BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Veteran-Sergeant

Artillery is really iffy, but if you like them go for it. Although I think a russ is almost the point cost. Grenade launchers are good, but plasma and meltas are better. I agree with Bob but leave a few hvy wpns. Missle launcher or auto cannons. lascannons only if you dont have them on anything else. Hvy bolters arnt worth it.
    I will disagree with one thing. Giving CCW to your cmd squads are almost pointless. Once they get tied up only the officers and commissars count, everyone is ablative armor.

havign toys like valkryies and sentinels are what give your army flavor, not whats going to save it. Chimeras if you can make thjem work are a good value. ( I just can't make them work for me).

One note on commissars, they are there to bloster your cmd squad. GIves you another pwr wpn/ pwr fist and a boost to your leadership. THe reason i lost that combined squad was i took a hit on my commissar and didnt have the reroll he would have provided.
    Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. Armed Forces don't have that problem. R Regan

I usually choose meltas over plasmas. Also make sure you get enough flamers spread out through your army. I don't always like to give my command squads full weapon load outs if I can spread the points around a little.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Inquisitor View Post
    I usually choose meltas over plasmas. Also make sure you get enough flamers spread out through your army. I don't always like to give my command squads full weapon load outs if I can spread the points around a little.
    I like metlas too, but there is something nice about reaching out 24" with AP2 goodness. I know its not good for the guards man but , will make more. Grenade launchers for awhile were my favorite, just for the versatility. But with 5 ed rules on blasts, i take them less often. Mostly for my static squads. As far as flamers go, I hate the short range, love that the guard low BS isnt a concern, but usually i get one use and its not a certain kill,(like plasma or melta) before the owning squad is destroyed.
    Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. Armed Forces don't have that problem. R Regan

can you show me what kind of list you use? im just curious to compare with mine...

Veteran-Sergeant

Gave a quick scan of the thread , I am very successful with guard and I play with a tough group of tournament hard core gamers there list are tight with little fat so it forces me to do the same , although I am known to run fun theme driven lists and still pull off the win .

I see in your list you have no direction except for get as many plasma guns as you can , that was good last edition but a lot has changed , melta guns are really the only reliable AV14 killers now a day so you want alot of them . instead of pick apart your list Il give you one of my successful lists and tell you why it works and going by your list it seems like your not that far off .

HQ- command squad , las cannon team , master of fleet in a chimera
    This is cheap and with the las cannon its a nice way to get a BS 4 las cannon in the list , no power fist this squad is better off sitting in the chimera giving orders to your line and shooting it las cannon , when there is good cover I keep them out of transport and have it roam around blocking fire lanes or getting in the way of assaults .

infantry command
    heavy flamer , flamer , 2 melta gun , in a chimera
    this squad really can be a pain , its small but can dish out the hurt on light armored infantry , I keep them in the chimera shoot out of the hatches and get out only if there is a good chance to get in a really nice flame template on a unit , they are not bad at taking down tanks either .

3x infantry squads melta gun , in chimera
    these are to gun for objectives stay in there transport fire from the hatch only to get out last turn to claim stuff
    commissar in one squad

infantry squad melta - these ride in the vendetta

infantry command
    auto cannon 2x grenade launchers
    3x infantry platoon auto cannon , grenade launcher
    commissar in one squad
    This is my line they fire at light vehicles and troops and cover my transport teams , they hang back and protect close by objectives if I have too I will forgo the last turn or two of shooting to use the move move move order to claim near by objectives .

veteran squad 3 melta
    they ride in a Valkyrie and tank hunt sometimes I give them demo charge its fun , they are also used to claim objectives by swooping in from the valk .

5 man storm trooper squad 2 melta x 2
    these small squads always deep strike , they go after armor thats tucked away in cover they are also good at landing on the other side of cover and and taking out shootie eldar hiding behind walls with there ap 3 las guns .

Valkyrie las cannon
    vendetta

leman russ BT x2
    these sit back with my line and do what they do best

vanquisher with knight commander Pask
    this just kills tanks right from turn one

This is my list its very mobile with a decent fire base watching its back , in objective games this list runs very smooth has enough speed to grab objectives with 5 chimeras and 2 valks , I can be all over the place and all those transports offer nice fire power , I give heavy flamer multi laser to my chimeras this is nice for taking out light transports and speeders and good at getting light infantry out of cover . Everything stays in there transports til the last second when they grab and contest objectives .

In kill points I mob up both infantry squads let the transports cover each other and block assaults . With smoke and finding good cover they can do ok for themselves , the valks are moving fast most of the time . The storm troopers usually hide out for this mission . My tanks usually can grab up a good amount of KP the vanquisher shines here popping as much armor as possible , and my first rank second rank fire on the huge blobbed up squads can surprise units when they venture too close . This is also the reason I take a single commissar in those 2 infantry platoons so when I mob up they are 2 stubborn 35 man squads .

I hope this helps out .

Veteran-Sergeant

Default this is my standard list at 1850pts

HQ
    Company Command Squad;
    CC
    lasguns, cls cmbt wpns, frags, vox (5), 2x grenade launcher, (10)

Lascannon (20),

Elites
    Ratling Snipers x5
    sniper rifle, las pistol, infiltrate, stealth

Storm trooper squad x5
    sgt
    carapace armor, hotshot lasgun, hotshot las pistol, cls cmbt wpn, frag and krak.
    deep strike, special operations. Meltagun (10)

Storm trooper squad x5
    sgt
    carapace armor, hotshot lasgun, hotshot las pistol, cls cmbt wpn, frag and krak.
    deep strike, special operations. Meltagun (10)

Troops

Infantry platoon
    guardsman
    Platoon cmder
    plasma pistol (10), pwr wpn (10)
    Commissar
    pwr wpn (10), Plasma Pistol (10)
    lasgun, , 2X meltaguns (20), vox caster (5), krak grenades (5)
    cls cmbt wpn, frags, medipack (30){Ignore wound}

Infantry squad
    sgt
    lasguns, plasma rifle (15), frags, cls cmbt wpn, vox (5), sgt melta bombs (5)

Infantry squad
    sgt

Infantry squad
    sgt

Special wpns squad
    lasguns, cls cmbt wpn, 3x meltaguns (30),

Troops
    Infantry platoon
    guardsman
    lasgun, lascannon (20), 2x grenade launcher (10)
    cls cmbt wpn, frags,
    Platoon cmder
    laspistol, cls cmbt wpn, frags

Infantry squad
    sgt
    lasguns, grenade launcher (5), missle laucher (15), frags, cls cmbt wpn.

Infantry squad
    sgt
    lasguns, grenade launcher (5), missle laucher (15), frags, cls cmbt wpn.

Fast Attack
    Scout Sentinels
    2xMultilaser,Autocannon, move thru cover, scouts, open topped

Hvy Support
    Leman Russ Battle tank Squadron
    searchlight, smoke launchers, lumbering behemoth, Hvy bolter, pintel hvy stubbber (10),
    Hvy bolter sponsons (20)

Leman Russ Executioner
    searchlight, smoke launchers, lumbering behemoth, Hvy bolter, pintel hvy stubbber (10),
    plama cannon sponsons (40)

Leman Russ Battle tank Squadron
    Leman Russ Vanquisher tank
    searchlight, smoke launchers, lumbering behemoth, lascannon (15),
    (2d6 for penetration), plama cannon sponsons (40)

Leman Russ Battle tank
    searchlight, smoke launchers, lumbering behemoth, Lascannon (15), pintel hvy stubbber (10),
    Hvy bolter sponsons (20)

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Slann View Post
    Gave a quick scan of the thread , I am very successful with guard and I play with a tough group of tournament hard core gamers there list are tight with little fat so it forces me to do the same , although I am known to run fun theme driven lists and still pull off the win .

I see in your list you have no direction except for get as many plasma guns as you can , that was good last edition but a lot has changed , melta guns are really the only reliable AV14 killers now a day so you want alot of them . instead of pick apart your list Il give you one of my successful lists and tell you why it works and going by your list it seems like your not that far off .

HQ- command squad , las cannon team , master of fleet in a chimera
    This is cheap and with the las cannon its a nice way to get a BS 4 las cannon in the list , no power fist this squad is better off sitting in the chimera giving orders to your line and shooting it las cannon , when there is good cover I keep them out of transport and have it roam around blocking fire lanes or getting in the way of assaults .

infantry command
    heavy flamer , flamer , 2 melta gun , in a chimera
    this squad really can be a pain , its small but can dish out the hurt on light armored infantry , I keep them in the chimera shoot out of the hatches and get out only if there is a good chance to get in a really nice flame template on a unit , they are not bad at taking down tanks either .

3x infantry squads melta gun , in chimera
    these are to gun for objectives stay in there transport fire from the hatch only to get out last turn to claim stuff
    commissar in one squad

infantry squad melta - these ride in the vendetta

infantry command
    auto cannon 2x grenade launchers
    3x infantry platoon auto cannon , grenade launcher
    commissar in one squad
    This is my line they fire at light vehicles and troops and cover my transport teams , they hang back and protect close by objectives if I have too I will forgo the last turn or two of shooting to use the move move move order to claim near by objectives .

veteran squad 3 melta
    they ride in a Valkyrie and tank hunt sometimes I give them demo charge its fun , they are also used to claim objectives by swooping in from the valk .

5 man storm trooper squad 2 melta x 2
    these small squads always deep strike , they go after armor thats tucked away in cover they are also good at landing on the other side of cover and and taking out shootie eldar hiding behind walls with there ap 3 las guns .

Valkyrie las cannon
    vendetta

leman russ BT x2
    these sit back with my line and do what they do best

vanquisher with knight commander Pask
    this just kills tanks right from turn one

This is my list its very mobile with a decent fire base watching its back , in objective games this list runs very smooth has enough speed to grab objectives with 5 chimeras and 2 valks , I can be all over the place and all those transports offer nice fire power , I give heavy flamer multi laser to my chimeras this is nice for taking out light transports and speeders and good at getting light infantry out of cover . Everything stays in there transports til the last second when they grab and contest objectives .

In kill points I mob up both infantry squads let the transports cover each other and block assaults . With smoke and finding good cover they can do ok for themselves , the valks are moving fast most of the time . The storm troopers usually hide out for this mission . My tanks usually can grab up a good amount of KP the vanquisher shines here popping as much armor as possible , and my first rank second rank fire on the huge blobbed up squads can surprise units when they venture too close . This is also the reason I take a single commissar in those 2 infantry platoons so when I mob up they are 2 stubborn 35 man squads .

I hope this helps out .
    to be honest our list are very similar, except your use of transports. I currently dont have any valkryes, but that will change soon. We both make use of a static gun line and than a mobile front. I'm not using any special characters, but thats mostly from having played since the old RT days and everyone stayed away from Special characters. (call cheesey if you did) I am intersted in trying out both pask and marlbo just for fun.

Veteran-Sergeant

The transports are the key to the list they let you get stuff where is has to be and protects them the new vehicle damage chart makes transports a lot tougher than the last edition , chimeras are probably one of the best transports as well cheap a lot of fire power good front armor , and those hatches allow you even more fire power .

Veteran-Sergeant

I wont disagree, A good friend of mine plays an all mech IG army. Something like 8 chimeras with basic squads with meltas, a unit of rough riders and 2 russes. And he does pretty good. As a matter of fact at the last Apoc game he fieild the salamnder Co using the tank riders strategem. and kill 3 stompas in one turn. Like i've said before i cant make Mech Co work. My guys gotta slogg by foot across the battlefield.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123