BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

My understanding at this point is that you can take the formations and they count as detachments, no? Granted you don't get the Command Benefit from the CAD/AD or the Eldar Warhost Command Benefit, but you don't have to take all the Warhost pre-req's either?

This would be a legal battle-forged army? So if you want to play Iyanden, you would use the Wraithhost formations and just get no "Command Benefits"?

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Thaldin View Post
    My understanding at this point is that you can take the formations and they count as detachments, no?
    Some, yes. Some, no. Don't have the book yet, or a list of formations, but there's a discussion of this [URL="http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?407490-Eldar-imminent/page145"]over on Warseer[/URL]

Chapter-Master

Here are the formations available:

Guardian Battlehost
    Windrider Host
    Guardian Stormhost
    Seer Council
    Aspect Host
    Dire Avenger Shrine
    Crimson Death
    Wraith Host

All of those are listed as independent formations in the book. They can be combined in the Craftworld Warhost parent formation as well.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Chapter-Master

Still waiting on my codex to show from GW. It's driving me crazy to not be able to start reorganizing my Warhost! Looks like a lot of the rage has dwindled which is a good thing I presume. This book goes a long way toward changing how everyone else plays vs how long time Eldar players play. Other than rotating Banshees and Scorpions through my army now I really don't think I'll be changing anything at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Nobody can convince me that guardians are worth taking - if it wasn't of the fact that I had to pay that tax for getting 6" runs across the board, I would never, ever take that formation.
    I love my Guardians! Like Swooping Hawks they're a staple in my warhost. I usually run 2 squads of 10 with platforms in Serpents for mobile fire support. I've went as high as 3 squads but it eats into the rest of the army quite a bit. (Plus I don't like to run more than 3 serpents and I need one for Fire Dragons or Wraithguard)
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    I love my Guardians! Like Swooping Hawks they're a staple in my warhost. I usually run 2 squads of 10 with platforms in Serpents for mobile fire support. I've went as high as 3 squads but it eats into the rest of the army quite a bit. (Plus I don't like to run more than 3 serpents and I need one for Fire Dragons or Wraithguard)
    As long as their primary gun has the range of a spitball, they're terrible. (Don't tell me that BF fixes it, because it doesn't. It only puts them into charge range if they want to use their catapults) Since their primary weapon is such garbage range for a unit that folds like a cheap tent in combat, I really resent having to pay 100pts for a single heavy weapon.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

I've never got the hang of guardians and I still maintain they are a ridiculous unit for a craftworld to field from a lore perspective too. 'we're nearly extinct, lets round up Bob and Shirley and put them in cardboard with a paintball and send the magainst our enemies en masse!'.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I've never got the hang of guardians and I still maintain they are a ridiculous unit for a craftworld to field from a lore perspective too. 'we're nearly extinct, lets round up Bob and Shirley and put them in cardboard with a paintball and send the magainst our enemies en masse!'.
    There's that part about it too.... I can understand training them to use tanks and big guns and stuff, but putting the poor gits and gitettes on the front line seems to be a bit ... dire... I guess needs must.

First-Captain

Smaller skirmishes and surgical strikes, Aspects make sense but for all out war, which the main 40K game is for, Guardians making up the bulk of the infantry makes sense to me at least, thats how I've always seen the Eldar anyway.

Brother-Sergeant

Here are the formations available:

Guardian Battlehost
    Windrider Host
    Guardian Stormhost
    Seer Council
    Aspect Host
    Dire Avenger Shrine
    Crimson Death
    Wraith Host

All of those are listed as independent formations in the book. They can be combined in the Craftworld Warhost parent formation as well.
    a bit disappointed there isn't a Outcasts (rangers) formation but that's just me i guess

Chapter-Master

As long as their primary gun has the range of a spitball, they're terrible. (Don't tell me that BF fixes it, because it doesn't. It only puts them into charge range if they want to use their catapults) Since their primary weapon is such garbage range for a unit that folds like a cheap tent in combat, I really resent having to pay 100pts for a single heavy weapon.
    Well they are fairly useless in an assault. I like them as part of a one two punch. Roll up 6" in Serpent, spin to enemy, deploy 6", shoot then run away! Serpent uses the handy vectored engines (which I really hope we still have!) and spins back to face the enemy. Usually can work it to where an actual decent unit dances back in front of them or where the firepower is so overwhelming in that area that it sweeps the opposition.

While guardians are definitely not sturdy but they are a nice cog in the Warhost machine. The heavy platform is more giving them something to do when you use them to scoot over to a distant objective and camp out. The lazy mooks have to still contribute something more than moral support to the rest of the host.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I always imagined the 40k battles represent the rare dramatic affairs that require the Craftworlds to muster all the troops.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast