BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default "On a 6, I win.", or The problem with ranged D

With all of the Eldar rumors circling about, I have seen a lot of players trying to justify that the change to distortion weapons to Strength D is no big deal. I have seen players ask rhetorically things like: "what used to survive a unit of Wraithguards shooting, anyways?". The answer is simple: Imperial Knights. The new Eldar rules make Knights a complete liability, because a "6" on the damage table kills the Knight instantly with no recourse (as it bypasses its Ion Shield and any cover it may have). This means that a WraithKnight (with dual Wraithcannons) can avoid the Knight (with his superior mobility), searching for that magic 6. When it comes up, the Knight dies. With 2 shots a turn, that 6 is likely at some point in the game. Multiply this by mutiple WraithKnights, and a problem arises. Honestly, the Wraithguard are worse, as getting one of these 6's per squad's salvo will not be difficult. So, what's the problem with massed S: D? It makes large, single unit models a liability. Knights, most Monstrous Creatures (like Riptides as the 6 bypasses their shield as well), heavy tanks like Land Raiders and Monoliths (not that they were hyper-competitive anyways), and many more besides. Funnily enough, even WraithKnights (as the first player to roll the 6, kills the other one). That's not even mentioning how much more efficiently the 2-5 on the Destroyer table deals with Monstrous Creatures and medium vehicles than the old S10 rules.

Are there ways around this? Sure. Don't bring these large, expensive models. Cast Invisibility (that solves a lot of things, actually). Maybe something else? (I don't know, I can't think of anything) But, should you have to? Should a single Codex and a couple of models dictate so much? Maybe its always been like this, to some degree. It seems worse to me though.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

NO!

As in no it shouldn't be this way.

Now I eagerly await the liguistic hoop jumping to prove you wrong and justify the D-weapon using everything form a bad understanding of game mechanics to referencing the way eldar used to be 5 editions ago for less than a 4th of the time they have existed as an army (oh but cant let CSMs use that justification)
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chapter-Master

Yessir. Knights were one of the toughest nuts to crack for me with Eldar and now I have a complete sense of calm. Although I won't be surprised if everyone starts getting ranged D-weapons in the next cycle. The IG Deathstrike missile may even be a huge D blast.

- - - Updated - - -

And I'm not saying layering this into the game is a good thing. I also don't think flyers and superheavy anything should have been brought into the main game either.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Battle-Brother

should make tournament games go faster. just like D weapons do in apocalypse

Meh.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Anyone who has been depending upon Super Heavies to win games is just going to have to learn how every one else manages without.

Plus, I'm not aware we've seen the stats for the D-Cannon yet. Could go old Epic and be wildly inaccurate, or 2nd Ed where you scattered as normal, and then the template flipper in the direction of a second roll of the scatter die.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Librarian

Do the Wraithguard's Flamers become D str? I ask because that would mean D3 auto-hits per model as part of an Overwatch... That seems overpowered to the silliest degree possible.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Pickelz View Post
    Do the Wraithguard's Flamers become D str? I ask because that would mean D3 auto-hits per model as part of an Overwatch... That seems overpowered to the silliest degree possible.
    Word on the street is Str D but with a -1 on the chart. Still unbelievably nasty if true.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Pickelz View Post
    Yep. The D-Scythes have become Str D.
    But you apply -1 on the table. Which means it is only 5 auto hits on vehicles that cause d3 hullpoints each on a 3+, only 5d3 auto hits on a wall of flame which kill (minus invul saves) on the roll of 3+ or just 5 templates which kill... you know how this goes on...

Seemingly so, but -1 on the table, or so I'm told.

There's fairly reliable info in the rumour thread, but as always be wary of Chinese whispers, and incomplete info, at least until the book or images of are available widely
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    There's fairly reliable info in the rumour thread, but as always be wary of Chinese whispers, and incomplete info, at least until the book or images of are available widely
    If these rumors be true, and upon me proved,
    Then I never played, nor GW ever playtested.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast