BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Prices for SW stuff are a little marked up here in Blighty. That same fleet (Core set plus one of each Wave 1 Rebel item and throw in an extra Neb-B) would set you back £140 plus change from Amazon. That's two Bloodthirsters. And a sherbert dip.

Chapter-Master

I'm definitely loving this game. Still learning the gameplay mechanics but this is the first spaceship combat game I'm played that gives the feel of big ponderous ships. I've also just started a thread in the Other painting projects section titled "Star Wars Armada - Paint Your Squadrons!".
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Veteran-Sergeant

We~ell, it also swaps the missile slot for a cannon slot.
    Ooooh I missed that, nice!

From the pictures I've been seeing online, the slightly ropey models I saw at the SciFi Weekender may well have been factory seconds for demo purposes only....but I dunno.
    I think they look fine, maybe not the best but good. I think the Nebulon looks a bit in need of a wash but the other ships look fine. Painting up the squadrons is going to be another story. It seems like a great idea until I actually look at the size of the ships. If you though ripper teeth were tough this is a whole new ball game.

I'm a definite 'twelfty of everything' gamer, and this is just looking a bit out of my price bracket.
    I would say the price is quite comparable to X-Wing. The points value for a game is set at 300 with 1/3 allowed to be spent on Squadrons and with a Victory clocking in at at least 73 points, and the cheapest Admiral is Motti at 24 points, that's 1/3 of your points for the crust and not even any toppings yet. You are never going to have 3 Victories or 4 Gladiators in one game (Well you could but the rest of your options are pretty limited) unless you have to have more Destroyers than North Korea...
    Haven't looked at the Rebel side of things yet there ships are less points but also less money.
    I am a completist to but really the starter set, another Victory, 2 Gladiators and 2 Imperial fighter squadrons will give you all the options you could ever want.

If you think that's a bit much, imagine picturing all of that stuff sitting on a table beside a single Bloodthirster model (and toss in another Corvette or Neb-B to even it up)
    Bah ha ha! Too true too true. The worst part is so many people will buy one because of GW hype and it will sit un-assembled for a couple years and then end up on eBay, My Victory II has been chasing the cat for the whole weekend, money well spent.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    I'm still reticent about the game, but remain kind-of interested.....

From the pictures I've been seeing online, the slightly ropey models I saw at the SciFi Weekender may well have been factory seconds for demo purposes only....but I dunno. I'm a definite 'twelfty of everything' gamer, and this is just looking a bit out of my price bracket.

For now anyways!
    Anytime I can collect an entire game system for the price of a single GW faction I consider it a win. Seriously enough this looks to be a pretty small investment compared to the potential tabletop shenanigans and the fun factor.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brenlak View Post
    Tell me about it, those TIE-Bombers, I thought they would never fit!
    Egads! That's the last imperial variant I have to finish up! I hadn't thought about how huge they are!
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Pricing is an odd one.

GW I spend a lot on.

X-Wing appeals because it's impulse buy priced (and don't I half impulse buy!)

But Armada...it's just.....yeah.. It's costs are a bit prohibitive for the people I X-Wing with, and those who GW can't currently divert the funds required from ongoing GW projects.

Not knocking the game like, it's just in an odd place for my locale.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Pricing is an odd one.

GW I spend a lot on.

X-Wing appeals because it's impulse buy priced (and don't I half impulse buy!)

But Armada...it's just.....yeah.. It's costs are a bit prohibitive for the people I X-Wing with, and those who GW can't currently divert the funds required from ongoing GW projects.

Not knocking the game like, it's just in an odd place for my locale.
    Ah Community > price any day... not having a decent spread of opponents is a definite negative for any game. I guess I should thank GW for alienating the majority of the local player base. Now where I live players are fractured between so many different games you can pretty much get into anything and find a small thriving community. Works well for me as I love having the option to float between all the different game systems. It would be hard to buy into something when no one else was interested in playing!
    My Truescale Insanity

Didn't know there was some overseas markup. Well, I suppose it's fair game for what we get over here from GW (which I always assumed was a "Screw You, Colonials" tax). Quite odd, though. But then, I forget that many countries impose extra tariffs and such on imported items, even games, in order to help businesses based in that nation. So yeah, guess that's to be expected.

I didn't put my Bloodthirster on the shelf unassembled. Arkhan still is, granted, but only because right now I'm burnt out on painting Undead. My Bloodthirster's seen some game action, ranging from stumbling on Necron Warriors to lopping heads off their leaders and somehow surviving a Knight's attacks to then swing back and destroy the Knight (doing far more damage to the Orks he was locked in combat with than his attacks were). But a Bloodthirster really isn't as fun to use in chasing cats as a VSD, where you can also make appropriate turbolaser sounds. (I do the same with my X-Wing ships.)

And hey, what's wrong with having multiple Star Destroyers? The Empire had 25,000 ISDs, you have to imagine there were at least 10,000 VSDs. And at some point you just know a SSD is coming. (And then I'll end up buying one just to repaint as the captured Lusankya. Maybe I'll get two, just to have a before-and-after, but that'll probably be like $250 worth of models if they're to scale.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    Ah Community > price any day... not having a decent spread of opponents is a definite negative for any game. I guess I should thank GW for alienating the majority of the local player base. Now where I live players are fractured between so many different games you can pretty much get into anything and find a small thriving community. Works well for me as I love having the option to float between all the different game systems. It would be hard to buy into something when no one else was interested in playing!
    Local player base here is still pretty heavy GW... but it's because of a weird Catch-22. People don't want to buy into games no one else is playing, but if people don't get the games, then of course there's no one playing them. So you have to find some folks willing to be the first ones in. And then the stores don't really stock other games (at one store, the Star Wars games are pretty much it, other than a rather small Warmachine selection) because people aren't playing them, so then people don't see them on the shelves, and if you want to buy the stuff, you have to spend money away from the local stores. I'm considering getting into a few games and grabbing enough for two forces in each so I can help people play demo games, try to get them into the games, and convince the stores to stock more stuff.

I can see Armada being a bit more than people playing X-Wing might be used to, depending on how they're playing. I dropped about $100 on Scum & Villainy stuff for X-Wing and ended up with over 200 points worth, so I was able to even do a Scum-vs-Scum match with a friend to help him learn the game without us even using all my S&V stuff (much less the starter game stuff). You can do a 100 point squadron (sort of squadron, anyway) for $50-$60 (i.e. four TIE Interceptors using Soontir Fel, Turr Phennir, and a couple others representing other 181st pilots).

Do your cats not turn around and attack the ships?

I think I have a solution.....

Order up a single ship, and see what I think.

Probably that smaller Star Destroyer variant, because it looks cool!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Houghten View Post
    Do your cats not turn around and attack the ships?
    No... They learned a while back not to attack me or make threatening motions toward me, and that I'm not going to actually hurt them, just play with them. We have a nice relationship.

I wouldn't recommend any strangers do that with my cat Jaina, though. She's a friendly sort, likes new people, but, well, she got the name Jaina for a reason. (If you're familiar with the character Jaina Proudmoore from World of Warcraft, and the recent direction she took in that setting, you'll get it.)

- - - Updated - - -

I think I have a solution.....

Order up a single ship, and see what I think.

Probably that smaller Star Destroyer variant, because it looks cool!
    Seems like a fair idea.

I like the Imperial ships a lot, so I was thinking of going Imperial, but luckily, the Rebel ships are pretty sweet, too. I do like how they contrast with each other in style, with the Imperials being hard shapes, generally looking like a spear tip about to be thrust into the enemy, while the Rebel ships are mostly "organic" shapes that are round and somewhat "soft" in their appearance (while still being pretty formidable vessels).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast