BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sooo.........what now for me?

Ahoy....

Made this account simply to post this opinion, as I had to get it off my chest!

I know it's hardly new that (some) people are upset that the Warhammer setting has been irrevocably destroyed. But I thought I'd just put my spin on it.

Firstly, I just wanted to say that I've never picked up a pair of dice in my life, I've never played 40k and I've never played Fantasy. I don't even own a miniature. However, I've purchased almost every single book (including codices) that GW have produced since the early 90's.

That might seem alien to you, but I bet I'm not alone. My reading habits have been to jump from one setting to the other over the last couple of decades- when I'm bored with 8 foot tall post-humans, I relished a return to stories of (relatively) normal people drinking in taverns before picking up a halberd and hacking enemies to death.

Yes, both settings are inherently silly, and yes both settings are (were?) based on tabletop wargames, but to me they're more than that. They're a gestalt collection of ramblings in an extremely rich world. That it's also British nonsense helped as well!

The fact that it was a fairly static universe was a GOOD thing to me, I like stories where not everyone is saving the world and not every action has far-reaching consequences.

Let's get it straight, GW are never going to sustain a business just by selling books. The books are, essentially, long form adverts for the game and I'm probably the worst kind of customer for them.

But, jesus, I feel so short-changed having followed this narrative for over 20 years to find the setting "switched off" in the space of three or four seemingly hastily written super-hero novels.

I can't shake off the feeling that I've totally wasted my time in investing (in terms of enthusiasm and time) myself into this particular universe.

Anyone agree?
    Last edited by Grentix; 04-22-2015 at 03:37 PM.

Scout

Did or did you not have a good time the last 20 years?

If "yes I had a good time', why are you feeling it a waste of your time then?

Have to say that I partially agree: it didn't had to go so dramatic with destroying all and everyone and so. Hopefully they make a good start in 9th with characters surviving and tying in open ends from ET books (Green knight? the trip into Nurgle mansion?), but will doubt that based on GW recent writing.

Would have loved it if they would not go from battle to battle describing bloodshed and death in 100 different ways, but go more into nicer storys. I'm reading Archaon now, and so far liked Nagash the best because it has more 'story'/ campaign feeling in it.

What would have helped is bringing out a book a year so you stretch this for 5 years, supported with campaigns, store events, special 'novel' models etc. This also gives (veteran) fans to slowly get used to thee idea instead of destroying all in a couple of months... GW really missed their opportunity with this one.

[edit] " I'm probably the worst kind of customer for them" --> I think not, I think they make a ton of money on the books...

Completely agree with you Grentix. I have been following the Warhammer world for 26 years. And I have very approximately £3000 worth of painted miniatures in the mix too. The Warhammer world has been with me through my childhood, university days, and something I enjoyed introducing my girl (now wife) to. My kids are now 6 and 4, and I was just starting to introduce my eldest to Warhammer (painting and gaming).

But now the world is blown up and EVERYONE is dead. All those stories, all those characters, all those games I have fought across the table, ... all gone.

It was pretty depressing for a couple of months. To be frank, I feel mostly over it now. I really think this was a COLOSSAL error by GW. I am mildly interested to see what they do now, but I won't be buying anything.

Since End Times started breaking, I have invested in Malifaux, X-Wing, the original SpaceHulk and more recently Warmachine. Have not really settled on anything yet that might be a Warhammer replacement for me.

Best of luck moving on mate. just goes to show doesn't it, absolutely NOTHING is sacred these days ! Lol.

Cheers

Yes, absolutely enjoyed it, I wouldn't have spent hundreds of pounds on books otherwise!

However, and while I'm not naive enough to think these things live on in perpetuity, It was just alarming how quick the universe was "turned off". With a risk of being a bit melodramatic, there's a bit of me thinking "why should I bother investing (both time and money) in the "new" setting (or even 40k) if it can just.........end".

It just seemed that there was so many more stories to tell!

Veteran-Sergeant

There is still room to tell more stories,
    Just because a new Star Wars is coming out doesn't mean The earlier stuff need be thrown out with the bathwater. If this site has shown me things one of them is no matter what the state of things are now some people will still be out there, playing 2nd edition; heck threats of Mordheim break out around here every other month.

Perhaps that's a bit of difference being a player and not just a reader, believe me my Krell supreme lord of the Undead was no where near as cool as the lit made him out to be (First game with him ever and he gets killed by a lizardman salamander, lord my ***) plus I don't worry aboot the world being blowed up, to me the Warhammer world works like a wiki search and with a bit of tweaking you can play anything you can imagine, at any time in the world's history.

As far as killing off some local favorites it seems in my opinion to be a move by GW to encourage new and younger players, especially in multi generational gaming families. Think aboot it: your a kid who plays and so does your dad, you have been raised on this stuff half your life and then all of a sudden, Something new happens! Then your beanstalking because it's like your dad's favorite hockey team just lost their best player and you drafted... THE GLOTTKIN!

Stories never just end, except for the Neverending Story, in the end that kid got shot.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

sorry man, wrong forum for this. Certain posters are just going to jump down your throat and blame you.

on a more serious note:

Personally it has always irritated me that a vocal minority of posters have never been able to comprehend that the warhammer world/ galaxy is a SETTING. its not a story. Both are designed to be a world right on the tipping point, in 40k this is even more evident as everything has been slowly circling the drain and is a fraction away from plummeting down it.

Yes GW hasn't helps with their constant lazy revisions of background to push new models and their ham fisted additions always being 99.9999999999 whatever. I mean you'd think a creative writer could do something more interesting with 10,000 years (or whatever the fantasy equivalent is) of history to work with.
    Last edited by daboarder; 05-08-2015 at 12:31 AM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

We're still waiting to see what that miracle was.

Sadly, I can't remember if this was rumour or speculation, but I have read that being the Incarnate of Heavens, which includes time and space, it's possible Karl Franz (assuming it was him grabbing what it was) may be able to go a bit wibblywobblytimeywimey, and assure a different outcome - like killing Mannfred before he jobs Teclis.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chaplain

30 years ago, there was a US TV show called "Dallas" that ended a very popular season with a major character waking up and discovering that all the crazy events of the last season "were all just a terrible dream."

People were sorely PISSED and felt like their intelligence had been insulted - the show went into a steep decline after that.

I think I know how you feel, mang. You feel like all your interest in a painstakingly constructed universe was all just wasted time, right?

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    sorry man, wrong forum for this. Certain posters are just going to jump down your throat and blame you
    Well...put..

Another way to look at it is that you got to be part of gaming history in a way. And as stated already, if you enjoyed it then was it really a waste of money?

I shot J.R.
    Last edited by Wolfshade; 05-09-2015 at 01:31 AM.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    We're still waiting to see what that miracle was.

Sadly, I can't remember if this was rumour or speculation, but I have read that being the Incarnate of Heavens, which includes time and space, it's possible Karl Franz (assuming it was him grabbing what it was) may be able to go a bit wibblywobblytimeywimey, and assure a different outcome - like killing Mannfred before he jobs Teclis.
    KF is dead and gone. Sigmar was the Incarnate of Heavens, having been locked in the eleven vortex with it by Tzeentch for reasons.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast