BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    Possibly because it's a psionic ability of a psyker. But it is not. On the other hand the psychic attack FAQ sets a precedent that affects Spirit Leech.
    As Drakken Vael said, above, this is just wrong. The FAQ entry to which you're referring aren't relevant to the Spirit Leech issue at all. They set no precedent one way or another. To even consider them when looking at this issue is an obvious error.

Abbess Sanctorum

It's still a psychic power, even if it does not count as one in the rules-- similar to the abilities of Chaos Daemons, which are also psychic powers but don't count as them. It is friggin' called "spirit leech", and if you understand even a single thing about the Warp you'd understand why that is a psychic power even if it the game rules don't count it as one.

Regardless, however, you have yet to prove that it is an exception to the rule and can target units in a transport.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Next thing you know, people will want to use their psychic hoods or null rods to try and stop Spirit Leach.

I never used the wording "psychic power" on purpose.

We have what in MtG is called a static ability versus the more common triggered powers, it's clear that both are of psionic nature.

Plus no strict RAW interpretation is better than other since we don't know the exact definition of "unit" or what happens to "units" that embark on vehicles, it is only state they they are "transported" or "aboard", we have no rules that tell us how to manage transported units, except those regarding how to disembark, how to treat them when the vehicle is destroyed or how to shoot with them from firing points. Up until Spirit Leech we considered embarked units as a special rule of the vehicle they're on.

Now:
    1. that doesn't give us a straight answer
    2. if you take a text such as:
      Psychic power
      Not your usual Spirit Leech: At the beginning of your shooting phase you may choose to have every non-vehicle unit within 6" of the Doom of Malan'tai take a Leadership on 3D6. If the test is failed the unit suffers a single wound for each point they failed by, with no armour saves allowed.
      then the FAQ applies. While not strictly relevant this creates a precedent.
    3. it stands to reason that with a precedent such as the above a likely interpretation is that the "usual" Spirit Leech doesn't apply to transported troops.

Lawyered? Lawyered.
    Last edited by Madness; 02-27-2010 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    It's still a psychic power, even if it does not count as one in the rules-- similar to the abilities of Chaos Daemons, which are also psychic powers but don't count as them. It is friggin' called "spirit leech", and if you understand even a single thing about the Warp you'd understand why that is a psychic power even if it the game rules don't count it as one.

Regardless, however, you have yet to prove that it is an exception to the rule and can target units in a transport.

Actually I have proven that Spirit Leech affects embarked units. I've written the proof several times in more than one place.

I'm not sure what "rule" from which you think Spirit Leech needs an exception, but the proof that Spirit Leech does affect embarked units has been presented multiple times and has not been refuted ever.

I never used the wording "psychic power" on purpose.

We have what in MtG is called a static ability versus the more common triggered powers, it's clear that both are of psionic nature.

Plus no strict RAW interpretation is better than other since we don't know the exact definition of "unit" or what happens to "units" that embark on vehicles, it is only state they they are "transported" or "aboard", we have no rules that tell us how to manage transported units, except those regarding how to disembark, how to treat them when the vehicle is destroyed or how to shoot with them from firing points. Up until Spirit Leech we considered embarked units as a special rule of the vehicle they're on.
    We do have a definition of a unit. It's not a very good one, but you can find it on page 3 of the BRB.

Also, we do have several rules which tell us how to manage transported units. There are the ones you've mentioned, and there's the one on page 66 which tells us how to measure range to an embarked unit--which is all we need for Spirit Leech to affect the embarked unit.

So, yes. There is only one strict RAW interpretation and it is better than other "RAW" interpretations because it is based in the reality of the rules and others are not--often because they, as you did above, chose to ignore the rules that matter.

If you wanted to make a RAI argument against Spirit Leech affecting embarked units, that's your business, and I would ignore you since RAI arguments are innately irrelevant.

Lawyered? Lawyered.
    I hope you're not a real lawyer. Your reasoning is ridiculously flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    Also, we do have several rules which tell us how to manage transported units. There are the ones you've mentioned, and there's the one on page 66 which tells us how to measure range to an embarked unit--which is all we need for Spirit Leech to affect the embarked unit.
    No, it tells us how to measure range of weapons fired by the units, not how to measure if an embarked unit is on range.

No, it tells us how to measure range of weapons fired by the units, not how to measure if an embarked unit is on range.
    Did you even read it?

"If the players need to measure a range involving the embarked unit (except for its shooting), this range is measured to or from the vehicle's hull."

That's word-for-word on page 66. You're 100% wrong on this one, and you'd know that if you'd bothered to read the rules.

Try again.

edit:
    To reiterate the proof:

1.) Spirit Leech affects all units which meet the following requirements:
    - that the unit be an enemy unit,
    - that the unit not be a vehicle unit,
    - and that the unit be within 6" of the Doom

2.) A unit embarked in a transport is within 6" of the Doom as long as the transport is within 6" of the Doom (thanks to page 66).

3.) An embarked unit can be an enemy unit and it can be a non-vehicle unit.

4.) Thus a unit embarked in a transport can meet all of the requirements for being affected by Spirit Leech.

5.) Thus, a unit embarked in a transport can be affected by Spirit Leech.

Simple, sound, and irrefutable. The Doom can affect embarked units with Spirit Leech--and no rule anywhere says otherwise.
    Last edited by Bean; 02-27-2010 at 11:36 AM.

Abbess Sanctorum

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    Actually I have proven that Spirit Leech affects embarked units. I've written the proof several times in more than one place.
    Where? I don't see any proof, just a bit of whining. Post something, actual rules which state that it can target units embarked in a transport.

I'm waiting.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Hmm, apparently RAW is present even if it's kinda idiotic (a corner of a rhino inside the spirit leech area will allow it to effect an IC on the opposite side of the vehicle.) But I still expect that it will be FAQ'ed to comply with the other psychic powers.

There are the ones you've mentioned, and there's the one on page 66 which tells us how to measure range to an embarked unit
    No, there are rules there for Embarking and Disembarking, which proves your only trying to screw with the rules, nothing there to clear up the debate.

And as it happens in the Shooting phase, it can still be argued as a shooting attack,regardless of whether it targets or not, it's the phase it happens in.

Lets just all be patient and wait for an FAQ or Errata on this.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast