BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chaos Dragon

Default Chaos Dragon

I am thinking about taking a chaos dragon in my 2k army for adepticon. I've been told hes too many points for 2k and that a well placed cannon can kill him. The latter of the last sentence is very unlikely but it could happen. So i was wondering if i should take him or leave him at home.

Goodbye
    Last edited by Aldramelech; 03-18-2010 at 04:16 AM.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Veteran-Sergeant

Best place for a dragon is under a caster lord I think. Keep him out of trouble, get your spells off, and maybe bring him our turn 5 or 6 and kill something. Most people play too aggressively and get their Dragon blown up.
    http://drinkinandmodelin.blogspot.com// - A WHFB Gnoblog

Thats a lot of points wasted on a caster lord when a disc will do the same job.

Veteran-Sergeant

How is it "wasted" ?? It's called points denial ...
    http://drinkinandmodelin.blogspot.com// - A WHFB Gnoblog

I agree with Aldramech. Dragons are awesome, and you should play them.

Now, sure. If it was just a terrible unit, I would advise you not play it, because being awesome can only make up for some portion of the fun you lose when you get wrecked because you're playing a bad army.

The Dragon is not that bad. It can even, sometimes, be quite good. Most of the time, it's somewhere in the middle, giving your Wizard Lord (I presume that's what you're planning to put on it, 'cause you certainly should be) good mobility, some extra protection, and a little extra punch in combat (not to mention allowing him to break ranks with a side or rear charge--something which can be very valuable, especially for Chaos).

Plus, it brings a couple of guns. They're not great guns, but, given that it's usually just depositing the Lord somewhere where he can shoot spells at the enemy, bringing those two breath weapons along is nothing to scoff at.

Play the Dragon. You (almost certainly) won't regret it. They're super fun.

(Until you play against a Bloodthirster that'll hunts your poor little dragon down and use it for a toothpick)

(or a beasts caster that stops it from moving--another good reason to pack in those casters).

Battle-Brother

Bring it, use it to get your big nasty caster into flickering fire range and devestate infantry blocks.

It should be noted that a single empire cannon shot killing your dragon isn't all that unlikely. All it takes is a good guess them a 2+ and a 6 and down goes frasure. Even if one shot doesn't kill you any empire player will have probably 2 great cannons and a steam tank cannon. So you just have to be careful with how you use the dragon against people who can bring the heavy artillery. Consider giving your wizard lord the 3+ ward so that when shooting attack randomize to him you feel comfortable.

If you understand the risk and you know how to fix any problems that might come up ( anything can happen) then go for it.

either way I say go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Randroid View Post
    How is it "wasted" ?? It's called points denial ...
    That’s a rubbish reason, it's your not going to use it to kill stuff better to put him on a disk and spend the points for the dragon on knights that will go and kill stuff.

Chaos armies are small enough as it is the last thing you want to be doing is sinking so much points into something just to deny them to your enemy. that’s the equivalent of cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Waltz is right, if the dragon isn't fighting it's wasting it's points.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast