BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

by the way thats an 1850 list,
    Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. Armed Forces don't have that problem. R Regan

No chimera at all?

what kind of strategies you guys use? castle? movement?

im trying to understand what i am missing...
    Last edited by Lupin; 08-05-2009 at 10:29 AM.

Librarian

Default I Feel Your Pain

I suck with them too and I have been playing for years. I am more into the concept and the modelling than winning. My kid does well with them though and I notice that he takes more artillery than I do, so that is a thought.
    Last edited by Drunkencorgimaster; 08-13-2009 at 09:01 PM.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
    No chimera at all?

what kind of strategies you guys use? castle? movement?

im trying to understand what i am missing...
    To many points and i want to be shooting all the time. A chimera is about the same price as a squad and a lot more vunerable to hvy wpns. I freely admit i cant pull off a Mech guard army. Always end the same way burning vehicle and dead squads. I am using less sentinel the normal, but thats because of point increases more then anything else. But back to your question, my strategie is movement and drawing them into crossfire.
    Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. Armed Forces don't have that problem. R Regan

i think i always had trouble with lanes of fire, kind of "setup" problem... i think i may have to read again on deployment, any thoughts?

and since the 5th edition, almost never used the lasgun for some reason... they can do nothing or i have to move or they dont have the range or what happens the most, i get charged before i can use them efficiently.

and for the artillery... what do you think of squadrons?

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
    i think i always had trouble with lanes of fire, kind of "setup" problem... i think i may have to read again on deployment, any thoughts?

and since the 5th edition, almost never used the lasgun for some reason... they can do nothing or i have to move or they dont have the range or what happens the most, i get charged before i can use them efficiently.

and for the artillery... what do you think of squadrons?
    Well deployment is key. have to look for lanes of fire. Which way are they most likely to come at you. Also terrain is your friend. I like 8-10 pieces if I can get it. Lasguns suck, many times called flashlights. But with enough those flashlight can blind and burn. Rapid fire, plus spc wpns will kill a few than that squad gets eaten. the next squad takes out a few more and then they die. All the while your tanks and other heavy wpns are taking their toll as well. The key to me is numbers, you may have 6-7 squads and if their luck with the exception of orcs will have maybe half or less. Make them roll dice they can't roll 3+ forever. PLus alot of this is psychology, i've know a lot of marine /CM player that as they start tearing up yoou army lose sight of the mission. Yeah they killed half your army, but at games end you hold the objective and the win. IG used to be a underdog army. But not anymore, we are so spoiled for choises it almost scares me for what the next codexs will have..............

Brother-Sergeant

My first gut feeling of your list Lupin is that it has a LOT of toys and not enough troops. I whole heartedly agree with Majorcash, TROOPS TROOPS TROOPS! What have your Vendetta's been killing in your games? Your regular list seems a bit more balanced but I still think that you need more troops. Valks are nice but they require finesse to field properly.

How are you losing your games? Your troops getting wiped out? Not being able to hold objectives?

Veteran-Sergeant

one note, i played a game on sunday where i combined my 1st platoon in to one big mob. 3 squads, cmd and spc spn. they did ok . but they're super unwieldy. And I lost the whole unit to close cmbt, when I failed a morale test and then fail the Intiv test. Losing theat many troops in one go was devestating and I couldnt even pull a draw at that point.

Ok, so if i get this the simplest i can.

many troops and artillery, let the other toys aside for a while...

what do you do with your troops, half with big guns to stay and shoot and other half to go forward and try to slow down ennemies?

id take AC/GL for the gun lines and PW/plasma for the advancing troops.... what do you think?

didnt have much success with commissars yet...

Battle-Brother

You might want to remove heavy weapons from the infantry squads and change the special weapons out of the command squads, giving them ccw weapons for counter attacking and concentrate all heavy weapons so it's easier to bring to bear and of course make sure you use the russ right
    In cog we trust

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast