BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    I'd try for a slaughter cult if I were you, the extra blood tithe is worth it.
    The extra point *is* nice, but at that point I have to give up the Flesh Hounds and Bloodcrushers. I can't afford (money or points) two units of six Bloodcrushers (three seems too small to be effective) plus a unit of Terminators; and then a unit of Bikers plus another unit of Flesh Hounds. So at that point the Bloodcrushers and Flesh Hounds get nixed, because they can't fit into the limiting organization of the Blood Host Detachment.

Slaughter Cult is just a formation within that Detachment, it just gives the boon to the units within that formation. It's nice, but in this army, the idea is to get stuck in fact and hit hard quickly. I've played with the Slaughter Cult and Blood Host Detachment, and it did make for a nice mix, but I want to try a different angle.

In case you're wondering, that particular army was:

Lord on Juggernaut with the +1 tithe point axe
    Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage
    8 Possessed
    8 Berzerkers with 1 plasma pistol, champion with lightning claw
    8 Berzerkers with 1 plasma pistol, champion with lightning claw
    16 Bloodletters with command
    8 Bloodletters with command
    Defiler
    Defiler
    Soul Grinder

Played against a Horus Heresy Death Guard army. Got lucky with the big guns not able to hurt all my big targets fast enough, and I got stuck into combat with the Lord, Possessed, and Bloodthirster fast, while smashing Marines with the three AP3 big blasts, before assaulting with all the other units and just kind of having my way with everything except the tooled up command squad (which finally died, but heck, I got some nice points out of it killing my weaker units). That game was pretty fun, with the points and boons piling up and just enjoying the slaughter even as my own units died.

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    Its the way the Rules for FMC work, when they are summoned they MUST be in swoop mode and because they Deepstrike they cannot change mode that turn.

Then next turn they are allowed to change into glide mode, but because they changed mode they are not allowed to assault that turn, and apart from a 2 shot gun thats all a bloodthirster really does.

Then thrid turn AFTER summoning they are finally allowed to charge something, assuming the game hasn't ended

the only real practical way to use hte tokens is to summon lesser daemons and boost the army as a whole.

I've heard the dog horde backed by chaos lords and cultist fodder is particularly mean.
    I think you missed the discussion where the reasoning is along the lines of:

Demon is summoned at the very start of your turn, before the movement phase.
    You can decide to switch modes in the movement phase, which is not actually a form of moving, so can be done after deep striking from being summoned.

So at best it's useless in the term you summon it.

Quote Originally Posted by Theik View Post
    I think you missed the discussion where the reasoning is along the lines of:

Demon is summoned at the very start of your turn, before the movement phase.
    You can decide to switch modes in the movement phase, which is not actually a form of moving, so can be done after deep striking from being summoned.

So at best it's useless in the term you summon it.
    But all Deep Strikes happen at the start of your turn, before the Movement phase. So that would mean any FMC arriving via Deep Strike could change to Gliding in the turn it arrives, if you use that interpretation of the rules. Though, given that it can't move any more, I'm not sure if it gets to do an action it would normally take in the Movement Phase.

Battle-Brother

I need something official before I start buying $115 bloodthirsters. If it takes 3 turns to summon then charge, I'm not buying any for summoning, just one with the big D axe. If its 2 turns I might need 3. answer could save me $230. stinks that the other 3 greater daemons can impact the game as soon as they drop, we might just have 2 turns of whips.

Have you been having fun with this? I'm considering picking some up and would like to hear.

Haven't had a chance to try the speedy list (need more money), but I've played and seen some games played with the Khorne Daemonkin, and it's been pretty fun. Might not always be the hottest list around, but it should put up a good showing for itself, and it's pretty fun even when your guys are dying, because you can turn around and buff the surviving guys or summon more stuff. I'd avoid Deep Striking stuff, though, because the army is almost entirely close combat, and aside from taking a while to appear from reserves, you can't charge on the turn you Deep Strike anyway. Meanwhile, with a nice run move on the first turn, you have a reasonable chance to charge on the second turn if you started on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    Haven't had a chance to try the speedy list (need more money), but I've played and seen some games played with the Khorne Daemonkin, and it's been pretty fun. Might not always be the hottest list around, but it should put up a good showing for itself, and it's pretty fun even when your guys are dying, because you can turn around and buff the surviving guys or summon more stuff. I'd avoid Deep Striking stuff, though, because the army is almost entirely close combat, and aside from taking a while to appear from reserves, you can't charge on the turn you Deep Strike anyway. Meanwhile, with a nice run move on the first turn, you have a reasonable chance to charge on the second turn if you started on the table.
    It sounds a lot of fun and I love the theme. I'm a little concerned it might not have legs as it's possibly a bit one-trick strategy wise.

The hobby potential though....!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Gonk View Post
    It sounds a lot of fun and I love the theme. I'm a little concerned it might not have legs as it's possibly a bit one-trick strategy wise.

The hobby potential though....!
    Well, you *can* bring some firepower to the army, in the form of Defilers and Soul Grinders (and even Helbrutes, to a lesser degree, or Skull Cannons, which also pair well with charging units, if you want to fire a massive blast that close to your own guys), so it's not entirely one-trick. It's just that, well, thematically, you *should* be charging forward to try to tear people apart. Which the aforementioned models also do rather well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12