BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Confused by the Formation Rules.

So im trying to build an Eldar Army, and im looking at the formations available but something is confusing me.

To allow me to take a formation (and the additional rules they get) do i HAVE to take one of the guardian formations or can i take a normal style list, and add 'formations'? Is the 'everything in correct formations' rule only apply to the army-wide 6" Run rule?

If for example i pick...

SpiritSeer
    3x5 Wind Riders
    3x5 Wraithguard in Serpents
    3x Crimson Hunter
    Wraith Lord
    Wraith Knight

...do i get the rules for Crimson Death and Wraith Host, but not gain the 6" run rule because my Core isnt a specific Formation or do i get no special rules as im essentially playing unbound?

Banned

Formations are detachments all on their own and do not require anything but the dataslate and the models they list to be fielded. The units inside them cannot be fielded in another detachment of any kind.

BUT, the Decurion and Warhost Detachments are made up of Formations, sort of. The Formations are not actually used themselves inside these Detachments, the Formations are just used to define how these Detachments are constructed (remember, a unit can only belong to ONE detachment at a time) and still keep those Special Rules they list.

So, I do not have the Craftworld codex so I cannot address the specific list, but if you have the units to make a Core Formation of a Warhost and something to fill an Auxiliary slot, then the units gain the Special Rules of the Formations used as well as possibly gaining the Command Benefits of the Warhost so long as any other units are also able to fill in a detachment for Battle-Forged.

Your units in the formations get their specific formation bonuses, but as the Windriders are not part of a formation or detachment, your army is unbound, so some people might not play against it. As you have no Core Formation, you do not get the 'always 6 for run moves' bonus for the Craftworld Host, but your other bonuses from the detachments' own datasheets stay.

You could add another HQ and put the Windriders and that HQ in a Combined Arms Detachment, so the Windriders would be objective secured.

Formations are effectively stand alone detachments, you cannot select the units that comprise a formation as part of a CAD and then apply the formation bonuses to them. The list you posted above can be run either as a battle forged CAD featuring only the bonuses from running a combined arms detachment, or as an unbound list with two formations, with the units in those formations gaining the benefits from being in those particular formations.

Edit: You could also run a CAD with the Crimson hunters being run as a Crimson Death formation as well.
    Last edited by David Crossley; 05-07-2015 at 03:13 AM.

First-Captain

You could use the Combined Arms Detachment for the spiritseer and wind riders as HQ and Troops then the Wraithhost and Crimson Hunter formations and yes, you'd gain those special rules

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    You could use the Combined Arms Detachment for the spiritseer and wind riders as HQ and Troops then the Wraithhost and Crimson Hunter formations and yes, you'd gain those special rules
    Actually not quite, the Spiritseer is part of the Wraithhost.

So you could run:
    Wraithhost:
    -SpiritSeer
    -3x5 Wraithguard in Serpents
    -Wraith Lord
    -Wraith Knight
    Crimson Death
    -3x Crimson Hunter

But then to take a CAD alongside it you'd need to find the points for an HQ to go alongside the troops choice Wind riders (whilst keeping a minimum of 2 squads) - The cheapest option would be a 1 model Warlock conclave, who if on foot could join a wraith squad in their capacity 12 Serpent, or for the loss of another bike get a Jetbike himself to join one of those squads.

Then you would get the rules bonuses for the Wraith Host & Crimson Death formation along with ObSec Wind Riders, neat isn't it.

who if on foot could join a wraith squad in their capacity 12 Serpent, or for the loss of another bike get a Jetbike himself to join one of those squads.
    Warlocks from the conclave are no independent characters, they cannot join other units.

Oh, I hadn't spotted that, that sucks.

Ok starting to get my head around it. TBH this is all just examples. I am planning on running the Crimson Death but i cant fit that, and a Wraith Host into most points limits, i was just trying to work out if its possible etc.

As i intend to run (roughly)

Autarch
    3x 5 Wind Riders
    2x 5 Wraithguard in Serpents
    Wraithknight (or another unit of Guard)
    Crimson Death

So what im understanding is i would used the CAD Rules to create the body of my list and throw in a Crimson Death as a detatchment?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonikgav View Post
    So what im understanding is i would used the CAD Rules to create the body of my list and throw in a Crimson Death as a detatchment?
    Yes, And then you'd get ObSec on the troops choices (assuming the base HQ and 2 Troops org, not sure if there are alternates I've missed) and the Crimson Death bonuses, but you won't get the auto 6" run from the Battle host.

And yes it's confusing. Just cherish this time that all your options are in one book, because it will get more complex...