BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran-Sergeant

If you don't want to spend the money of battleform trays you can make them yourself. I've made a number of them for my armies and then used gym bags to carry them. Your local fabric shop carries foam in various thickness, you will need a block of cushion foam 1" - 4" thick, depending on models, and then a sheet of 1/2" thick foam. Cut the holes you need for your mini's, then spray the top (or bottom) with some fabric spray glue, and lay the 1/2" sheet on top, trim and let set. After 8-10 hours or so, the glue is set, and now you have your own hand made figure trays.
    Yes I misspell stuff, you'll live.

Librarian

also another weird thought, but if you bring "alternative" packaging of anykind most TSA screenings will give it a swipe and wipe via those crazy particle detectors/spectrometers. Those pick up traces of stuff up like a week after its been around. I've never gotten in trouble just yelled at a lot.

Veteran-Sergeant

If you find a decent box to put it all in, you can make your own for super cheap!

[url]http://creativetwilight.com/making-your-own-foam-trays/[/url]
    "There's no use permitting some prophet of doom to wipe all your smiles away!"

Thanks, that's cool, too! I was also thinking maybe some Really Useful Boxes would work. They're not cheap either, but I always have uses for them. I'd just need to get oens the foam fit in, or make foam to fit in them. Like I said, I have lots of foam, though it's not all the right kind (for the troops I'm looking at bringing). Thanks!

[url]http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/fragile.aspx[/url]

Chaplain

I use a "long-gun" (rifle or shotgun) case from Wal-Mart - they're usually on sale for $20 at the end of hunting season, and they're great for foot figures. Little skinny for vehicles, though - I pack those in another box with foam "peanuts."

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by son_of_volmer View Post
    If you find a decent box to put it all in, you can make your own for super cheap!

[url]http://creativetwilight.com/making-your-own-foam-trays/[/url]
    Definetly what I was doing, just less organized. I never thought about the spray paint template idea.
    Yes I misspell stuff, you'll live.

All, just a quick reply let people know what we did and how it went.

We ended up going with [URL="http://www.amazon.com/Really-Useful-Boxes-17-Liter-Plastic/dp/B00FZ81SA8/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1435824918&sr=8-13&keywords=really+useful+box"]2 17L Really Useful Boxes[/URL], one for each army. I ran GK with 2 storm ravens, 2 dreadknights, 1 dreadnought, Draigo, Librarian, and 2 6-man terminator squads. My daughter ran CSM with termie Sorc, 2 10-man CSM sqads in rhinos, 6 plague marines, 2 helbrutes, 1 heldrake, 2 oblits, a land raider, and a defiler. We each used some Battlefoam trays in the bottom of the boxes for the infantry models, and then we layered foam and models in on top, topping off with another piece of foam to maintain compression. I was surprised we were able to fit each army into it's own box, but it worked out really well. We had no issues going through security, and we found that if we put the boxes in the overhead sideways, they still took up about the size of a rollerboard (you could still fit one in the overhead next to it as well), and we could put a couple backpacks in front and partially on top of them. We got a couple weird looks *leaving* the planes, but none on the way in, and everything survived the plane trips, the taxi ride, and all the car/shuttle trips with no issues. No models were harmed in the making of this trip.

Hope that helps if anyone else is thinking of doing something like this. Though I must admit most of the people I talked to at WGC said they just threw stuff in a bag (mostly Battlefoam) and checked it. Enjoy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12