BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Pedro Kantor in Sentinels of Terra

I am planning to start a chapter of my own creation, a successor of the Imperial Fists and therefore using the Imperial Fist Chapter Tactics. In addition, I will be utilizing the Sentinels of Terra supplement, replacing the Bolter Drill Special Rule with the Close Range Bolter Drill. I planned to use Pedro Kantor as my HQ, but then I hit a niggling rules snag that needs clarification.

In Pedro Kantor's "Oath of Rynn" special rule, the codex says: "If Chapter Master Kantor is your Warlord, all friendly models in Crimson Fists detachments have the Preferred Enemy (Orks) special rule...etc.", and then in his "Hold the Line" special rule, it says: "If your army includes Pedro Kantor, friendly units of Crimson Fists Sternguard Veterans are scoring units". The first of these special rules specifies that the detachment must be a Crimson Fist detachment, and the second seems only to apply to Crimson Fists Sternguard Veterans.

My question is this: may I have my chapter use Sentinels of Terra special rules and also make use of Pedro Kantor's special rules?

On the one hand, I don't see any problem with creating a chapter, counting it as an Imperial Fist successor (which the codex clearly permits), counting it as a Sentinels of Terra detachment, and including Pedro Kantor in this army. On the other hand, if I wanted to make use of Kantor's "Oath of Rynn" and "Hold the Line" special Rules, I would also have to have my detachment count as Crimson Fists. May I do this?

Strictly speaking, there is no such thing as a set of Crimson Fist special rules, which makes me think I can. Pedro Kantor actually has "Chapter Tactics (Imperial Fists)" special rule, so it's not as if I am using more than one set of Chapter Tactics in the same detachment, which the codex does not permit. However, it does seem a little cheap since I am effectually saying that my army is both Sentinels of Terra and Crimson Fists.

It's worth bearing in mind though: Crimson Fists are a chapter, but Sentinels of Terra are a company. This might be relevant.

Any thoughts? Can I use Pedro Kantor's Crimson Fist-specific special rules in an Imperial Fist successor chapter counting as a Sentinels of Terra detachment?

thx

I think it's ridiculous and they should have just said "fists" for the tactics, since I don't think there's a combo that breaks it and ultramarines have a glut of characters... In a friendly game, I'd say you should have no problems. If you're in a tournament, I'd check, but I'd never play 40k in a tournament since I don't think it's finely balanced enough, so think it's kinda' moot.

Then again, I mostly felt like the old system of allowing any chapters' combo of characters was fine, since 40k is so fun & fluffy that if you do a nice conversion and aren't just trying to game stuff then w/e.

p121 of my SoT book says that all units in a Sentinels of terra detachment use chapter tactics (Imperial Fists), all they do is replace the bolter drill with close range bolter drill.

p77 of SM codex says any successor chapters use chapter tactics of 1st founding chapter, it even gives Crimson Fists as an example that they too use Imperial Fists.

All SoT are Imperial Fists.
    Pedro is Imperial Fists.

Disco.

I understand - Sentinels of Terra are Imperial Fists and Crimson Fists are Imperial Fists, but I'm not sure that solves the problem, because Sentinels of Terra are not Crimson Fists. Bananas are fruit, and apples are fruit, but it doesn't follow that bananas are apples. While it's true that Sentinels of Terra and Crimson Fists both have the same chapter tactics, they are not the same chapter (or come from the same chapter, in the case of Sentinels, as they are a company). Pedro does specify that the detachment must be a Crimson Fist detachment for his special rules to apply.

If you take Pedro as a HQ choice in a SoT detachment you are running a space marine army with the chapter tactic Imperial Fists. p77 SM codex paragraph on successor chapters basically says that all Crimson Fists/SoT's use chapter tactics of the first founding : Imperial Fists.

'Crimson Fists' and 'Sentinels of Terra' detachments dont seem to actually be things in the rules only the fluff (by p77 both are regarded as Imperial Fists), there are no Chapter Tactics (Crimson Fists) or Chapter Tactics (Sentinels of Terra), its all Space Marines (Imperial Fists). I cant see how anyone ruling it another way can be right.

All Food (fruits) are Food (fruits). There is no Food (apple) or Food (banana), the rules regard them all the same and are just titles given to the same fruit, for flavour purposes only.