BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default 1,500 Points Tau Empire

So, I found a used Tau army for a great deal, and I decided to buy it. I have no experience using the army past 500 points.

My primary opponents are Space Marines, Grey Knights, and Necrons. This is the army list I put together. Any thoughts? Improvements. Am I wasting any points, am I not buying enough upgrades for some units?

++HQ++

Tau Commander
    w/Cyrillic Ion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Shield Generator, Iridium Armor, 2 Marker Drones, Drone Controller

++Elites++

Riptide
    w/Ion Accelerator

Crisis Suits x3
    w/6 Plasma Rifles

Stealth Suits x4

++Troops++

Fire Warriors x8
    Devilfish

Fire Warriors x8
    Devilfish

Kroot Carnivores x10
    w/Sniper Rounds

++Fast Attack++

Pathfinders x5

++Heavy Support++

Broadsides x2
    w/2 Shield Drones

Hammerhead
    w/Twin-Linked Smart Missile System, Submunition Rounds, Blacksun Filter

Hammerhead
    w/Twin-Linked Smart Missile System, Submunition Rounds, Blacksun Filter

Total: 1,500 Points

This is what I have to work with: several dozen fire warriors, a nearly infinite supply of kroot, six crisis suits, six stealth suits w/all the weapons, a riptide w/ion accelerator, ten pathfinders, two piranhas, two devilfish, two hammerheads, three broadsides with rail rifles, a broadside w/HYMP, a commander, and plenty of all kinds of drones. I can also purchase more, but I am trying to stick with what I have.

I am unsure about whether or not I should replace the pathfinders with markerlight drones. Also, disruption pods seem helpful, but they definitely add up in points. Anyone ever find that they are worth the points? I hear devil fish are a waste of points, but they seem valuable for being able to give mobility to my troops. The Tau Commander's loadout is the hardest part to make a decision on for me.

How do you deal with Flyers and Flying Monstrous Creatures? I don't see any dedicated anti-air in your army list. The Skyfire upgrade for the Broadsides with missiles is very worth it in my opinion.

Brother-Sergeant

i often face SM and dirty necron. If i want to F up their day i take.

Commander
    multi spec sensor suite
    neuro web jammer
    puretide engram neuroship
    iridium armor
    sheild gen
    stim injector
    drone controller (195)

Eliltes
    Riptide heavy burst, fusion
    stim injector
    velocity tracker (235)

12 kroot sniper (89)

12kroot sniper (89)

6 pathfinders (66)

6 pathfinders(66)

Fire base support cadre

3 broadsides rail rifle, sms, velocity tracker. 4 missile drones (warlord goes with this squad)(303)

3 broadsides rail rifle, sms, ewo (210)

Riptide
    ion accelerator, fusion, ewo (190)

Aegis (50)

(1493)

Remeber, maker light up targets for your riptides and second braodside unit.
    Get your commander with the braodsides and the drones. This unit will kill anything it looks at. Drones hitting on 2's and re rolling because of the buffmander. the unit also ignores cover, so no jink for anyone.
    The ion riptide and the braodsides all have tank hunter and preferred enemy space marine as they are in the fire support cadre formaiton. keep your kroot safe until they are needed, in reserve if nessassery.
    Yuor riptides and broadsides and take care of anything the deepstrikes or drop pods in.
    Just remember all the rules you get witht this army, and you wont go far wrong

Let me know how you get on.

Tau'va

- - - Updated - - -

Your orginal list is good, but i would take it in a fun match or if i was drinking and didnt care what happened.
    Tau'va