BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default No success with IG

Hi, i play IG for maybe 2 years now and even with the new codex that is supposed to help a lot, i still cant find a way to win. I still enjoy the game for what it is, a good moment with friends but a win from time to time would be fun.

I've read a lot on tactics, i tried mechanized, lot of infantry etc. but no success yet. And most of the time, not even close. Am i missing something or am i just a bad player...

Most of the time i play against SM, Eldar, Necrons, Ork and Tau.

Any help from IG veterans is welcome.

Brother-Sergeant

Well I'm not a veteran IG player, but I would like to help. Can we have a look at your list for starters?

Quote Originally Posted by The Plastic Surgeon View Post
    Well I'm not a veteran IG player, but I would like to help. Can we have a look at your list for starters?
    Seconded. The first part of advice is knowing what to give.

Brother-Captain

Also, what sort of armies do your regular opponents run?

Typical board size, terrain set ups, and missions played would be helpful too.

Generally, IG are all about the dakka. With a mech list, you bring lots of armor, lots of shots, lots of pie plates, lots of flamers, and lots of melta.

Brother-Sergeant

What Chumbalaya said and also HEAVY WEAPONS! IG need HEAVY WEAPONS! I've been quite surprised by the number of times I've seen IG without heavy weapons who get shot to pieces and can't return effective fire.

I don't know that I fully agree with the heavy weapons thing. I would say that heavies are a must if you are going with an infantry-heavy list, at which point the heavy weapons teams are a total must, but with my list, I substitute Veterans in Chimeras/Valkyries for standard infantry, and just go with lots of special weapons and the occasional demo charge in lieu of heavies. I guess it wouldn't be a bad thing to throw heavies in there too...I just find them to be wasted points in an army as mobile as mine.

Brother-Sergeant

First off, there is nothing wrong with being a bad player & there is nothing wrong with losing. Most people are bad players to begin with, and many people go through long losing streaks.

The big questions are....
    Do you feel like you're becoming a better player each time you play?
    Do you learn something from each defeat?
    Do you keep making the same mistakes?

I didn't win a single game the first 10 times I played 40K, but I always got a little better with each defeat because learned from the experience. One of the most important things to do after losing a battle is to talk with your opponent about it. Ask them what they feel about the game. Did they notice any major mistakes you made? When did they know they had the game? Things like that.

While you can come here and get critical analysis of your army list (which is important for optimizing your army) & how to best play it in general, it's harder for to give more overall general tactical. Things like board set-up, deployment, what to keep in reserve, etc....tend to be things we learn from experience. Sometimes those types of things are harder to recoginize and learn than armylist optimization.

Veteran-Sergeant

Its all a learning experience

Do you know the rules inside out? Are you perhaps missing out on key elements that could be used to your advantage?

As a guard player i would say stay away from assault

Are you using reserves?

Over the years i have seen the game evolve a little and each time its changed, the game system has become more complex... with each evolution of a new edition comes different stratergies of playing. Try to understand the game a bit better if you can.

Also think about what makes IG strong? What is working for everyone else around here? feed of other people success stories

Since you havnt posted a list im going to assume perhaps your army is not that large???

IF so take it one step at a time. Devise what you really need for your list not just what you have. If you dont have much money play smaller games but only buy things that are beneficial to your army

Dont stress mate theres plenty of time to hone ur skills

I learn, i make less and less mistakes each game and surely becoming a better player each time but its taking so much longer than i expected...

In list optimization, i think i am not that bad, ive read a lot and im not disapointed with my list except that i always have the feeling that i am missing a key element.

Last time i played, it was 1500 pts against SM

CCS 4 plas & PF
    PCS PF & 2 plas & 1 las
    Squad Las / plas
    squad las / plas
    vet 3 melta
    3 vendetta
    LR executioner
    2 medusa with BBS

in more regular games, i tend for

CCS 4 flamer, PF, astropath in chimera
    PBS in chimera
    Rambo
    PCS 4 flamers, PF
    3 squad AC & GL
    vet 3 melta & bastonne
    valk MRP
    hellhoud
    LRBT
    LRBT
    LR demo

not sure of points but its about that...

thanks!

Veteran-Sergeant

I guess I have a little different take, I want troops, troops, troops. I make my CC a static unit. His job is to give orders, improve morale, and use superior BS to kill hard targets. My 1st platoon is my mobile element, PC sqd armed with meltas and plasmas, a commissar to keep them going. 3 squads with plasmas and a Spc wpn squad with meltas. 2 minumum squads of storm troopers to be a pain in the *** and take objectives. A sencond platoon which is my gun line PC with lascannon, 2 squads with missles and grenades. 5 ratlings snipers to disrupt movement. 3 sct sentinels with multillasers to flank. and finally 2 sqdrs of Russ's. 1st one MBT and a vanquisher with plasma / lasC. 2nd Sqdr MBT and Executioner with plama / LasC. I use my first platoon to advance and engage. followed closely by the 2nd Sqdr of Russes. The 1st sqdr act like artillery swamping any enemy gunline. My 2nd platoon doesnt move and hold my objectives and shot all game. Any assaulting units are shotup by the advancers and then assaulted piecemeal. You will take heavy casualties, but their guard. kinda like doritos. will make more. Byt he way I recently added the plasmas on the Vanqushers as with the new rules if thiers no hvy armor against me its almost usless. But with the sponsons its great for killing Termies. fun to watch the dreads run and hide when its around. Well here's my thoughts, not always successful but i have a 70% win rate. Terrain and deployment are huge and no amount of list buliding will overcome poor deployment.
    Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. Armed Forces don't have that problem. R Regan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast