BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

As Far as Necrons Go they should beef up pariahs or lower their points significantly in order to combat psychers as they cannot have psychic powers at least in the sense that the other races do as they are not warp sensitive, though there are a few loopholes in the fluff that might allow something similar to psychic powers. 1. It is Actually the C'tan who are opposed to the warp not the necrons though being servants to the C'tan means that they have to do whatever is necessary to protect their masters which would perish or at least be threatened by them if the were to cultivate warp sensitivity. okay i guess the first point does not really allow for psychic powers that involve the warp...so onto the second possiblity 2. In the Tyranid Codex perils of the warp are still in affect but in actuality represent their "brains frying" or some similar phenomena therefore the rules for the psychic powers do not necessarily have to deal with the warp they can deal with different phenomena from a fluff standpoint but could function the same from a rules standpoint...that being said, I would imagine that if the necrons were to have powers they would probally be orientated toward combating the powers of the warp, either reflecting or absorbing the powers of the other races, perhaps even their life energy in the case of the C'tan which i would definitely like to see the other two though if the dragon ever awakes the imperium will be in alot of trouble.. that is just in theory, In actuality items and abilities that represent their anti-warp/null tendencies

If anyone actually gets though this entire rant gets a cookie!

i remember the time in 2nd edition when a 600 points grey knight unit cleared half the table with a vortex of doom... so i don´t think that the powers that are rising in the new codices are too powerful. in third edition they reduced the abilities of characters and with them the psyker abilities. the card system, that made the psychic powers a completely own phase with own rules, were gone. that change was necessary to make the game faster and better, but they did a bit too much in my opinion. most 3rd and 4th edition psy powers weren´t a good deal and the dark angels oder space wolves psykers for example were only good because of their psy weapons and the orks lost their psykers comlpetely.
    psykers should be powerful not just a captain with a sword that can instant kill.
    tau, necrons and dark eldar shouldn´t have psychic powers because of their fluff... but the psychic powers aren´t such game breaking that armys without them could not win.

Maybe, just maybe giving the etherials the abillity to shut down all psychic powers would make them worth taking at last. And boy wouldn't you want to kill em fast!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bedroom General View Post
    Maybe, just maybe giving the etherials the abillity to shut down all psychic powers would make them worth taking at last. And boy wouldn't you want to kill em fast!
    But how would they shut down psychic powers? How you you justify a non-psychic race being better at psychic stuff than any of the far more advanced, far more powerful and far more psychic armies out there, like Eldar?
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    But how would they shut down psychic powers? How you you justify a non-psychic race being better at psychic stuff than any of the far more advanced, far more powerful and far more psychic armies out there, like Eldar?
    Well, despite the fact that fluff-wise, the Eldar are supposed to be the epitome of technological advancement, and the Tau blow them away in that respect...I'm sure GW could find a way to rationalize it.

Not that they should, nor hopefully will they.

That being said, the last time the Eldar were truly kings of the psychic "phase" was in 2nd Ed. Warlock Masters, anyone?

Bringing Doom back helped to bring them back into the running with 4th ed. but they're definitely trailing behind the pack nowadays.

Chaplain

[QUOTE=Absolutionis;57677]Only Space Eolves were a shock. I still don't think it fits their fluff.

Either way, some armies such as Imperial Guard and Orks have psyhics, but they're not amazing. The codex reflects this. Space Marines and Tyranids are supposed to have some good psykers and the codex reflects this.
    When Codex Tau and Codex Necrons and Codex Black Templar and Codex World Eaters comes out, I don't expect any of their psykers to be powerful (or exist at all).
    *****SNIP******

Horror of Horrors that Black Templars should EVER be given Psysic Powers. They HATE psykers to the point they will not ally with an army that has Librarians. They only ally with Grey Knights because the Inquisition guarentees them & the Emperor created them to destroy Daemons. Come to think on it Sisters of Battle dont have psykic powers either which is why the BTs will fight alongside them. They wont ally with Radical Inqs. either.
    Regards Barry H. "the Emperor Protects!"

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by scadugenga View Post
    Well, despite the fact that fluff-wise, the Eldar are supposed to be the epitome of technological advancement, and the Tau blow them away in that respect...I'm sure GW could find a way to rationalize it.
    No, Eldar are significantly more advanced than Tau. Tau are simply advancing technologically much faster than anyone else, rising to a level of technology comparable to the Imperium in a few thousand years, rather than 40 thousand.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Abbess Sanctorum

Mind you the Imperium has actually regressed, so it's not as if that's entirely surprising.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    No, Eldar are significantly more advanced than Tau. Tau are simply advancing technologically much faster than anyone else, rising to a level of technology comparable to the Imperium in a few thousand years, rather than 40 thousand.
    Could've fooled me on the battlefield then.

I mean, the Cat used to be the "go-to" basic weapon of choice. Then it got nerfed. Hard.

Now the Tau come in, with the best basic weapon in the game, bar none. Tau firepower surpasses the Eldar in almost every respect.

If they're still progressing...I hate to see what they'll be in the next edition!

Quote Originally Posted by scadugenga View Post
    Could've fooled me on the battlefield then.

I mean, the Cat used to be the "go-to" basic weapon of choice. Then it got nerfed. Hard.
    Well, that's kind of the point, right? On the tabletop, eldar don't feel very advanced - since they're choppier than the Tau, their shootiness is less than the Tau; since they're shootier than many other armies, their choppiness is less than many armies. Pretty much the only areas in which the eldar feel advanced on the tabletop are their jetbikes and their vehicles. But we all feel like the tabletop has diverged from the "real" eldar tech situation, right?

But in terms of fluff, I think it's worth noting that eldar weaponry has never been portrayed as all that fabulous. Fluff-wise it's usually better than human equivalents, but not really by all that much. Eldar technological superiority shows mostly in really huge projects such as the webway and craftworlds, or in psychic arenas such as soul stones (I mean, think about it, they have a machine that can capture your soul so that it can direct other machines ... you have to admit that's fairly high-tech). I think they can still win the "most technologically advanced overall award."
    Last edited by Nabterayl; 03-11-2010 at 06:50 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast