BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

my attitude to 40k at the moment is basically summed up in this video

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ivarr View Post
    Or you could spend the time you are wasting second guessing the rules and complaining learning to compete in the current meta with the armies you already have?

And while you are at it try and enjoy watching some of the coolest stuff GW has ever released being added every week.

Reset the "why balance is important" clock guys.

Maybe we should start keeping track of every time the "positive" crowd attacks a poster for simply stating that they would like more balance? might shed some light on who the actual problem is
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivarr View Post
    Or you could spend the time you are wasting second guessing the rules and complaining learning to compete in the current meta with the armies you already have?
    It's that kind of attitude that ruins the game.

Librarian

That video is incredible when they get to the part about the sicarians, i almost cried

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan Land View Post
    That video is incredible when they get to the part about the sicarians, i almost cried
    I liked the part about, "No, we have already done those books....next tau"
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

It's really all about who you play against. The two stores I (just started to) go to seem to have lots of cool people. We all play to have fun, and it works out.

I haven't played this much 40k since college.

Chapter-Master

The days when anyone even tried to make sense of PV's in the game are well in the past.

My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Chapter-Master

I'm oddly feeling the same about it as Mr Mystery, which is weird because I'm usually a debbie downer. Its not just the Eldar codex that I'm incredibly happy with, its the fact that there are Harlequins, and Ad mech, and soon to be about a half a dozen more "little" factions that will spice up what people show up to the LGS with. Its all a great adventure. I'm happy that GW isn't letting old rules rot on the vine for more than a couple years - and that we can all look forwards to releases for our favorite armies regularly now.

I think the people that don't like 40k right now can't handle change. Their ant hill is getting stomped on right now because they can't "keep up" with the latest and greatest trends anymore due to the pace of releases. I actually think this is a good thing. It will weed out the people in the community who only care about winning and focus more onto the people who truly enjoy the game for what it is - a game with incredibly interesting factions and fluff that you can re-enact on the table top with a buddy over a beer (or three).
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Chapter-Master

I am liking the variety and the depth of the game - it is an infinite sandbox. But I don't like the 'mystery' aspect of the release schedule - even though I understand it is either/or the newline cinema confidentiality /apple marketing to generate flash sales figures on release / to stop CHS leeches - I am an adult. i like to plan, budget, be aware of stuff.

Yes I bought codex knights 2 weeks back. I will have played exactly 2 games with it.

If GW let me plan in advance, I would drop more money because I would save it rather than drink it and give GW the change.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Allow me to counter some things.

1. I have no problem with change. However, when I'm required to change my entire army at the expense of hundreds of dollars, that becomes a problem, yes.

2. One of my biggest problems is that there are so many units that right now feel like they do absolutely nothing, or at least so little that it feels like they might as well not be there. Like Space Marine Tactical Squads, which I love for the fluff, but bolters bounce off a lot of monstrous creatures, do nothing to tanks, and don't do much to slow down something like Thunderwolf Cavalry, who only need about three guys to mulch through four Tactical Squads (only a *slight* exaggeration). Heck, a lot of times it comes down to rock-paper-scissors army selection, and if I wants to play RPS, I could do that without spending 4-5 hours.

3. A new codex every couple of years might not be so bad if they weren't $50 base. If Orks get an update in a couple of years, here's what becomes obsolete:
    Codex $50
    Waaagh! Ghazghkull $50
    White Dwarf (21?) $4
    Red Waaagh! Ork formations $50
    Hour of the Wolf formations $50
    Stormclaw character
    Let's be generous and leave out the campaign books and say, "Hey, you can still use them for Planetstrike" (oh, except that's available as a $17 download). Still over $100 of rules gone after just two years. Which is what Eldar players went through. And Knight players are already paying $41 more for a new codex. And the core rulebook is $85. Pulling $50 or more out of us every couple of years is not cool. Also, the more factions they release, the harder it'll be to redo the rules that fast. There's nearly 20 factions/subfactions already, not counting digital stuff or upcoming stuff, and not even taking into account supplements like Waaagh! Ghazghkull or Champions of Fenris. Toss in Genestealer Cults, full AdMech, make a Sisters codex, a Deathwatch codex, an Inquisition codex, before you even consider the idea of stuff like Tzeentch Daemonkin, and you're about to hit 24 factions, which will mean that on a two year "refresh" cycle it's at least one 40K army per month getting a new codex, something that can't be feasible if Warhammer gets relaunched successfully. And at some point, that'll become very unprofitable for GW, because it'll drive players to give up buying the books and they'll just "borrow" them more often, leaving GW not just with a lot of unsold books (which get destroyed), but also new books that aren't selling.

4. New factions are nice, and it's good to see some classic stuff come back, but some of it concerns me. The Harlequins were okay. The Mechanicus, though, feels like they're going to release three books when one would suffice: two sub-factions and then the core combined faction, drawing out the releases and rules to get as much from people as possible. That concern makes me think I might want to avoid them for now. It's also rough when they're packing things so close together. Harlequins barely had time to be in the spotlight before Daemonkin came along, and then they were quickly forgotten for Skitarii, who were dropped from conversation with the Eldar bringing all manner of madness to the table, and we're about to just toss them aside from collective conscious for the Knights and then the Cult Mechanicus, and then that'll be forgotten for whatever comes next... It feels like there's not enough time for a player to really appreciate a new release before the next big thing comes in and grabs the spotlight, and then passes it off quickly.

I'm trying not to be a "debbie downer," just providing counter-points to the points made, things that people might not consider in their bliss.

Though I do admit that I was stung by the claim that those of us not enjoying the game just dislike change. Aside from feeling like it's an attempt to paint those who disagree in a negative light, it's also incredibly wrong for a lot of us. One of my issues is that, as someone who isn't good with doing the same thing too much and thus has a number of armies (thanks to the passage of time and also inheriting my dad's armies), it's hard to keep up with the updates for the armies I already have, and I like to switch between them.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    Allow me to counter some things.

1. I have no problem with change. However, when I'm required to change my entire army at the expense of hundreds of dollars, that becomes a problem, yes.
    I don't get this mentality. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and telling you that you have to "change" your entire army. Every couple of years you'll need to buy a new book (or eBook - which can be found online for free fwiw) but nobody is causing you to buy anything or change anything.

2. One of my biggest problems is that there are so many units that right now feel like they do absolutely nothing, or at least so little that it feels like they might as well not be there. Like Space Marine Tactical Squads, which I love for the fluff, but bolters bounce off a lot of monstrous creatures, do nothing to tanks, and don't do much to slow down something like Thunderwolf Cavalry, who only need about three guys to mulch through four Tactical Squads (only a *slight* exaggeration). Heck, a lot of times it comes down to rock-paper-scissors army selection, and if I wants to play RPS, I could do that without spending 4-5 hours.
    I feel you - as an Eldar player I just got a book where no units are worthless - except maybe storm guardians. Every unit in there is fun, fluffy and interesting. I want to use ALL of my models now. I really hope that the rules that follow give the players the same feeling of fulfillment.

3. A new codex every couple of years might not be so bad if they weren't $50 base. If Orks get an update in a couple of years, here's what becomes obsolete:
    Codex $50
    Waaagh! Ghazghkull $50
    White Dwarf (21?) $4
    Red Waaagh! Ork formations $50
    Hour of the Wolf formations $50
    Stormclaw character
    Let's be generous and leave out the campaign books and say, "Hey, you can still use them for Planetstrike" (oh, except that's available as a $17 download). Still over $100 of rules gone after just two years. Which is what Eldar players went through. And Knight players are already paying $41 more for a new codex. And the core rulebook is $85. Pulling $50 or more out of us every couple of years is not cool. Also, the more factions they release, the harder it'll be to redo the rules that fast. There's nearly 20 factions/subfactions already, not counting digital stuff or upcoming stuff, and not even taking into account supplements like Waaagh! Ghazghkull or Champions of Fenris. Toss in Genestealer Cults, full AdMech, make a Sisters codex, a Deathwatch codex, an Inquisition codex, before you even consider the idea of stuff like Tzeentch Daemonkin, and you're about to hit 24 factions, which will mean that on a two year "refresh" cycle it's at least one 40K army per month getting a new codex, something that can't be feasible if Warhammer gets relaunched successfully. And at some point, that'll become very unprofitable for GW, because it'll drive players to give up buying the books and they'll just "borrow" them more often, leaving GW not just with a lot of unsold books (which get destroyed), but also new books that aren't selling.
    I don't really feel the need to buy every single rule that comes out for every faction I own. For example, I have a ton of Blood Angels... probably over 15,000 points of them at this point. I don't own exterminatus. Never saw the need. I own the codex and thats it. Not sure why people feel the need to own rules that they'll never use - and I especially don't get the need for people to own rules for factions they don't even play. I understand the collector aspect of it all too - but thats not limited to time. Meaning, if you're a collector of the books, thats great, but don't complain to me that you feel forced to buy the books because you like collecting them... you can buy them at your own pace.

4. New factions are nice, and it's good to see some classic stuff come back, but some of it concerns me. The Harlequins were okay. The Mechanicus, though, feels like they're going to release three books when one would suffice: two sub-factions and then the core combined faction, drawing out the releases and rules to get as much from people as possible. That concern makes me think I might want to avoid them for now. It's also rough when they're packing things so close together. Harlequins barely had time to be in the spotlight before Daemonkin came along, and then they were quickly forgotten for Skitarii, who were dropped from conversation with the Eldar bringing all manner of madness to the table, and we're about to just toss them aside from collective conscious for the Knights and then the Cult Mechanicus, and then that'll be forgotten for whatever comes next... It feels like there's not enough time for a player to really appreciate a new release before the next big thing comes in and grabs the spotlight, and then passes it off quickly.
    I'll certainly take the current release cycle as opposed to the way it *used* to be. It used to be YEARS between when I would pick new stuff up - it keeps things from getting stale in the game. I loathe the 3 month wait times between 40k releases as it created a void in interest for me in 40k excitement.

I'm trying not to be a "debbie downer," just providing counter-points to the points made, things that people might not consider in their bliss.

Though I do admit that I was stung by the claim that those of us not enjoying the game just dislike change. Aside from feeling like it's an attempt to paint those who disagree in a negative light, it's also incredibly wrong for a lot of us. One of my issues is that, as someone who isn't good with doing the same thing too much and thus has a number of armies (thanks to the passage of time and also inheriting my dad's armies), it's hard to keep up with the updates for the armies I already have, and I like to switch between them.
    I'm sorry that you were stung. If it makes you feel any better, I hate change in my life outside of 40k. Its tough to plan for and even tougher to embrace. I'm currently freaking the hell out that in 3 months time, I don't know where in the world I'll be living, or if my spouse will have a job. I'm trying to keep reasonable about it but just the prospect of my life *changing* has me thoroughly uncomfortable. I hate it, I'm losing sleep and my health is suffering over it (my eyes have started bleeding again, for which I'm having lascannons blast my retinas later this afternoon to fix).

However, this change in 40k is welcome to me and I only embrace it because its creating a richer, more diverse wargaming environment that I'm particularly enjoying - even before my primary faction was updated.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast