BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Warmachine Rulebook question

Can somebody tell me if there is a difference between the mini rulebooks that come in the faction starter sets, and the Warmachine Prime Mk II (either soft or hardback) if bought separately ?

I was thinking about starting my Warmachine investigation by buying the rulebook, but if it is exactly the same as the mini rulebooks in the starter sets, I may just go for broke and grab one of those straight away.

Cheers, ...

The rulebooks are basically the same. The big one has model galleries and "starter rules" for the 4 main warmachine factions. By starter rules i mean it has stats for selected units for each of those factions (Protectorate, Cygnar, Khador, and Cryx). The big one also has fluff on the world. The small one is just the rules on playing the game and that's it.

Thanks very much. I would like the background and some galleries, so just picked up a full size book off eBay. My 2 player starter box should be driving today - yippee, ...

Congrats on getting into a great game.

So a friend and I could pick up the faction starter boxes and be able to play? (Well, plus templates, but other than that.)

That'd be nice. Considering the starter box, but I'm not sure I want Khador, and I think my friend wants Menoth (which is awkward, as I already have some Menoth, but I'm open to using a different faction to get back into things).

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    So a friend and I could pick up the faction starter boxes and be able to play? (Well, plus templates, but other than that.)

That'd be nice. Considering the starter box, but I'm not sure I want Khador, and I think my friend wants Menoth (which is awkward, as I already have some Menoth, but I'm open to using a different faction to get back into things).
    Yea, you and your friend could get the two-player battlebox and play it straight out of the box. However, i don't really recommend it. Yes, it's a sweet deal. Especially when you consider buying it at other sites for approximately $60. But you won't be using the Man-o-Wars, ever, nor the Cinerators, unless you're running a dedicated Vindictus list, but even then, Bastions are better in nearly every way for the same points. The only time i recommend the 2-player starter Warmachine starter box thing to players is if they A) need the mini rule-book B) haven't magnetized their jacks so have extra parts lying around and then decide to magnetize these C) if they get the box for cheaper. Majority of the time you'd be better set getting the starter battlegroups (especially if you're new to the game, they have pretty good starter casters) or the amazing All in One Army Boxes. Which, even the bad ones, are pretty good.

Honestly, if your friend really wants to get into warmahordes, then he should get the Menoth All-in-one battlebox while it is still being offered. You get a well-rounded army with units that will see lots of play. So it's a great investment. Advice is the same for Khador, except the Khador All-in-one is pretty awesome. One of the best ones right next to the Skorne one in terms of competitiveness and build.

Can't find the Menoth all-in-one box for sale any more. Yikes, that sold out fast. The Khador one is still available from Amazon, so if I do go Khador, that's a possibility.

I think at $70 for the starter box, it's not bad to have some stuff that might not be that awesome for tournaments or whatever. It could still be useful to at least learn the basics of the game, give my friend a feel for whether he wants to invest more in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    Can't find the Menoth all-in-one box for sale any more. Yikes, that sold out fast. The Khador one is still available from Amazon, so if I do go Khador, that's a possibility.

I think at $70 for the starter box, it's not bad to have some stuff that might not be that awesome for tournaments or whatever. It could still be useful to at least learn the basics of the game, give my friend a feel for whether he wants to invest more in it.
    Yea, those All-in-one boxes are amazing, even at full price (the $130 bucks(ish) or whatever). Don't get me wrong when i talk negatively about the 2 player-starter box. The box itself is a steal for what is being offered. Those jacks, when combined with another jack kit as they're not sold with the additional parts to make the other variants, are quite honestly worth the purchase, at least once. Man-O-Wars and Cinerators are decent enough that they can be used in any game to a well enough effect. They are also fun to use from time to time.

It's just when you start to get into the game you'll shelf them more and more, either because A)you realized they aren't your playstyle B)you decided something else was better C)(and this is the worst) you'll get hammered by the Warmahordes community whom are quite actively a hybrid of fluffy and competitive players. They are unrelenting if you try to defend those units they unanimously agree to suck, they'll cite statistics and rationalize why those units aren't worth it at all. They're a nice bunch in person, but over the monitors they're merciless. But hey, page 5 of the rulebook...play like you got a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by Yriel_The_Angelic View Post
    They're a nice bunch in person, but over the monitors they're merciless.
    So, like any community of gamers, basically?

I've dealt with decades of the GW community. I play Orks in 40K. Trust me, I can handle it. ;-)