BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default 1850 Dark Eldar and Harlequins

So this is the list I have been tweaking. In short, I play against a lot of people with Imperial Armour and Forge World models. While I myself have not acquired such pieces yet, I do not really have a problem with facing them.

I've had to move from a come all type of list and move towards a more list tailoring aspect to the game. Whether or not list tailoring is allowed or not, good or poor social etiquette we have both types in our play group. I tend to have a list ready to go and I feel like i do not have to tweak the list. Honestly I feel like the DE have a lot to offer which is sad to see the results of the LVO and the lack of DE there in general, but I digress.

With that said, I typically run venom spam lists and they tend to work fine. I am getting a little tired of it and I feel the harlequins are a breath of fresh air. Here is the list:

Real Space Raider Detachment:

HQ

Archon
    Agonizer
    Armour of misery

Fast

Razorwing
    Dark lance
    Splinter Cannon

Razorwing
    Dark lance
    Splinter Cannon

Heavy
    Ravager
    dark lance

Troop

Warrior x10
    raider
    Dark lance
    Splinter rack

Warrior x10
    raider
    Dark lance
    Splinter rack

Harlequin masque Detachment:

Troop

Troop x5
    kiss x5

Troop x5
    kiss x5

Troop x5
    kiss x5

Fast

Sky weaver x2
    haywire x2

Sky weaver x2
    haywire x2

Heavy

Void weaver
    pris cannon

Elite

Solitaire
    rose

Shadowseer
    level 2

Shadowseer
    level 2

So a little commentary on the reasons why I chose the things I did.

I wanted some CC ( i know CC is a 4 letter word in 7th) in the list for several reasons.
    1) it takes the focus off the back line and support shooting units allowing them to do what they need to do.
    2) bog down lynchpin units as much as possible having army wide invul saves are nice as they are not always reliable, but they can be clutch which they often are.
    3) Helps clear off objectives and controls them
    4) i consider these units typically expendable so i build them as cheap but as effective as I can.

The HM det has the CC i want with the protection of the shadowseer. I deliberately choose to min max the 3 units to save on points and I plan on keeping them within close proximity to support each other. So 5 harlequins are like, meh but when 15 hit you with the solitaire, the results can be surprising. This Det is my main so i will be utilizing the special ability. So far in testing move, run and assault with ignore cover and rerolls get you where you want...really fast. Also with such mobility they tend to be high on people's priority list. Which again is what I want them to do.

There is only room in the list for 2 shadowseers so the unit without is the back of the bus unit, hopefully hiding in plain sight among the other 2 units.

Honestly I own more than 1 void weaver and I hold them in high esteem but again because of points I had to cut it to 1. It will be with the ravager in the back.

The bikes being only 2 strong in unit size travel together. So in the event i kill my target vehicle with one they can always target something else. I really do not like the requirements for the HM FOC, I would rather keep them together but....

The dark kin in this list support the harles. In my meta I fight against a lot of armour and monstrous creatures. Which is what dictates my choices in my support.

The raiders with racks and warriors tend to help more against the FMCs.
    The 2 RW are there to blow all 4 missiles at the blobs of infantry or couple with the raiders at hunting the FMCs.

The lone ravager is there for the extra lance but at this point there is an extra 25 points in the list open to trade it out for a 3rd flyer. I am still testing whether or not I need the extra DL or if the 3rd flyer is enough to counter other flying lists and still handle ground vehicles.

On that note, I have read a lot of posts on these forums regarding how to handle flyers. The trick in my experience is this, bring enough to make them jink then move on the targets that matter. Whether it is a FMC or vehicle, if they need 6s to hit, then i am ok with them being on the table.

I kinda like it, a few things to think about:

1) The Archon. While he is quite cheap you do not buy a shadowfield on him. If you have no shadowfield, the Succubus is the better choice as she has a 4++ in melee, and her AP2 weapon is cheaper than the agonizer.
    2) Gunboats. They are ok-ish for FMC hunting but on the other hand you already have 2 flyers. For nearly the same points you could get 3 Venoms with kabalites which shell out more shots at longer range.
    3) I do not like the haywire on the skyweavers, I feel like it is wasted as you have a Ravager and 2 Razorwings anyways. As a sidenote if you do not upgrade them, there is your 3rd Razorwing.
    4) The Solitaire. I do not think he fits in this list as you have enough hard hitting melee units. Also I do not like the Cegorachs Rose on him as it is only a small upgrade to the kiss and costs 15 points.
    If you leave him at home, you could afford either another Venom with Blasterborn, another lvl2 Shadowseer and Blasters for your Venoms (2) or a Starweaver for the unit without shadowseer and Blasters (2)

yeah there are some changes I need to make after last nights game. I choose a troupe master as my WL so I kept the archon there as his bodyguard. I will put a shadowfield on him. After these last few games, I feel like i need to beef up the harlequin troupe squads a bit. They are too expensive to max out but I am thinking about going up to 10 models each.
    The same goes for the bikes. I think 3 in a unit would be better than just the 2. I haven't needed the haywire launchers honestly but then again I haven't faced much armour yet.

The solitaire seems to work just fine with the caress. I have not used the kiss at all nor the rose. Everytime I go to choose which weapon I want to use, I find myself just using the caress.

As far as the dark eldar go, I am thinking about dropping them completely. It comes down to what can I do about flyers with a pure clown list. The fog Psykic power is pretty good for FMC but then there is the issue of flying vehicles. I did have a chance to play 3 razor wings against a list with 2 storm talons, and the storm talons didn't die....
    I like the missiles, they killed a lot but dark lances just do nothing for me.

I will post my updated list.

Initiate

I would love to see your updated list!
    Do the thing you fear the most and the death of fear is certain.