BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Default Got the Eldar Codex, first impressions

Hi ya´ll...

It is about noon here in Finland and i got my codex at 10 o´clock, when the store opened.

I´ve spent about an hour skimming it through and i´m excited and disappointed ATM...

Let´s go through the disappointing parts first, they are mostly not about the rules, but the codex itself.

1.) It seems, like half of the codex is a painting guide, which is fine for hardcore purists, who create awesome armies and want the color scheme to be precise. How ever, i´m not that kind of an Eldar -player, i have my own color scheme, so it seems, like i paid 20€ extra, for the stuff i don´t need. And the fluff again, is copy-pasted...
    2.) Altough Formations are "the thing" ATM, for my, it seems most of them are beyond my reach with the models i currently have (unemployed, so no more models says the wife ). But few are achievable, and they seem awesome!
    3.) Warlord traits...*sigh*...WHY.CAN´T.WE.GET.DECENT.ONE´S? For me, only the WL re-rolls saving throws of 1 seems good...
    4.) Relics...Very situational, maybe the Shard if baby sitting some Dark Eldar Reavers and the new pistol, but mostly crap IMHO
    5.) Holo-Fields now 5+ Invl. save UNLESS immobilized = no need to use these anymore...
    6.) New Monofilament, me no like it

THE GOOD STUFF! I´m going to tell my it in my basic FOC perspective

1.) Rangers got their Shrouded back! YEAH!!!!
    2.) Avatar boost for 12" increased, Furious charge and Rage too!
    3.) Wraithknight...LOW...hmm...no insta gibbing, which helps me tremendously against GK...
    4.) Vypers are CHEEEEEAAAAAP
    5.) All the new Exarch stuff + 2W = freekin awesome!
    6.) Swooping Hawks can do one attack on a flier/FMC = should have been on the last codex already...
    7.) Phoenix Lords got BUFFED! Dear lord! Hard to choose HQ´s now I like the problem thou...
    8.) Banshees got their BUFFFFFF...
    9.) Jetbikes, of course
    10.) Farseer´s can re-roll once in a Psychic phase DTW or PT...awe-so-me...plus Ghosthelm is the same...

I´m still happy, i don´t see anything OP here (unless you are a SPAM-SPIGGITY-SPAM-MAN/WOMAN), than the already complained things (WK=GC, Bikes etc...), but this could have been done with a 30€ codex too. There should be an option for a just the rules codex or this "lookey the pictures here boy!" -codex...

Now, let´s hope Army Builder updates within few months, don´t like the Excel armysheets

- Lost Vyper
    "WHAT KIND OF A PEACE
    DO I HAVE WITH A DESTROYER"

Should really get up off my hot sexy buns and wander up the shop to nab my copy.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Can I ask you what the minimum buy in in Jetbike/seerbike/Vyper models is to buy the core for the multi detachment formation? That will determine for me if I can be bothered with the Eldar or not (I don't want to spam them, but I don't want to buy the Vaul's wrath that in both other cores either).

Quote Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
    Can I ask you what the minimum buy in in Jetbike/seerbike/Vyper models is to buy the core for the multi detachment formation? That will determine for me if I can be bothered with the Eldar or not (I don't want to spam them, but I don't want to buy the Vaul's wrath that in both other cores either).
    9 jetbikes, a farseer, a warlock, and a vyper. Honestly though CAD is better.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowcatX View Post
    Thanks, I've already got the guts of an Eldar army that's been hanging around from 2nd Ed with a few extras picked up ad hoc since (a mass of Dire avengers mostly). As it's my 4th 40k force I want to keep it on a leash and stop it sprawling into an expensive mess, the pick and drop formation boxes seem quite fun for that with the formation of '3 aspect squads, ignore chart restrictions'.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowcatX View Post
    Not too sure... it does not come with a huge unwanted tax (Warlock and Vyper probably) is not a whole lot of points and makes the rest of your army always run 6" which is actually amazing depending on the build you want to go for.

More fun things found, Warp Spider gets sucked in to the warp in the movement phase only with snake eyes, nice. Autarch with a Banshee mask + some CC unit assaulting is nasty = no overwatch . Karandras, 30 points less and better, Scorpions bite auto-wounds on 2+ (initiative 10), no armor saves...
    "WHAT KIND OF A PEACE

I like this book a lot. I think they've finally nailed the Aspect Warriors; each of them now does what it should do. Scorpions sneak around and pounce, Banshees leap over obstacles and chop your head off, Warp Spiders scurry away...
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'nSmurfs View Post
    I like this book a lot. I think they've finally nailed the Aspect Warriors; each of them now does what it should do
    This. My point exactly (too)!
    "WHAT KIND OF A PEACE

The new book is inspiring, many options seem pretty cool that didn't before. (While the book allows for abusive stuff, I'm 0% interested in that.) Especially aspect warriors and Phoenix lords have the right feel. It's a crying shame GW basically gave the opposite treatment to previous 7e books, not only in terms of playability in the power level sense but in the appealingness of rules department. Perhaps they have just recently realized that the secret to keeping the player base happy is to actually write rules that make people inspired to play with all the nice models they make..?

Some random things I picked up on my initial skim through the book:

*Jain Zar's disarm ability apparently not only turns off the enemy weapon's combat profile but also any other abilities it may have. So she could potentially, for example, kill a guy with the Khorne Daemonkin "turns to Bloodthister upon death" axe without all the awkwardness of a Thirster turning up.

*Eldar Missile Launchers seem to now come with flak missiles for no extra cost. This is probably to balance out their new retarded name.

*On top of all their new improvements, Bashees now cost the same amount of points cost as Avengers.

*Doom is now Warp Charge 2. This means there are now a grand total of 2 Runes of Fate powers with Warp Charge cost of 1. Pretty much makes packing the warp charge-lowering relic a no-brainer if it wasn't that already. As a related side note, tanks (particularly Falcons) now coming in squadrons makes for some pretty appealing Guide targets.

*Eldrad Ulthran seems potentially pretty nasty as he always gets the "D3 units get Scout" warlord trait. Potential targets include Scytheguard in a Wave Serpent (the most competitive option probably) as well as the Wraithknight or Avatar. Also, that's a way to get a D-cannon battery withing range in the first turn assuming 24" between armies. Additionally, when taken as part of the Seer Council and rocking some psychic discipline with lower warp charge costs than Fate, his staff might actually generate a meaningful number of extra charges. He still costs almost the same amount of points as 2 bare-bones Farseers though.

*Fuegan is S5, marking the first departure from the until-now universal Phoenix lord statline. :O

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast