BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Nova powers can be used in Close combat it is a nova not a witchfire type

A nova power automatically targets and hits all enemy units (including flyers and flying monstrous creatures) within the psychic power's maximum range, regardless of line of sight, being locked in combat, intervening models/terrain and so on Otherwise, a nova is treated like a shooting attack, and indeed will have a profile like a ranged weapon. Only one unit that is within the power's maximum range can attempt to deny the witch.

Now I read the category of witchfire and most of the stuff in nova make the rules to witchfire contradicted for one it said the target point as for nova they auto hit regardless of line of sight, being locked in combat, intervening models/terrain and so on Otherwise also at the bottom it said use the rules for the subtype if it has it in its profile so the power sunburst clearly state's its a Nova not a witchfire so you would follow the nova sub-type category rather then the witchfire rule.

So basically sub-type (nova) > main type (witchfire)

Now where it says treat it like a shooting attack its just stating use the rules as you would when shooting basically like how a flame template works because it automatically hits.

Also think of it this way with say wizards that cast nova's in films or games they are always in the thick of the battle when they cast a nova power also the factor most nova ability's are 6" range.
    Last edited by Xaric; 05-08-2015 at 02:37 PM.
    Those who judge without reason are no better then the things they judge.

Uh, Novas are a subtype of Witchfire. That means that they are Witchfires. So you cannot "shoot" them when YOU are engaged in CC, because you cannot shoot weapons in CC that do not have the CC weapon type.

What it means when it says "regardless of being in close combat" is that if you go next to a unit that is locked in assault and fire a Nova, that unit can be hit by the Nova even though you normally can't target units locked in assault.

It's a type of Witchfire, doesn't matter that Nova powers have different rules for how they're resolved, they're Witchfires, thus cannot be cast by a unit locked in close combat. The targeting of units in close combat is nice though.

Molten Beam is a beam, so can psykers cast that out of close combat? I don't think so, again, it's a type of Witchfire as described in the psychic power rules. Just because the power description itself doesn't spell out Witchfire/Beam doesn't mean we can ignore other pages full of paragraphs.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

all Nova's are witchfire

Not all witchfires are Nova.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Krungharr View Post
    It's a type of Witchfire, doesn't matter that Nova powers have different rules for how they're resolved, they're Witchfires, thus cannot be cast by a unit locked in close combat. The targeting of units in close combat is nice though.

Molten Beam is a beam, so can psykers cast that out of close combat? I don't think so, again, it's a type of Witchfire as described in the psychic power rules. Just because the power description itself doesn't spell out Witchfire/Beam doesn't mean we can ignore other pages full of paragraphs.
    It clearly states it cant be used in combat as it said cannot be drawn over any unit that is locked in combat.

at the bottom of page 27

There are several different sub-types of witchfire each applying slightly different targeting restrictions. if the witchfire does not list a sub-type, or simply describes itself as a psychic shooting attack, use the rules given above to resolve it.

That clearly meens follow the 2 paragraph's in witchfire about it

If it has one of the following subtypes, use the rules for that sub-type.

Clearly stating if it comes with that sub-type use that sub-types rule.

Nova in bold A nova power automatically targets and hits all enemy units within the psychic power's maximum range the part where it said "treat Like a shooting attack" means wound allocations as killing in cc is done differently then killing at range you take the models closet away from the one using the power.

Also where does it state you cant use the ability wile manifesting it the olny restriction it clearly saids in manifesting powers page 24 is about how you cant use the same power in the same unit more then once.

Also Blessings and malediction have 1 type so no need for subtypes wile witchfire has 4 subtypes there is a similar thing that they have done this before.

The big rule book is always trumped by the codex when two rules conflict it looks to say that the same applies here the core type is trumped by the sub-type

Now looking to the other subtypes beam clearly states cant be drawn over anyone locked in combat so if your locked in combat then you would not be able to use it wile in combat because you would be braking that rule. Focussed witchfire clearly said they follow all the normal rules for witchfire stating follow the two paragraph's from the witchfire part but Nova power has no mentioning of following the witchfire rule but it does clearly state its restrictions and what is allowed.

Chapter-Master

Novas are a type of witchfire. Witchfires cannot be used in combat. End of story, no matter how much you want to try and weasel around that.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Novas are a type of witchfire. Witchfires cannot be used in combat. End of story, no matter how much you want to try and weasel around that.
    well the rule for nova saids otherwise no one is trying and weasel around anything I am just stating that this set of guidelines clearly stated in the book that it contradicts a part of rules given over its own type and it does clearly state regardless of line of site, being locked in combat intervening models/terrain and so on.

Or you would have to disallow the use of these powers because they would go against some if not all the rules in the two paragraph's under witchfire as I said before anything with a range attached to it is normally a shooting attack because you cant really class a melee attack if you throw a weapon can you.

Also it clearly states on the bottom paragraph page 27 There are several different sub-types of witchfire each applying slightly different targeting restrictions. If the witchfire does not list a sub-type, or simply describes itself as a psychic shooting attack use the rules given above to resolve it. If it has one of the following subtypes, use the rules for that sub-type

It clearly said in black and white if it has a sub-type use those rules meaning the rules in the witchfire part is if there is uncertainty just like how power weapons work if it is a power weapon without a weapon type

You really need to stop
    1) thinking this is the older editions this is 7th edition the new rules are now the main rules and all the old rules that they used to be are obsolete and no long valid for warhammer 40k in this edition unless they remain unchanged in the 7th edition rule book.
    2) stop claiming that others are as you put it trying to bend the rules to there favour by saying "try and weasel around that" its childish when the information is there many things got changed in 7th edition in the special rule section I still get people claiming my nurgle daemons cant use defensive grenades because its not in there wargear but it clearly said in the rule book they are classed as having defensive grenades as to the new means that they can now throw it. This is because somehow people believed that if its not on the wargear it does not count as it can take those rules.
    Last edited by Xaric; 05-09-2015 at 01:39 AM.

Chaplain

Our logic is worthless against his spurious arguments and rambling walls of text! Flee for your lives!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bubonicus View Post
    Our logic is worthless against his spurious arguments and rambling walls of text! Flee for your lives!
    Your logic? all I see is childish criticism with zero evidence of what you say... at least the wall of text I provide has evidence that nova's do not follow the witchfire parts rules but rather its own set of guidelines but sure if you wish to play the game your own way be my guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast