BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lexington View Post
    Maybe some, but definitely not the whole - the biggest problem with this miniature is the dramatically twirling cape vs. the completely static tabard. It's a pretty confused mini.
    Yes the cape is confused and looks like someone had to make the mini look bigger than the current Lib terminator to justify the new price tag. Although who knows it maybe limited to a box set campaign. I think the biggest problem is it's plastic, Every plastic model is a compromise. Plastic is great for rank and file but just doesn't do command justic. I'm tempted to pick up one of the old ones incase it gets withdrawn. It was a great sculpt, although it does look a bit small now.
    Rogue Trader since 1991.

Quote Originally Posted by jonsgot View Post
    Yes the cape is confused and looks like someone had to make the mini look bigger than the current Lib terminator to justify the new price tag. Although who knows it maybe limited to a box set campaign. I think the biggest problem is it's plastic, Every plastic model is a compromise. Plastic is great for rank and file but just doesn't do command justic. I'm tempted to pick up one of the old ones incase it gets withdrawn. It was a great sculpt, although it does look a bit small now.
    Plastic *could* do command justice. They can do beautiful models with plastic, and they can do multiple options and stuff, but lately they seem to be phoning it in a lot, going with static poses, maybe a single hand swap if anything, and that's it. At the same time, this guy's going to cost about 33% more than the current Terminator Librarian who looks very similar except in a more interesting pose and with more detail (and finer detail, at that), made from a more expensive material. For people saying GW hasn't been doing price increases, they've been missing things like that.

And then there's the Chaos Terminator Lord/Sorceror, plenty of options, made of plastic, more posing options, costs less. Because... reasons?

Silly question sort of semi-related:

Does anyone know what happens to the e-book versions of the codices? Are the old ones still available in your personal libraries, or, are the deleted and you have to buy the new one?

Just pondering as I have the SM and DA ones on the ipad and will probably get the ebook versions of the new ones.

I'm surprised GW hasn't clam-packed the terminator captain from Strike Force Ultra and the chaplain from the Reclusiarch Command squad for this release.

Hints for the week after the Devs (WD Issue 72) are:
    - Utilizing the Empyrean (translated from german)
    - Space Marines
    - 'Eavy Metal

Age of Sigmar Preorder starts 4th of July.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Timotheus View Post
    Hints for the week after the Devs (WD Issue 72) are:
    - Space Marines
    - 'Eavy Metal

Age of Sigmar Preorder starts 4th of July.
    "Utilizing the Empyrean" sounds like a nice hint to a psyker of some sort. AKA, the Librarian we've seen.

"Space Marines" is pretty obviously pointing to a continued release of our boys in blue...er...green...er...red...er...you get the point.

Not sure what 'Eavy Metal is supposed to be a teaser for. Perhaps a new "How to Paint" book? Though there has been no rumors if the sort... Maybe its just an article in the issue.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Timotheus View Post
    Maybe a hint at Thousand Sons or Tzeentch Daemonkin?
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    Plastic *could* do command justice. They can do beautiful models with plastic, and they can do multiple options and stuff, but lately they seem to be phoning it in a lot, going with static poses, maybe a single hand swap if anything, and that's it. At the same time, this guy's going to cost about 33% more than the current Terminator Librarian who looks very similar except in a more interesting pose and with more detail (and finer detail, at that), made from a more expensive material. For people saying GW hasn't been doing price increases, they've been missing things like that.

And then there's the Chaos Terminator Lord/Sorceror, plenty of options, made of plastic, more posing options, costs less. Because... reasons?
    They can do beautiful models in plastic, but technically speaking resin and metal can provide finer, sharper and more complex detail than plastic is able to. This is due to the ability of rubber moulds to bend. GW could provide just as many options in resin. The advantage of plastic is consistant quality, lower mould operating costs and longer mould life.

I actually prefer GW's current price structure, they set a price when a model get releases and then replace the model with a more expensive version in the future. I agree this makes some products prices look dumb, e.g hunter tank vs land raider, but I absolutly hated it when they would add 20% to something just because the price hadn't been increased in a while. Almost as much as spending £35 on a codex, and then finding out it's being withdrawn 4 months later.

I hope the "new" content in this codex Justifies the new book. The rest of the release looks very exciting
    Rogue Trader since 1991.

First-Captain

90% of hobbyists I've seen are **** at doing posing on kits and make them look like arse, set poses for heroes and rare units keeps the costs of the molds down ensures that people are making amazing, layered interesting models and allows them to really push the boat out with the scultping. Look at the recent Tech Priest Dominus, the best model in the Mechanicum range and probably one of the most well done and evocative sculpts GW has ever done, wait until you start seeing some world class painters having a crack at it and you'l see that. The only people i've seen complain about the single pose (with options that most other companies do't offer) models all paint like they use their thumbs as a brush and so obviously can't appreciate a well sculpted model, so its easy to just ignore them.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    90% of hobbyists I've seen are **** at doing posing on kits and make them look like arse, set poses for heroes and rare units keeps the costs of the molds down ensures that people are making amazing, layered interesting models and allows them to really push the boat out with the scultping. Look at the recent Tech Priest Dominus, the best model in the Mechanicum range and probably one of the most well done and evocative sculpts GW has ever done, wait until you start seeing some world class painters having a crack at it and you'l see that. The only people i've seen complain about the single pose (with options that most other companies do't offer) models all paint like they use their thumbs as a brush and so obviously can't appreciate a well sculpted model, so its easy to just ignore them.
    The main problem with your statement is that the single-pose models are significantly more expensive then their more pose-able counterparts, so if the molds cost less, then the prices aren't showing it. I agree, all their single-pose models are fantastically sculpted, especially the Dominus. However, the Librarian is a but funky looking...no doubt about that; his tabard isn't flowing like his cape, and his face looks flat. How can one not complain about that? I mean, not all GW models are anatomically correct, or follow the laws of physics...but those are some obvious flaws on an otherwise fantastic model.

Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast