BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Army Transport -- Best Known Methods?

All-

My daughter and I are going to play in the tournament this year, but since we're so far away, the family will be flying. I've always played in local tournaments, so I've never tried transporting an army (let alone 2!) on a plane before. I'm hoping folks out there have some best known methods for getting the armies from point A to point B in only the number of pieces they started in. I'm guessing that carry-on is going to be preferred (that way you have control on the models, as well as knowing that they won't get lost), but not sure that's going to be possible.

So, ideas? Tips? Recommendations on transport methods? (BTW, I'm playing GK, and she is playing CSM.)

Thanks!

-sorri

I'm moving this to 40K general in hopes that you'll get some responses

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

I would not reccomend the GW hardcases, over priced and while all right for short travel, not what you are after.

There are two other companies I know of

The first is Battlefoam, they used to have a really good reputation but seem to be much quieter in hte market now. I myself have a battlefoam case though no foam (shipping to Aus is HARD and Expensive) but the casse itself is very good quality

the other is Armytransport, I have no personal experience but they seem to have a bit more presence in my area selling through a few of the LGSs
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Thanks The Girl.

daboarder- I have a couple Battlefoam cases. They transported most of my minis from Austin to OR when I moved up here -- successfully in the moving truck. Both my cases are pretty big though, and after seeing what my luggage has looked like after some domestic flights, I'm not sure if it will stand up in the hold. Not to mention how much it would suck to get there without the models. The more I think about it, the more I think it almost has to happen in carry-on. The only good news is that there will be 4 of us to transport the 2 armies if we do carry-on.

Chapter-Master

in that case, perhaps one of those hard shell case suitcases? with the foam inside them, then wedge up any gaps with some towels?

If thats not your style then yeah carry on would be my reccomendation
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Might look at KR Multicase as well

Those look interesting -- I'll have to check them out. Thanks.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by sorri View Post
    Those look interesting -- I'll have to check them out. Thanks.
    However you do it sorri, please post up the results, its a good issue for people to understand and its not exactly the sort of thing thats often discussed

Librarian

I fly low-key count (smaller) vintage synths frequently enough, and heres my caveat: Even as carry on if you end up on a full flight they may force you to gate check your stuff if they run out of overhead room. if your **** isn't in a hardcase with some sort of shockfoam you might as well pack as much glue as needed to re-assemble everything assuming there arent any true breaks on the model pieces itself

my advice is to find a used flight case on craigslist music listings and then put your foam trays in there with some extra padding too. you see people selling them all the time for far less than the cost of some of the actual cases (GW/KR/ETC) sometimes you can find them chilling at a samash or guitar center for not too much. also if you get thats **** really cased well you can baggage check it sans concern. but I wouldn't do that as with baggage check you face the other danger - temperature

Yeah, I was thinking of similar concerns. I was looking at Battlefoam again (maybe going with Pack Go or some Pack Plusses to add to what I have -- however about $700 seems high for what we'd need), and they all say rated and approved for carry on. We're flying Southwest, and I checked their sizing (10x16x24), and many of the bags just are outside some of the size ranges. We're doing the early check-in, so I should be able to find overhead space, but not fitting was also a big concern -- and regardless of temperature, I'd hate for checked (or even gate checked) bags to not make it and we can't play because we have no armies. Heck, I'm even thinking of getting some of the cupcake transport containers, adding a metal sheet to the bottom and magnetizing. That way we can put them under the seat in front of us if push comes to shove.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. This has given me lots to think about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast