BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Librarian

Default New Eldar: Dire Avenger with two Invulns?

New book and all excited, so perhaps I'm missing something.
    p116 under Dire Avengers gives the Exarch Battle Fortune=4++
    The Exarch can also take wargear of power sword+Shimmer Shield (5++)
    If this is so, why would anyone take the PS/Shimmershield option instead of a Dire Sword ShuriPistol for the same cost?

Chapter-Master

Because GW doesn't think these thing through? This is the same book that has a 300pt Wraithknight that's so criminally undercosted it's not even funny.

Librarian

I just figured it out.
    The Shimmershield gives the whole unit 5++

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Because GW doesn't think these thing through? This is the same book that has a 300pt Wraithknight that's so criminally undercosted it's not even funny.
    Right!
    FnP, Stomp, and can shoot all of its weapons at different targets! Now worth taking those shoulder mounted options!

Quote Originally Posted by JMichael View Post
    I just figured it out.
    The Shimmershield gives the whole unit 5++
    !
    You could do this in the 6th edition book, but the 4++ was a purchasable Exarch power. I never took the Exarch power, but always took the squad wide invul.

Jmichael has it right. The real question is why you'd bother taking a mediocre melee character in an entirely shooty unit in the first place. Outside of the DA Shrine formation, he's just not worth it. It's also worth pointing out the Exarchs dont all have 3+ saves now, their save is the same as the rest of the unit (so only 4+ for Avengers, Banshees, and Hawks).

If youre taking eldar assault options youre really going to have to make some tactical decisions to make proper use of them. You might have to start skipping shooting phases or something, or give your opponent a 2 turn head start.

Quote Originally Posted by jenkatron View Post
    If youre taking eldar assault options youre really going to have to make some tactical decisions to make proper use of them. You might have to start skipping shooting phases or something, or give your opponent a 2 turn head start.
    Are you seriously claiming Eldar assault units are broken? Excepting the Wraithknight, which is broken for reasons besides it's melee prowess, name one.

The shimmer shield confers the 5++ to his squad as well.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by JMichael View Post

Right!
    FnP, Stomp, and can shoot all of its weapons at different targets! Now worth taking those shoulder mounted options!
    I read a piece on Spikey bitz (I think) called 'you've been doing it wrong' Apparently a gargantuan creature can only fire 2 weapons like a monstrous creature, not all like a SH vehicle. Just sayin'.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.