BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

My only experience with orks this edition was losing to Orks and Necrons in a team tourney (I was Harlequins, my partner Tau).

I also watched someone at the store destroy a marine army with the Green Tide. Once he made contact it was a slow grind as the power klaws made their way to targets.

Quote Originally Posted by deinol View Post
    I also watched someone at the store destroy a marine army with the Green Tide. Once he made contact it was a slow grind as the power klaws made their way to targets.
    I love my Orks, but that had to be a horrible Marine player. The Green Tide is unwieldy, full of Orks with 6+ armor (maybe 5+ FNP), and can't charge multiple units without losing not just the +1A but also the +1S from Furious Charge, meaning you either try to charge all those Orks at one target, or you nerf the snot out of your attacks. Meanwhile, bolters, flamers, pretty much any template weapons, all have loads of fun.

I'm not scared of a Green Tide when I face it, and I won't use it, because it only really serves as a "fluffy" unit/formation.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    I love my Orks, but that had to be a horrible Marine player. The Green Tide is unwieldy, full of Orks with 6+ armor (maybe 5+ FNP), and can't charge multiple units without losing not just the +1A but also the +1S from Furious Charge, meaning you either try to charge all those Orks at one target, or you nerf the snot out of your attacks. Meanwhile, bolters, flamers, pretty much any template weapons, all have loads of fun.

I'm not scared of a Green Tide when I face it, and I won't use it, because it only really serves as a "fluffy" unit/formation.
    He did multiple charge, tying up several units. You don't need to kill them first assault, once locked in combat the opponent can't shoot you. As I said, it was watching the slow migration of power klaws into melee. Ork player gets first blood, slay the warlord, and has the footprint to hold or contest most of the objectives on the board. Once he reached combat it was game over.

Edit: Ok, the marine list wasn't particularly equipped to handle close combat. He didn't have assault termies or anything. I'm still not certain it would have made a difference.

Ps: wish you were nearby. I'd love to try my harlequins against your orks. While I have fun, my list isn't exactly broken.
    Last edited by deinol; 04-30-2015 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Details

He did multiple charge, tying up several units. You don't need to kill them first assault, once locked in combat the opponent can't shoot you. As I said, it was watching the slow migration of power klaws into melee. Ork player gets first blood, slay the warlord, and has the footprint to hold or contest most of the objectives on the board. Once he reached combat it was game over.

Edit: Ok, the marine list wasn't particularly equipped to handle close combat. He didn't have assault termies or anything. I'm still not certain it would have made a difference.
    Assault termies are a pale shadow of what they used to be, as far as close combat effectiveness versus point cost goes. Assault marines would be a better metric, since often the best defense against a melee list is to engage them before they can reach your shooters. If you had two squads of Assault Marines to engage the Orks in the center of the table, the rest of the Tide will be stuck trying to squeeze around the melee to get to your shooters (which is cumbersome if it works at all, depending on terrain placement). I'm a Blood Angels player though, so my view of Marines is a bit biased.

If an Ork player got first blood with a melee list against marines.. the marines must not have had shooting OR melee. Taking out 30 orks in a single shooting phase should be something a Marine player can do blindfolded. As others have pointed out, there's just so much good shooting available to the 'good' codexes, and close combat has been really underpowered since 6th.

Quote Originally Posted by vonDietdrich View Post
    Assault termies are a pale shadow of what they used to be, as far as close combat effectiveness versus point cost goes. Assault marines would be a better metric, since often the best defense against a melee list is to engage them before they can reach your shooters. If you had two squads of Assault Marines to engage the Orks in the center of the table, the rest of the Tide will be stuck trying to squeeze around the melee to get to your shooters (which is cumbersome if it works at all, depending on terrain placement). I'm a Blood Angels player though, so my view of Marines is a bit biased.

If an Ork player got first blood with a melee list against marines.. the marines must not have had shooting OR melee. Taking out 30 orks in a single shooting phase should be something a Marine player can do blindfolded. As others have pointed out, there's just so much good shooting available to the 'good' codexes, and close combat has been really underpowered since 6th.
    To get first blood against the green tide don't you need to kill all of the orks? They only have one unit.

And just a quick recap.

Although intended as a thread of positivity, this isn't some exclusive club. Anyone can post anything (except Ponies, 'splodge), just make sure it's constructive to keep a discussion going.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

It's hard to say precisely how I feel about the current state of Games Workshop's offerings. On the one hand it is quite encouraging to see these mini-factions and even a full blown new faction coming to light, on the other hand these new shiny things are happening at the expense of what I really want: A full scale modernization of the existing product lines.

Adding in a new scale to the game with super heavies and the like is ok with me, it'd be nice to see some more variety in that avenue but the minis are cool.

Ever since the Dread knight I've had to monitor my eye roll reflex to make sure my eyes don't roll right out of my head though. Every few months it seems like something really stupid looking or sounding comes around and I can't help but think that this is the cost of the accelerated production methods and asinine legalities. Making cool new imperial storm trooper models with lots of option? Cool beans. Giving them a stupid looking dune buggy to roll around in and calling them Asstrum Tempertantrus or whatever, completely ridiculous. A lot of the feel of the settings seems to be ebbing away to make room for WOW! BIG! COOL! but like, the childhood afternoon television definition of cool, which obviously isn't cool at all.

Some of the new Mechanicus stuff looks pretty sweet though, so maybe there's still hope for the aesthetic. The plethora of obscenely priced books is somewhat annoying, but ultimately pointless since I don't buy the vast majority of them anyways. The new "decurion" style army lists are predicated on what might be a good idea, but executed in such a manner that its obvious they're nothing more than a money grab. That pissed me off. They could have spent some time and developed a more robust and unique army building experience for your army, but instead they simply instituted a tax on acquiring unit buffs. A lot of these sub unit types are horrendously obvious, combining new minis with woefully outdated ones in an attempt to clear out old stock.

Calling everything a knight is also so super awesome that I could just crap myself.

To get first blood against the green tide don't you need to kill all of the orks? They only have one unit.
    Well, Green Tide is a formation you can take in a larger army, so not necessarily one unit. Saw a guy using one in a match a couple weeks ago, but he also had other stuff (the list would sound like a lot, but I also have to qualify that it was a 3K match).

If the army was just one unit, it can't split its firepower, so it'd have to rush into combat quickly. Should be relatively easy to maneuver around. A lot of fire poured in, hit them with Overwatch, and then the Marines should be able to deal enough casualties to keep combat close or win. Not as easy as doing it with normal Ork hordes (where you can blast them down to around 10 models and then let them assault you and be sure you're going to win combat), but definitely doable.

Green Tide is fun to use when you just want to throw a mob of Orks at the enemy, but it just isn't really that feasible. For a hilarious match, though, pair a Green Tide with a Stompa and laugh at the suggestion that you care about such pedestrian concepts as "Leadership tests." Take an Allied Detachment or CAD, add Painboss to the Green Tide (102+ Orks with FNP), a Big Mek with 4+ KFF in the Stompa, some Grots to eat points, a unit of Burna Boyz with some converted to Meks in the Stompa, and spare "bonus" Meks in the Stompa, and just walk forward shrugging off all kinds of shots, taking no Ld, repairing every bit of damage to the Stompa.

Actually, I think I've just come up with the list to use against my buddy's IG this weekend. (He wants to do an Orks-IG match because we play fluffy lists and give each other a good match. Though if Pask is on the table, I will obliterate his entire army without remorse. For principle.)

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    Well, Green Tide is a formation you can take in a larger army, so not necessarily one unit. Saw a guy using one in a match a couple weeks ago, but he also had other stuff (the list would sound like a lot, but I also have to qualify that it was a 3K match).

If the army was just one unit, it can't split its firepower, so it'd have to rush into combat quickly. Should be relatively easy to maneuver around. A lot of fire poured in, hit them with Overwatch, and then the Marines should be able to deal enough casualties to keep combat close or win. Not as easy as doing it with normal Ork hordes (where you can blast them down to around 10 models and then let them assault you and be sure you're going to win combat), but definitely doable.

Green Tide is fun to use when you just want to throw a mob of Orks at the enemy, but it just isn't really that feasible. For a hilarious match, though, pair a Green Tide with a Stompa and laugh at the suggestion that you care about such pedestrian concepts as "Leadership tests." Take an Allied Detachment or CAD, add Painboss to the Green Tide (102+ Orks with FNP), a Big Mek with 4+ KFF in the Stompa, some Grots to eat points, a unit of Burna Boyz with some converted to Meks in the Stompa, and spare "bonus" Meks in the Stompa, and just walk forward shrugging off all kinds of shots, taking no Ld, repairing every bit of damage to the Stompa.

Actually, I think I've just come up with the list to use against my buddy's IG this weekend. (He wants to do an Orks-IG match because we play fluffy lists and give each other a good match. Though if Pask is on the table, I will obliterate his entire army without remorse. For principle.)
    I faced pretty much this exact list this past weekend. Its tough for all the reasons you said, you should play it and rekindle yer gaming love dude. Who knows, it may even generate a positive post from you.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    I think you just nailed it.

I've always been pretty rabid when it comes to GW stuff, but these releases have blown away an ennui I didn't realise was there.

I'm frothing like a good'un about the Skitarii stuff. Whilst I appreciate he's not to everyone's tastes, the models are straight out of John Blanche's sketchbook. They look how Mechanicus stuff should look - technohorror. Soldiers willingly submitting to mutilation of their bodies to be one with the machine.

The Imperium itself is really starting to feel like the Imperium. If anything, I'd say Space Marines need to Gothic it up a bit more.
    See, I find that interesting because I don't see the blanche weirdness at all (bar that awesome spider legged tech priest) myself and you aren't the first to mention that. To me, It looks much more industrial, more along the lines of the Solar Auxillia - which I happen to like a lot too, but it's not what I want from mechanicum. Maybe they'll come out with more exotic stuff later on once the army has proved it's popularity (Which I think it will, easily)
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast