BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Librarian

I noticed that exarchs don't get improved armour if you're a DA, banshee or SH. Unless Im missing something. And almost all of Eldar psychic powers are WC 2 to cast.

Im feeling a straight up army without the formations is the way to go, less taxes to pay.

Using the formations does give you more Troop choices on the board.

It's been a while since I've played but I'd assume that's an advantage?

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Dalleron View Post
    I noticed that exarchs don't get improved armour if you're a DA, banshee or SH. Unless Im missing something. And almost all of Eldar psychic powers are WC 2 to cast.

Im feeling a straight up army without the formations is the way to go, less taxes to pay.

Yes but the 3x Aspect formation gets nasty... 3x 5(or 10) man Dark reaper squads with star shot missiles - so much S8 shooting at BS5!!! (525 pts) (can also remove SM tactical squads from table)

combine with Seer council - Casting on 3+ (with rerolls due to Runes of the Farseer), can also give one farseer Spirit Stone of Anath'lan for -1 Warp charge cost. if that farseer gets Eldritch Storm, cast the 4 WC version (down to 3) on a 3+ with rerolls --> Apocalyptic Blast Fleshbane AP3... (costs 390pts - if only 5 warlocks are used)
    Last edited by Mr.Gold; 04-26-2015 at 09:22 AM.

Chapter-Master

Played a small game yesterday, 1000 points against my friend Kyle who was borrowing my Blood Angels. He's never played space marines before.

My list was a rather simple guardian warhost formation with the only upgrades really being a d-cannong, a pair of warlocks and a max squad of war walkers. I also took an aspect host of 2x DA and 1x DR. The Dark reapers were - nasty. Totally nasty.

However, the game was really, really close. He had a lot of flamers, and I lost droves upon droves of guardians. Nobody can convince me that guardians are worth taking - if it wasn't of the fact that I had to pay that tax for getting 6" runs across the board, I would never, ever take that formation.

I ended up winning but only because we were playing purge (I had a new codex, he was playing a codex he's never even read before) and he ended up combat squadding all of his marines coming out of drop pods, effectively giving me the KP advantage.

Overall I have to say tha its a stout book with a lot of options - but I'm pretty peeved that I have to take guardians in the first place as I find them rather, ... well... abysmal.

Cool trick you can use if you get the Will of Asuryan power. First time your dudes come under heavy fire, you go to ground... your next turn you can cast the power and if they're in 12" of the farseer they then become fearless and are no longer pinned - so they can battlefocus and shoot. Used to do this trick with the Avatar bubble - now you can do it with the farseer too if you get that power.
    Last edited by Defenestratus; 04-26-2015 at 09:42 AM.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    I'm pretty peeved that I have to take guardians in the first place as I find them rather, ... well... abysmal.
    Take a Windrider Host instead then - min points is:
    farseer skyrunner + spear 120
    1x warlock skyrunner 50
    3x 3-man windriders, 1x shruiken cannon (so not to be too cheesy) 183
    1x vyper + 2xshruiken cannons 50

total = 403

(then add 3x 5-man Dark reaper squads (with starshot) - in aspect host formation) (525pts)

total = 928 (72 points to spend).

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Gold View Post
    Take a Windrider Host instead then - min points is:
    farseer skyrunner + spear 120
    1x warlock skyrunner 50
    3x 3-man windriders, 1x shruiken cannon (so not to be too cheesy) 183
    1x vyper + 2xshruiken cannons 50

total = 403

(then add 3x 5-man Dark reaper squads (with starshot) - in aspect host formation) (525pts)

total = 928 (72 points to spend).
    I would have run jetbikes but at the moment, I'm having them painted.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Sonikgav View Post
    Using the formations does give you more Troop choices on the board.

It's been a while since I've played but I'd assume that's an advantage?
    The chief benefit of being a Troop choice is getting Objective Secured, but that only applies in a CAD or AD. In a formation, you're not getting that.

Librarian

Mr. Gold, I see the possibilities of all the hosts and formations. It's the tax of having to buy new models that I don't have at the moment. So I'll stick with normal army list for the time being.

Brother-Sergeant

The book looks solid. In general I don't think it's going to be as bad as the rage hate suggests. It can't be as bad as the dreaded Draigo/Paladin deathstar.

The formations though are very tasty. I can't see people not taking the aspect warrior formation. It's just too juicy to pass up.

We'll have to see over the next few weeks.
    Cutter on the Eldar: "They'll be dead soon, why not throw them a wraithbone every now and then?"

Yeah. The proof of the pudding will be in the next weeks and months (and years). Rightly or wrongly, the reactions to a new book are always at their most, uh, ardent just after release. Personally, I like it.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast