Ok, so I figured I'd solicit some advice from the community here on the direction I should take in constructing my ork army. A little backstory: Currently I've got a rather eclectic collection of orks somewhere in the 6k points range, much of it still in boxes and the vast majority of it unpainted. Its been sitting around for a few years now and I really want to start modeling and painting it, with the eventual end goal being to actually play some games with it.

My primary goal is to develop a characterful force that looks great on the tabletop, obviously this will be dependent on my painting skills. My very important secondary goal is to field a force that will allow me to play enjoyable games against a wide variety of opponents. I don't really plan to use my initial list as a no holds barred tournament sort of implement. I just want to stick within a theme while still remaining "competitive." Which, in a system as abusable as 40k, is of course entirely subjective.

So what I'm looking for here is really a prioritization. How can I construct a fun and playable force from my current collection, and what should I focus on building and painting first? Should I add more of certain units?

My goal is to create a mechanized, shooty force led by big meks. I'd like to cram in as many walkers and transports as possible, as well as some air support. I'm aiming for an 1850 list I can then expand on later. My collection basically consists of at least one full sized unit of everything in the codex, with a few exceptions. I've got a lot of boyz, maybe around 100 or so, but not enough for a full on green tide list. A few key things I really want to include (somewhat irrespective of how "competitive" they may or may not be) are:

Big Mek with mega armor (probably with a KFF)
Morkanaut with KFF
Burna Boyz (yes I know nobody likes them)
Lootas
1 or 2 flyers.
lots of trucks
battlewagons

I envision the majority of the infantry being in transports and rushing forward to grab objectives. I'd like to have a contingent of walkers if possible, sort of acting like a distraction carnifex. Would like to plop a small unit of burna boyz with a mek or two into the morkanaut, and use the naut to spearhead the walker contingent. I've got several deff dreads and killer kanz at my disposal.

Is the concept of a mobile shooty ork force doable? Can I cram a bunch of walkers into 1850? Am I breaking the old addage of boyz before toys too egregiously? Let me know if you have any suggestions or experience with similar lists. What did you find success with? What didn't perform like you thought it would?