BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Digging this out... Will it still work? (Tau 2k)

I havent played the most recent edition of the game. Ive been out for about 2 years or so and haven't really looked into what is currently being used however, i was halfway through a bit of a 'novelty' list way back when, and wondered if i was to return to the game, is it still viable?

I understand that the objective system requires much more mobility than back in the Gunline days but is this still workable?

Ethereal - 50
    Ethereal - 50

Kroot x20 - Sniper Rounds + Shaper - 155
    Kroot x20 - Sniper Rounds - 140
    Kroot x20 - Sniper Rounds - 140

Stealth Team x6 - Advanced Targetting System x6, 2 Fusion Blaster - 208

Riptide - Ion Accelerator, SmartMissiles, Skyfire, Interceptor - 210

Sniper Drone Team - 2 Commanders, 9 Drones - 159
    Sniper Drone Team - 2 Commanders, 9 Drones - 159
    HammerHead - Longstrike, Disruption Pod, Submunition, Advanced Targetting System, Repair System - 198

Total = 1999

2 Ethereals in the 2 'Shaperless' Kroot mobs hidden in Terrain giving off a big LD10 Bubble + Overlapping fancy abilities. Other Kroot deply as normal or Infiltrate, hence the Shaper for slight LD buff if they need it but still hopefully benefitting from the Bubble most of the time, while Sniper Drones each cover a Flank with a unit of Kroot infront of them to A. Screen them, and B. Set off their Supporting Fire. Hammerhead and Riptides go after... pretty much anything they feel like, mostly armor, and Riptides deal with incoming Flyers/Drop Pods/Deepstrikers.

The Stealth unit infiltrate high up the board and deal with the more static units, and to keep with the Sniping theme the Targetting System lets me use them to go after any important Characters hiding in units.

It also occurs to me that switching the 'novelty' part of this list (ie the 850 points of HQ and Troops) and adding something more conventionally competitive wouldn't be difficult at all.
    So, i figure my biggest problem is fitting it all on the bloody board but, any thoughts?
    Last edited by Sonikgav; 04-19-2015 at 05:34 AM.

Figured i would post my full 'more serious' version too.

Battlesuit Commander - TL Flamer, Shield Generator
    Iridium Armor, Puretide, C&C Node, Sensor Suite, Neuroweb
    + Bodyguard x2 - 2x Plasma - 331
    Ethereal - Blacksun Filter - 55

Fire Warriors x12 - 108
    Fire Warriors x12 - 108
    Kroot x12 - 72
    Kroot x12 - 72

Pathfinders x8 - 88

Stealth Team x6 - Shas'Vre, Homing Beacon, 2 Fusion Blaster - 210

Sniper Drone Team - 3 Commanders, 9 Drones - 174
    Sniper Drone Team - 3 Commanders, 9 Drones - 174
    HammerHead - Longstrike, Disruption Pod, Submunition, Sensor Spines - 188

Total = 2000
    Last edited by Sonikgav; 04-19-2015 at 07:09 AM.

In the first list I'd probably drop the advanced targeting systems from the Stealth team and give the 2 with fusion blasters target locks.
    Then you can shoot them at a tank and fire the squad at something their burst cannons are better for.
    And with that many sniper weapons shooting who you want in the face shouldn't be to hard.

It definitely has potential, especially as when the enemy get close enough you can switch to pulse rounds and the Storm of fire ability(which also affects the sniper-drones)
    Last edited by Djbz; 04-26-2015 at 01:13 PM.

Good point about the Stealth. I got a bit carried away with the sniping lol.

I'd love to play this but I worry 100 Kroot would drive me insane.