BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chaplain

Default Acetone and resin

I had an unfortunate incident assembling a Forge World model when a band broke and let a piece slip so it dried in the wrong position. Since this was intended to be an army centerpiece model I don't want a misaligned part and as its a rather expensive model I don't want to risk breaking it or buying a new one.

So does anyone know a good way to remove superglue from FW resin? I tested acetone on some sprue parts I had and it didn't seem to damage them but I was wondering if anyone had any experience dealing with it.

Thanks!

Acetone will devour the resin, don't use it.

I personally use Acetone-Free Nail Varnish Remover on plastics and metals, and it eats through superglue pretty well without damaging the mini. However, I haven't tried it on FW resin, so I can't comment on that.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Just chuck it in methylated spirits. (Ethanol)

Acetone wont damage the resin over a short period, but if you leave it in long enough to dissolve the superglue it will start to react with the resin.
    Last edited by daboarder; 04-13-2015 at 08:40 AM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chaplain

Okay looks like a run to the store is in order. Thanks for the advice!

Brother-Captain

Test on some glued sprue first, but for a plastic or metal models shoving it in the freezer for a few hours then gently twisting the joint works well. The cold makes the glue go brittle and snap easily.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Brother-Sergeant

Acetone should be fine when applied to the area with a brush, get in there quickly with something to help the parts come loose. The acetone should evaporate before any damage can occur. Test on off cuts of resin to be sure.