BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Threaded View

Brother-Sergeant

Default Is now a good time to get back in?

Hey folks, firstly this i my first post in a long while so hello to you all!

TL;DR at bottom.

I've been lurking here for a few weeks now, and ya'll certainly seem to be a lively bunch, so I'm looking forward to some good discussion. However my principle reason for lurking hear is to try and urk out the shape of 40K and GW in general.

I haven't played since the early days of 5th edition in 2008, I started playing in 2003 with LotR (I was young and the movies were the best thing I'd ever seen, so ya' know). I've always kept a close eye on the tabletop industry and the public reception of GW has never really been positive. However now that I've finished Uni and have a steady job/disposable income.... I'm starting feel the lure of the Grim Dark calling me once more.

I've always loved the 40k lore, and In my opinion the quality of their mini's is unrivaled.

But I get the feeling more people are jumping ship than ever, prices continue to rise and rules are broken more than ever. I regularly see posts foretelling the doom of GW, but GW have been capitalizing on their licence more than ever with video games, so surely they'd be in a stronger position than before no?

I suppose really I'm asking for a general opinion on the game, their certainly seems to be a lot more big robots and jets than last time, I'd like to start a Grey Knights force but will I get creamed it I don't shell out £90+ on those big Imperial Knight/Eldar/Tau kits? Is the game all Baneblades vs Titans now?

I know a lot of you may advise me to try out another system, but honestly the PP models just don't do it for me, lore and aesthetics has always been the biggest draw to 40K for myself, but are these worth the price of entry and broken game?

Finally thanks so much for reading thus far! But If I were to start once more it'd be from literally nothing, how much am I looking at for a Grey Kights force at 1500pts all paints, supplies, tools, rules included... rough estimate?

TL;DR been out of the game since 5th edition, thinking of starting once again. Good thing or bad thing? I literally have nothing, want to play Grey Knights what would the cost be?
    Last edited by xbenblasterx; 04-23-2015 at 12:47 AM.