BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Doom of Malan'tai CAN still target embarked troops

Well its been an iffy one. But the latest 40k main rulebook FAQ has still not cleared it up I'm afraid, like people seem to think.

Q. Can Psychic powers be used on a unit
    embarked on a transport?
    A. For simplicity’s sake, the answer has to be a
    firm ‘No, unless the psyker himself is in the unit
    being transported’.

The Doom of Malan'tai's ability is not a psychic power I'm afraid.

So there you go, feel free to check it out on the main GW website.
    Last edited by foostoofoo; 02-27-2010 at 06:03 AM.

Brother-Sergeant

Isn't the Doom just a jumped up Zoanthrope? So by definition ALL of its attacks would be psychic, even if it's not expressly stated in the psychic powers sheet, or as a psychic shooting attack

To me, the answer (to the conundrum) is more about fact that it's a field, vice something the Doom throws out. He doesnt 'target', right? he just has the big field o' spirit leech ...

To me it seems to come down to two groups of people. One group (probably tyranid players ) desperately wants it to work on embarked units. The other group doesn't(me and every mech imperial player). Both have already made up there mind how they want it to work and are looking for rules to support it. I personally have yet to encounter this d-bag but I'm hoping and thinking that I have enough s8 in my little metal boxes to deal with him before he causes too much of a ruckus.

I'd really love to see a definitive FAQ that says "for ****s sake! It (does or doesnt) effect embarked units! Now go away!". Not sure why its taking so long, unless they are doing ridiculous amounts of play testing to determine how un balancing it is or not. Lets hope that its for that reason that GW is dragging its feet.
    letsagetabitarockin!

Your first assertion, RocketRollRebel: that the only people who think the Doom works against embarked units are Tyranid players who want it to be more powerful, is only matched in puerility by your second assertion: that everyone who doesn't think it works on embarked units is an Imperial mech player who want it to be less powerful.

Discounting the notion that some people don't care and have come to their conclusions by reading the rules without some prior bias is just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyOrang
    Isn't the Doom just a jumped up Zoanthrope? So by definition ALL of its attacks would be psychic, even if it's not expressly stated in the psychic powers sheet, or as a psychic shooting attack
    No, it wouldn't mean that at all. When the Zoanthrope bashes enemies in combat, is that a psychic attack?

No. He's lashing them with his tail, or whatever.

The fact that the model is a psycker does not, in any way, indicate that all of its attacks are psychic attacks. That assertion is obviously absurd.

Further, of course, Spirit Leech isn't an attack at all.

It's an ability. It's not a psychic power. The fact that the Doom is a zoanthrope doesn't change this at all.

Abbess Sanctorum

Psychic attacks cannot target a unit in a transport.
    Shooting attacks cannot target a unit in a transport.
    Assault attacks cannot target a unit in a transport.

There is nothing expressly stating that the Doom can target a unit in a transport with all of its psychic powers that aren't called psychic powers (yes, that is what Spirit Leech is), but there's plenty of precedence against it being able to.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    Your first assertion, RocketRollRebel: that the only people who think the Doom works against embarked units are Tyranid players who want it to be more powerful, is only matched in puerility by your second assertion: that everyone who doesn't think it works on embarked units is an Imperial mech player who want it to be less powerful.

Discounting the notion that some people don't care and have come to their conclusions by reading the rules without some prior bias is just silly.
    Hmm yeah sorry about that. I wasn't trying to be a jerk or anything. I was trying to keep my tone light (hard to do on teh interwebz, hence the gratuitous use of smiley faces)

That said I would let my embarked units be hit by it. I think I'm more just annoyed by the lack of clarity and the fact that its all I've been hearing about for the past month. Whining about this thing or that thing being OP just gets old after a while. Like when new rumors come out and you get that guy whos post is "creep creep creep". Well play better and learn to deal with it!

Okay I'm done before this turns into a ridiculous off topic rant
    letsagetabitarockin!

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    Psychic attacks cannot target a unit in a transport.
    Shooting attacks cannot target a unit in a transport.
    Assault attacks cannot target a unit in a transport.

There is nothing expressly stating that the Doom can target a unit in a transport with all of its psychic powers that aren't called psychic powers (yes, that is what Spirit Leech is), but there's plenty of precedence against it being able to.
    Good thing it doesn't target anything then eh?

Basically there's two groups, those that think it effects units in transports and those that didn't actually sit down and read the relevant rules.

There's already a thread about this in the rules section (where it belongs).

Abbess Sanctorum

Quote Originally Posted by Shavnir View Post
    Basically there's two groups, those that think it effects units in transports and those that actually sit down and read the relevant rules.
    Right you are.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    There's already a thread about this in the rules section (where it belongs).
    Which has been closed by the way for fear of debate infinitum.
    (Unless another one has been started.)
    My son, ask for thyself another Kingdom, for that which I leave is too small for thee.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast