View Poll Results: Skaven and Lizardmen to 40K like Daemons

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great idea

11 84.62%
  • Bad idea

2 15.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Lizardmen and Skaven doing Daemons (a 'what if')

Given how well that Daemons cross the two systems, I think it may be possible and rather cool if both Lizardmen and Skaven did the same.

In Lizardmen there is the potential to have an army that out psyker the best psykers in the game, and they have freaking big dinosuars

Skaven have some really cool guns and stuff and are a potential hoard army of madness

What do you people (you are people right) think?

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    and they have freaking big dinosuars

Hmmm. Allied with Exodite Eldar???

Chaplain

The fluff said the Eldar were the servants to an older race, Necrons have been hinted at, but the Lizards have that kind of left field kink to the situation to make it work.

Hruud and Slaan. Think they've changed the Hruud a bit. But I'm still pretty sure the slaan are the old ones that made eldar and fought necrons.

Use the Slann and Lizardmen.. Fluff from the original (Big GreenBook) said that the Old Slann were the original creators of the elves. Have them a race that when the original warp storms happened got blasted in to the future...

I've always been of the opinion that the WHFB world was a warp isolated planet in the 40K universe, so your idea isn't as odd as you think.

In early versions of the game Chaos armies could take Bolters for example. And in the End Times there was a suggestion that one of the heroes met a Grey Knights named character in the warp (I forget the exact details)

Also consider the idea that Sigmar is one of the lost Primarchs...
    Last edited by DeluX; 05-19-2015 at 10:04 AM.

Veteran-Sergeant

I'd be for it provided that each army brought something new to the game.

The Skaven dynamic (massed cheap infantry, poor armour saves, crazy inventions) is currently the Ork niche, with some mutant abominations reminiscent of the Dark Eldars' Homonculi. For the rat-folk to enter the field they'd need something to set them apart.

Maybe army-wide infiltration and stealth, with lots of cannon fodder troops who fight with archaic weapons (short range, poor strength, no AP, low ROF, no saves, compensating through sheer numbers) who can pin the enemy down (Skavenslaves) with special rules that allow better units (aka everything else in their list) to shoot into combat.
    That would quickly make the army have a unique playstyle that fits their WHFB incarnation, with a heavy focus on using skavenslaves to pin the enemy army in place while their half-psyker-half-tech heavy weapons and warp-enhanced archaic weapons do the actual damage (Imagine flintlocks which can pierce power armour due to warp enhancements, ect.)

Infiltration and stealth would both be vital for the army, as Skaven aren't exactly the types who you'd want to stick in a confined space with no witnesses (IE a transport) so infiltration and possibly fleet would allow them to start fairly close to the enemy, while stealth would help cover their lack of any armour that can stand up to even Imperial Flashlights.

I am seeing this as an army which is still more or less at the same tech level as they are in Fantasy, having either somehow breached the webway, stowed away on an imperial transport, or otherwise found some mystical way to travel between the stars (Spelljammers, anyone?).

I'd suggest giving their Psykers access to a list with a focus on buff and mobility, with perhaps one or two big flashy spells to round out. The Primus power would grant all friendly units within 12 inches the shrouded special rule (synergizes well with their stealth and grants them a save since they lack armour), another would allow a target movement to move as jump infantry for a turn, another would drop a giant warpstone rock on a target within range, maybe one would grant feel no pain to the grey seer's unit, another to give a unit poisoned attacks, one would be throwing warp lightning from the grey seer's claws, and a final one would grant +1 to WS, I, and A to one unit within range. Giving them access to cheap support psykers who are liable to perils of the warp on any double with an eye to having them attach to squads and provide buffs like Eldar Warlocks (possibly granting their units a 5+ invulnerable with their primus power) and they'd be a bit of a powerhouse in this phase to compensate for their crippling tech deficiencies.

They'd also have access to their full array of monstrous creatures to compensate for their lack of anything on par with tanks. I mean, most of their 'vehicles' would probably be below armour 10 on all sides, possibly even as low as 8 in some cases (but with a lot of potential firepower to make up for it). Their MCs and Rat Ogre Heavy Infantry would fill the void of tough fire magnets, likely able to dish out serious punishment in return.

Their range anti-tank options would be warp cannons (or whatever they're called). Static artillery pieces, but with warp enhanced ammunition I can still see them packing a strength of 8 or nine, possibly with Armourbane on top. Poor rate of fire would be an issue, but them's the breaks.

Lizardmen... I'd compare them to Daemons: Elite CC troops, Powerful Psykers, MCs. They're not sneaky or numerous like the Skaven and their durability that allows them to be elite in WHFB isn't going to hold up to bolter fire. I'd suggest giving them all wards (an invul save each) but that takes them closer again to Daemons. Not really familiar enough with the army to suggest conversion ideas.

If lizardmen was in 40k they would be most likely the genestealer cult and as for Skaven its admech because of there looks.
    Those who judge without reason are no better then the things they judge.

I think that both should have only what they have in WHFB and similar incarnations, with slight adaptation to the rules.

Skaven having army-wide shrouded, stealth and night vision and move like beasts with lots of cannon fodder troops who fight with archaic weapons sounds like ratmen of nightmares. I think they should get to keep their signature spells as well as units.
    It may mean that Skaven are a little like DE and Orks, but they are also very different by being some kind of mixture.
    Have them appear out of nowhere, mysterious portals from where ever they vanished to in WHFB.

Lizzardmen have scaly-skin which has always been a 4+ save, gave them Salamander Scales for FNP v Flamer, Melta and Laser weapons at X points. I think that some of the background would have to be explored for the weapons, but could be ala GK and have force CCW and these guys should also keep their signature power from WHFB.
    We know that they managed to get space ships working, so having them appear on the fringes can and using the webway makes sense to me.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by MacKinley Johnston View Post
    Hruud and Slaan. Think they've changed the Hruud a bit. But I'm still pretty sure the slaan are the old ones that made eldar and fought necrons.
    Yeah they fluffed them beyond the possibility of being the skaven, but as some have pointed out the skaven are good at making really weird attrocious things, perhaps the Hurd could be one of them.

I think were going to see the Slann definetly cross over given the implications of end-times. My guess is something similar to a Harlequinn sized release where their focus is small teched out or psyked out units to support another army

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast