BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

I thought eldar jetbikes were 18 points each
    17 points.
    Also, taking squads in consideration, the min. Squad of CSM bikes clocks in at 19 points higher than the windrider min. Squad (which is more than one additional windrider, or 2 scatter lasers)
    Your table also shows that they are exactly as survivable as a Tac marine (and nobody would argue "they die soooo fast"). Further movementspeed is a huge factor for survivability - not only the jetbike move, but the 36" turboboost to get out of harms way, the Jetbike per se to get OVER terrain if you want to hide behind and not THROUGH.
    Last but not least there is a lot more weapons and tbh most weapons pointed at mobile 3+ units tend to have a high S and low AP. Plasma (which is pretty common) is a big equalizer here, same as Grav and while Ork bikers seem to live longer in the world of tables, they tend to get targeted by Autocannons, Assault Cannons, Scatter lasers,.... a lot.

When you take into account higher power weaponry all the survival rates start to inch closer to 0 however, unless cover is involved which is, of course, equally available to all units anyways, so there's no real point in comparing surival rates in cover, as only the relative toughness is pertinent, and even then with strength 7+ this becomes immaterial. Also all bike units can turbo boost out of harms way, so this is not a unique eldar survival mechanism and I felt it didn't bear mentioning.

It's also worth pointing out that your usage of quotation marks for the statement, "they die soooo fast," is misleading, since it would seem you're trying to attribute that quote to me and I never said it. I was simply refuting your claim that eldar jetbikes were substantially more survivable than equivalents in other armies, when in fact they are the opposite.

They are certainly no harder to kill than a tactical marine, other than being able to run away faster (which would preclude standard bikes from doing anything useful, like shooting.)
    Last edited by Power Klawz; 04-30-2015 at 02:40 PM.

Turboboosting 12" is a bit different from boosting 36".
    The statement was from 2 people that posted before you jumped in.

They die SUPER EASILY* though.
    we were talking how easy bikes died.
    You did compare them with units that are on a higher point cost (I do not even want to start with "Windriders are troops, everything else you mentioned is Fast Attack" because it adds no value to survivability.)
    Windriders are basically extremely fast moving Space Marines with rending weapons. And I have yet to hear a person say "MEQ die SUPER EASY" and they are at the same points like Assault Marines. And yes, they are a lot more durable than assault marines.

They are certainly no harder to kill than a tactical marine, other than being able to run away faster (which would preclude standard bikes from doing anything useful, like shooting.)
    Unless of course you hit them with an AP3 weapon, as the Tac can't jink.
    Last edited by Charon; 04-30-2015 at 02:53 PM.

I think the issue here is that they're no harder to job than a standard Marine - who really aren't that tricky to drop. Sheer weight of firepower works wonders.

I'm wary of Eldar Jetbikes, but not worried. They pack a helluva punch, but are relatively straight forward to swat out the air. If they haven't been upgraded, they need to close the range, putting them in potentially dangerous situations. Upgrade them and that goes away, but instead make themselves higher value targets for me.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

My entire point is why would you hit them with AP3 weapons when AP- will kill them quick enough? For starters, most AP3 weaponry is overcosted and therefore underutilized. And most people don't prioritize 3+ saves for their AP2 or 1 weapons, meaning that in most practical circumstances the jetbikes won't be jinking anyways, they'll just be getting shot at by lots of low AP bullets. Also Tactical marines can benefit from cover saves without having to impact their shooting in the next turn, they don't suffer dangerous terrain tests for entering area terrain and can still get cover saves for when and if they are targeted by AP3 or worse weaponry. Different applications and strengths, obviously, but trying to say that jink makes jetbikes more survivable than tac marines in any practical sense is somewhat disingenuous.

Also, it may just be our differing interpretations of the word "alot," but bikes are certainly not alot more survivable than assault marines in my estimation. Now, if by "alot" you mean "marginally so in very particular and uncommon circumstances," then yes, I would agree with you. However, I would still consider that a very silly usage of the term.
    Last edited by Power Klawz; 04-30-2015 at 03:33 PM.

most AP3 weaponry is overcosted and therefore underutilized.
    This is the first time that I hear plasma and grav is "underutilized" when grav spam and plasma spam are pretty valid against MEQ.

But ok.
    I think we need more categories.
    If Windriders die "super easy" as mentioned above, we will need "super-duper easy" for Orks, "super-duper-mega easy" for Guard and "omg-super-duper-mega easy" for nids.

Don't get me wrong I am with you there in a sterile environment. But the deluded view of some Eldar players here about how bad and fragile their army is compared to others is somewhat annoying.

Plasma is ap2...

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    But the deluded view of some Eldar players here about how bad and fragile their army is compared to others is somewhat annoying.
    Yes, seriously. Enough. The army is good, really good. Any hate other players have toward them is silly and misguided, but let's not pretend they didn't just get buffed like crazy.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    I think the issue here is that they're no harder to job than a standard Marine - who really aren't that tricky to drop. Sheer weight of firepower works wonders.

I'm wary of Eldar Jetbikes, but not worried. They pack a helluva punch, but are relatively straight forward to swat out the air. If they haven't been upgraded, they need to close the range, putting them in potentially dangerous situations. Upgrade them and that goes away, but instead make themselves higher value targets for me.
    Basic Marines are not difficult to deal with because they're relatively slow and have pretty crappy firepower for their points, not because they are fragile. Jetbikes outshoot every single power armor unit in the entire game, are extremely fast, and are inexpensive for what you get. That their relative weakness is their durability does not make them particularly fragile, nor does it not mean they aren't obscenely good.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chaplain

I just couldn't read through the whole 13 pages cause I have people breathing down my neck for the computer.

Just a quick observation on the Holo-fields, sorry if it has been mentioned. I don't think the change is that bad from jink/cover to invulnerable, though the odds are longer. The inv' save will work if you are being assaulted, which jink definitely did not. If you have to use it, there will be no modification to your shooting next turn and ignores cover still has to beat a save.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast