are looking to do:

Don't save up!

While it might be tempting to wait another turn for those 2 extra blood points at the start of turn 2 so you can summon a Bloodletter, don't do it. Khorne gets mighty angry when you waste your blood, and every time your blood tithe points go past 8 and vanish into thin air, he will personally curse one of your dice to roll nothing but 1's for the rest of the match. Get summoning right away, you'll get plenty of blood points.

"But Mr. Khornate Demon sir, all my characters in this army have a leadership of 8, I'll never be able to summon a bloodthirster!"
    Silence bloodworm! 8 is the best kind of leadership there is, it is a glorious number. If you are too scared to die without a bloodthirster to show for it, simply try to become a demon prince instead. Chaos spawn is still a pretty big step up from nameless cultist leader # 12.

And now we get to more poorly written rule shenanigans.

Read closely for the Dark Apotheosis and Fury Unbound rules. Regardless of what you roll, your character is "resolved from play as a casualty". Oh wait, he is slain! BAM, WE ARE BACK AT ONE BLOOD POINT ALREADY! PRAISE KHORNE!

So there you have it boys and girls. Get out there and start dying in droves and before you know it you'll be summoning things that might actually make your opponent scared!

Funny post. I just hope that no Khorne player takes it too seriously. With Tzeentch players I'm sure that they'd appreciate the subtlety and sarcasm, but with Khorne you never know... any plan that involves models dying usually sounds good to them.

Veteran-Sergeant

If you ecxhange a 3 units of cultists for 8 Bloodletters/5 Fleshhounds and 3x individual Chaos Spawn (1 model units) you get a little bit of staying power then your opponant cannot ignore you.
    maybe also add in a few units of 3x Terminators + 3x Combi-meltas + 2x Chainfists (power axe on champion) (143pts). this gives you tank hunting capabilities at low points costs.
    Last edited by Mr.Gold; 04-06-2015 at 03:29 AM.

Battle-Brother

I don't think you can take a combi weapon and a power fist/chainfist. I was just about to build a 3 man drop squad and was looking at the options in the codex. Think its the same in the CSM codex too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nogle View Post
    I don't think you can take a combi weapon and a power fist/chainfist. I was just about to build a 3 man drop squad and was looking at the options in the codex. Think its the same in the CSM codex too.

You can, it is just not very good on a suicide squad.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    You can, it is just not very good on a suicide squad.
    no, but it is one of the most effective ways to kill/threaten tanks for the codex (without allies) as the elites choices are not really overwhealming here. (and if they are killed gain a Blood Tithe point) 3x meltagun shots from close range on a tank e.g. a land raider, monolith, or other 14/14/14 vehicle/bunker otherwise you must get CC monster in combat. another option is a Forgefiend - but it competes with soulgrinders/maulerfiends etc.

the chainfist(s) is to continually threaten tanks after the first alpha strike... as you will have no meltaguns left (assuming they survive - but time it right and the rest of your army is just getting into combat when they arrive...).
    Last edited by Mr.Gold; 04-06-2015 at 08:40 AM.

I would have to remind the classroom that Khorne frowns upon destroying tanks. They don't bleed, they don't have skulls and your time could be better spent simply letting said tank shoot you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Gold View Post
    no, but it is one of the most effective ways to kill/threaten tanks for the codex (without allies) as the elites choices are not really overwhealming here. (and if they are killed gain a Blood Tithe point) 3x meltagun shots from close range on a tank e.g. a land raider, monolith, or other 14/14/14 vehicle/bunker otherwise you must get CC monster in combat. another option is a Forgefiend - but it competes with soulgrinders/maulerfiends etc.
    They will never see combat. Also the suicide terminators run out of fashion as people learned to bubblewrap their vehicles making 6" deepstrikes impossible.
    The Forgefiends competes with nothing... he is not good enough to compete as you can pick up a mix of 8 maulerfiends and soulgrinders... the only reason to pick that slaughtercult detachment is because it gives you up to 8 War Engines.
    the chainfist(s) is to continually threaten tanks after the first alpha strike... as you will have no meltaguns left (assuming they survive - but time it right and the rest of your army is just getting into combat when they arrive...).
    I would not even assume that they get any use out of their meltaguns unless your opponent is not very good. Besides, you can't "time it right" as they arrive vom reserves and you have no reserve manipulation to influence your chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Theik View Post
    I would have to remind the classroom that Khorne frowns upon destroying tanks. They don't bleed, they don't have skulls and your time could be better spent simply letting said tank shoot you.
    This guy, he gets Khorne.

As a more serious reply, I wouldn't put Chainfists on Meltacide Termies, because you can threaten most tanks by just going 2xPower Maul/1xPower Axe. 6 attacks at S6 on the charge plus 3 at S5 will usually clear out most tanks with rear AV10, and is still dangerous to rear AV11. So the only reason to put in the Chainfist would be for handling Walkers.

Battle-Brother

I'm thinking of taking 2 min squads of Bloodcrushers and some terminators- 1 melta suicide squad, and at least 2 squads of 3 lightning claws.

I want to try lightning claws with the formation, they have 6 attacks on the charge if outnumbered. If you can keep the sgt alive last he can probably walk through a backfield tactical squad. Also with the auto challenge you don't even get to outthink yourself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast