BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    First-Captain

"Oh look a thread about people talking about how positive they feel about their hobby and favourite game, best do a great big smelly **** all over that"

First-Captain

Also, the rules for green tide says they must be deployed as one full unit, throw in another detachment of boyz and a painboy, painboy joins the Green Tide and you have over 300 wounds at T4 with a 5+ FNP, swarm the board and use it to restrict an opponents maneuverability.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    3. GW is the Shaitan and drank the blood of my firstborn, made my crops die and my cattle miscarry.
    I think I did see a reference to Games Workshop in Leviticus somewhere... Right behind D&D, even.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    That's pretty mature and spot on. My point was not that diversity is bad. It was more that there is a vocal (hopefully) minority who come onto 40K forums or posts about 40K purely to say a mix of 1 or more of these things:

1. I got out (what like you're a beaten spouse who needs credit for finally going).

2. I am saving 1 million dollars a year (well done Richard Branson).

3. GW is the Shaitan and drank the blood of my firstborn, made my crops die and my cattle miscarry.

4. My new ruleset is tighter than a Nun's Chuff and is moar funner than a happy ending in the Playboy Mansion.

Now I look at the frontpage comments on other games from time to time. I have never seen a GW fanboy apologist crayon over those. On the other hand, I have repeatedly seen what I describe above.
    I see that a lot as well. Often times its people trying to recruit others out of GW games and to the game system of their choice. Some will even admit as such. A couple of days ago in one of the comment threads there was a guy who said that it was his personal mission to bankrupt GW and promote every other game and would do so at every opportunity. Those things are fairly common if you read forums on a daily basis.

First-Captain

People (nerds) get too obsessed when the confuse a business decision they don't agree with and a personal slight. Its not your job to care if GW make a poor business decision (unless you're a share holder), its your job to either buy or not buy its products, thats the only part you have to play. You can decide not to buy the products because of a business decision they've made, but the arrogance of assuming that thinking that you as a fan of a wargame knows better is stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Auticus View Post
    I see that a lot as well. Often times its people trying to recruit others out of GW games and to the game system of their choice. Some will even admit as such. A couple of days ago in one of the comment threads there was a guy who said that it was his personal mission to bankrupt GW and promote every other game and would do so at every opportunity. Those things are fairly common if you read forums on a daily basis.
    Odd. It's my personal mission to make as much money as I possibly can through legal means, and then wazz that munneh up the wall on whatever I damned well please.

Perhaps said contributor ought to try getting a job?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

First-Captain

He'd probably a lot less butthurt about the prices if he did

Chapter-Master

40k is better than ever, so many awesome armies that can be fielded, loving it.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Veteran-Sergeant

I think 40k as a whole has gotten much better, although I miss a lot of the cool stuff 5th had as far as the assault phase goes, 7th edition has been fantastic. Maelstrom is pretty much all we play now with the occasional eternal crusade. I've already played more games in 7th than all of 6th combined.

I've also recruited several old guard back into the game, and they have told me how much they love the new edition and the ability to make some amazingly fun unbound and allied lists.

I do feel for my tournament friends, and listen to them lament every once in a while about 5th edition and how close it was the closest to being great for the competitive scene. But honestly alot of us now talk about all the new shinies, and how every turn matters and not just move shoot and camp until last turn where you then turbo boost claim/contest abstract objective 2, to win/draw the game, which is boring, and never really held my interest in a 3-4 hour game.

Not only that but I don't feel like I have to take a ton of troop choices unless I just want to have extra objective secured. And to be honest, I'm still having a hard time pulling away from the old FOC. Even though everything scores, I just can't not include troops! To me the best thing about the troops selection now, is they don't feel like as much of a tax anymore!

And while on that note, let's talk about scoring. How amazing tactical objectives are is fantastic for the game. I relate it to sports, low scoring games aren't sexy these days, scoring is great because it adds an additional level of excitement to the game, we've seen it in American football lately, as offenses accelerate it brings more of the common john into the mix where before they wouldn't be so inclined to watch, in this case partake in a game.

It is much cooler having a 3-4 hour beer and shop talk feel and being able to look down at your note pad and see a score of 11-7 7-6 or even 25-18 than 2-2, 2-1 or 3-1.

Just my opinion.
    Last edited by Dont-Be-Haten; 05-01-2015 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Auticus View Post
    That's a horrible approach to take. Better to introduce people to other games in a positive way. I'd do it just because I think some other games are cool and variety is good, especially as I do like playing skirmish-level games and 40K's running as far from that as possible. The correct approach would be to show people other games in a positive way, and if they like the game, that game will get some of their money, which is less money going to GW, which could prompt GW (if enough people do it) to change something. Sadly, they probably don't have the presence of mind to see a trend like that and think, "Hmm, people are leaving our games to go to skirmish-level games. Perhaps we should put out a skirmish set of rules that we can sell using our existing models to compete with these other games and bring back the wandering players."

Bankrupting them ain't gonna happen. And taking that negative approach then causes people to view the game(s) you're trying to promote in a negative way... and it all goes downhill from there.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567