BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Memorable Moments

Well, what it says on the tin, if you have any particularly memorable moments from your games of 40k, then here is the place to share them. Whether they're funny, sad or downright alarming, everyone will have had similar so enlighten us, give us some laughs at others misfortune, or if you're willing, at yours

Ok, not particularly funny or anything, but memorable to me, the first time that I played against necrons in planetstrike, with them as the attackers. First off, it is the first time I've actually seen dead necrons, not necrons that might be back or are temporarily malfunctioning, nope, a whole squad dead in the first turn of shooting with the Lord barely escaping! The funny part was, at the end of the game, he had been so caught up trying to blow up at least one of my russes that he was caught at the other end of the table to the objectives, somehow the Guard held not only the objectives, but held their own as well!

But a week ago, we had a semi tank shock battle in the store, unfortunately I couldn't stick around for the main event. However, I, with the armoured might of the Imperial Guard was up against every other army in the store, protecting my main guns with two lines of russes with the odd chimera chassis in there, their first turn of shooting managed I think two crew shaken results. We limited the time we had in the turns however because I was pressed for time, and then the look on my opponents faces was priceless as I brought out the apocalypse template, to start dropping plasma down on them along with the odd baneblade shell! If I'd had the time, I probably would have decimated half their combined forces in that turn, however I only managed to get the stormblade's plasma blastgun off along with the hellhammer, due to the sheer number of models we had to roll for. I believe I gutted two of their armies with the stormblade alone. Needless to say the fight wasn't particularly fair, and the general consensus after two turns of carnage from my armour and some vaguely worrying moments from their armies was an overwhelming but not very satisfying victory to myself. I'd been worrying about the number of models they'd fielded on the table at the start, but I see I had little to worry so long as I kept the big guns protected That is one battle I'm going to have to fight again at some point, but with more planning, a bigger table, and some specific objectives for each side. And purpose built armies

And last but by no means least, one of the apocalypse games I have played in. I joined on the second turn with my armour (I only play armour in apocalypse, no infantry to speak of, makes my turns shorter and means that without allies I'm useless, I also never use all my armour, so I reckon it's fair that way ), during the next turn I became the downfall of most of the forces on our end of the table. The xenos managed to punch through my Warhound's void shields in one turn and obliterated it in a massive chain reaction. The resulting explosion ignited the ammunition magazines in the leman russes accompanying it, setting off a series of smaller explosions nearby making sure that anything that survived the initial explosion was subject to shrapnel. However, this was nothing in the grand scheme of things as a nearby super-heavy's generator started to go critical from the immense heat emanating from the explosion. Shortly it exploded in an equally catastrophic explosion, catching two more super-heavies and two Brass Scorpions in it's blast. The combined heat of these two explosions began to melt the safety mechanisms on the super-heavies and their resulting explosions added to the carnage, making sure that the enemies brass scorpions stood no chance, they joined the Imperial machines in that finest tradition of Apocalypse, going apocalyptic and wiping out several of the enemy units as well. Possibly half an hour later, and with nearly everyone in the store gathered around to watch such an insane moment of the battle, the enemy looked on in triumph at the gaping hole they had caused in the Imperial lines, letting them rush forwards to claim vital objectives. Their faces fell however as they saw that another god of war had come to avenge it's comrades death. A mighty Warlord Titan strode forwards into the battle, obliterating anything that resembled the enemy. Soon however it became apparent that a new threat was near as a Gargant appeared, waddling onto the battlefield, no-one know the end of that titanic duel as few were left alive from the battle beneath, and those that were would not speak of the battle, of the horrors that had been unleashed, and of those apocalyptic moments that were broadcast during the battle. All we know is that the battlefield was left charred and melted from the battle.

I believe the grand total of the apocalyptic explosions came to seven in that battle . . . and all of them in one turn . . .

I think that's about all I can remember for the moment, but I hope it gives you some insight into what you might be able to contribute to the thread.
    +++The Imperator Contego Indomitable Fortress+++
    +++The 23rd Joint Assault Group+++

Brother-Sergeant

My story is no where near as grand or explosive as yours but the sheer luck of it just sticks out in my mind. I was playing a necron player with my salamanders and it was capture andcontrol and pitched battle setup. 4 objectives layed out in a rough square and i was consigned to shoot him till my terminators reached his lines and beat the crap out of his warriors. Earlier that day i found out that the land raider has a transport capacity of twelve(not sixteen like my shoddy reading skills had picked out) so my terminator libraian was huffing it on foot. I gave him the gateway power so he could teleport and use the avenger on an unlucky warrior squad who got too close. So i took the psychic test and passed it and placed him a foot(approximately) away from the terminator squad that had already disembarked out of their immobilised land raider. I roll the scatter dice and 2d6 and i cringe when i see the dreaded double sixes. The scatter dice is pointing straight at the terminators. I measure out to see exactly where he will land and ,Lo and Behold, He lands right in between 2 of the terminators that i originally wanted to attach him to. My opponent and i laughed our ***** off for a good few minutes.

Veteran-Sergeant

Playing my wonderful WH army, and running a CC Inquisitor Lord (yeah yeah, he is terrible, but using the Inq. Valkyrie from the IA 2 update, he gets places). 1500 points vs. my buddies old Grenadier army.

First couple turns, things going back and forth, no clear leader. However, things start to go awry as he finally shoots down the Inq. Valkyrie with a stray autocannon shot. Well, this is not good for me, as my Inq. and retinue were en route to a hot spot for an objective, which they were now about 16" shy from. So, he rolls penetrating, then proceeds to a roll a 6, causing a bevy of annoying wounds on the Inq . and retinue. He ends up taking out both Chirurgeons, three acolytes, a familar and two of three crusaders, leaving one crusader and the Inquisitor on the ground, in front of hostile forces with a good deal of shooting remaining.

Thankfully, this was before FRFSRF, so I only have to deal with about 20-ish lasgun shots, amongst some heavier stuff from a nearby unit of veterans. Amazingly, even with the 12~ wounds caused, both Inq. and crusader pull through, and his shooting phases ends, and his assault occurs with the vets. just shy of assault of range. Suffice it say, my Inq. no believes it is time for a good old Death or Glory charge, and runs into the Vet squad, ignoring the pocket PF, and the support units milling about.

First round of combat goes decidedly in my favour, but fails to break the unit, and the Inq. leaves 3-4 remaining vets (who, annoyingly, rolled snakes eyes on their morale check). The following turn, however, goes interestingly, as my buddy brings forth two 10 man units of infantry, plus his CCS into the fray. It now numbers almost 30 people against my poor little Inq. and crusader. He is hoping to crush me swiftly (and by all rights, he should with the shear number of charging attacks he gets). However, it would seem that the Inq. had the Emperor's attention that day, as every wound rolled seemed to bounce off either his 3+ armour save, or whiff by thanks to the 4+ invul. from the Rosarious. For sometime, it looked as though the crusader would have the same luck, however, the Emperor did not feel the prayers were adequate enough, and the crusader fell to a Powerfist attack, making him nice and gooey.

However, the Inq. had won combat, routed a unit, and had somewhat evened the odds, and we rolled onto the final turn of the game. At this point, because my friend had been overzealous, and assumed a swift victory over the Inquisitor, he now had one unit fleeing, two of his scoring units locked in combat, as well as his CCS. I was also preparing my eulogy for the Inq, as he would likely fall this turn. So, once again, death or glory, and I go after his CCS. After all, best dies by the hands of the enemy general, than by the hands of a lowly guardsman. With my I 5, I strike first, hit with all four attacks, and then proceed to wound! I cut his command squad down to one man... One man with a powerfist...

He preps his attack, he swings, he smacks the Inq up twice. Surely this is the end... Were it not for that wonderful little Rosarious and the 4+ invul! The rest of the gaurdsmen attack, a couple wounds bring the Inq down to 1 remaining wound, but combat remains in my favour, and I see another sqaud run! The final turns rolls around, combat continues, and once again, the Inq. defies all odds, and shrugs off every hit dealt to him (with a large sigh of relief when one of his remaining PF's whiffed by with a 1 to wound). Once again, I cause enough wounds that I remove the initial unit of vets finally, win the combat, and his commander finally has the good sense to run, and with nothing else locking the Inq in combat, I happily give chase, and run the heretic down.

the Inquisitor proved his mettle that day, and since then, I always find room for him in the fight. Sadly, I have never seen as lucky a day since then, and my friends now make him a top priority to take out early on, but he has become just so fun to use.

Shame he is useless in almost every tourny setting...

I always love it when my Ratlings kill stuff in close combat....especially ICs....Yes, it has happened more than once.

In my old IG army I had a female commissar. The objective was to hold the bridge. Turn 6 my commissar and my opponents Dark Angel Captain in TDA were the last models on the bridge. He wounded her once, she saved and then put 3 wounds on him. He rolled 3 ones.

My opponent was 6'6" and 350lbs and liked to talk alot of smack. He looked across the table at me with a pissed off look on his face. I yelled "You just got ***** slapped!"

He started laughing.

Fly Lord

It would have to be the tale of Guardman Rico Suave (an old Necromunda Orlock ganger with a plasmagun and a rather sporting vest).

Turn 1 vs a hotshot Eldar army: Rico loses his entire squad save him to Star Cannon fire. He of course stands his ground in the face of such sloppy xenos fire discipline.

Turn 2: Ready, aim, FIRE! --> One dead falcon.

Turn 3: Ready, aim, FIRE! --> TWO dead falcons!

Out of the second burning Falcon comes Jain Zar who has lost her entire squad to the wreck. She tries to charge and is just short.

Turn 4: Ready, aim, FIRE! --> Dead Jain Zar.

Guardsmen Rico got a special "eldar killer" vest painted up and to this day sits on my shelf telling the other Guardmen about the time he fought with the Emperor at his side.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Hivefleet Cobra-Kai

Back in 3rd edition, i had a black templar vs 'nid game. In this particular game, the nids were trying to break thru a wall. I had some terminators on the wall section when two carnifexes assaulted the wall and destroyed it. My 5 man squad took hits as if a transport blew up. all got wounded, and i rolled 3 1's. so with two terminators left, i did the only thing they could do.

I shot one fex, and assaulted...both.

First round, Fexes kill one terminator, but i (after shooting from previous turns) get both fexes down to 1 wound each. so it's two fexes vs 1 lone terminator.

Next round, i boldly choose to split my attacks (the fexes are int 1, so we strike simo) and hit both fexes, and wound both fexes. The termintor gets ripped to shreds from the attacks back, but that was the day my lone terminator killed two fexes.
    It was an Epic fight and both players felt like that was the best way that could have ended that combat.

Veteran-Sergeant

This one is short and sweet, but I would have to say when I had a lone guardsman (out of 4 left on the field) from the 4th edition codex armed with a mere lasgun fire a single shot into the last terminator of my opponent's force, killing the termy... Rolled a 6 to hit, 6 to wound, he rolled a 1 for his save. Pretty funny... until he gunned down the rest of my army with scouts (sniper rifles and a heavy bolter).

Another good one was when I destroyed three Lictors in close combat with just a stormtrooper sergeant... god bless powerswords and carapace
    Last edited by ChaosLord127; 08-06-2009 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Added another moment
    "All power... demands sacrifice..." ~ Sindri Myr

Chaplain

Wink

Well I can always remember 3 events that stand out in my memory. Two were in one game which my mate Glen & I play as an ongoing tale with his Radicle Inquisitor & IG Vs my Puritan Lady Inquisiter & my Sisters.
    The story goes his Iq is trying to capture an old Tome of Chaos law & My girls are trying to destroy it.
    Many games end in a draw but I can often destroy it before he can make off with it.
    Anyway in this particular game hit hits my Inqs Chimera with Inq & Retinue on board in his first turn (going First!) with a Battle Cannon from a Russ & "creams" said Inq & Retinue!
    So game over you think--- well Sisters have Faith! Never say Die! & on the last turn of the game his Ing has the book & tries to scurry off the board to safety only to be cut down by concentrated Heavy Bolter fire from a Squad of Retributors. Now THARS Retribution! LoL

The second also involved Glen in a game we were playing 2 per side large points Black Templars Vs Orks.
    Well Glen had scratch built a very large Ork Battle Trukk that could actually hold 20 Ork Boys. Anyway in Turn 1 both of the Templars had tried to Zapp the truck with Lascannons from Land Raiders, Predators etc & had not been able to hurt it. There was a BT Crusader in a squad up on a ridge that had line of sight to the Trukk he rolled to hiy Yes! Rolled to Wound, Yes & then rolled a 6--- Kaboom yes no more truck & all the Boys died in the explosion! That was the first game that trukk had appeared in but it did manage to do better in subsequent games.

The 3rd was when my Cannoness managed to kill a Greater Daemon of Tzeech in Hand to Hand combat after I had softened it up a bit with a Immy armed with Multi-Meltas. Yes the Emperor does Protect & so does Blessed Weapons!

Regards Barry H.

Veteran-Sergeant

back in 3rd ed I was at a tournament with my BA army. I had the breadyest list with 4 dreads. I was plaing against a guy with demonhunters and brother captain stern. For 3 turn I assaulted Stern termy squad with dread after dread and each turn a dread and a few termies would fall. the last furioso ran up to Stern and ripped him apart on the last turn of the game after stern rolled all ones to hit. I was so proud I put a banner with the -=][=- with a strike through it on the dread's leg.

Another time I had a sniper do a lucky shot to a greater demon of khornre and kill it. I was the only player to ever kill that demon in the whole time to guy owned that army.
    Last edited by vharing; 08-06-2009 at 12:46 AM.

Allied game: Tau and Orks (myself) vs. Dark Eldar and Thousand Sons w/Lash Prince and Ahriman.

My battlewagon had just dropped off its cargo of boyz and had swept up a unit of Sons and had 'ard boyz from a trukk coming in behind them for one big assault against a couple more units of Sons. All had cover thanks to a KFF Mek joined to them. Then in strikes 3 Obliterators, who then are joined by Ahriman in his movement phase. He drops Heavy Flamers from all of them as well as a boatload of the psyker template power, inflicting enough unsaveable wounds to kill all 25 Orks, Mek included. Needless to say I was quite sore about this, but there wasn't much I could do about it, unless...

On my following turn I the battlewagon around and deff roll them (would have been nice if Ahriman hadn't joined the Oblits, I'd have gotten a whole separate d6 for him alone). I roll 4 hits exactly, and he takes his saves - 3 Obliterators, 2 fail their saves and are ground to mush, followed swiftly by a failed save by Ahriman as well. The remaining Obliterator makes his leadership check, and the player decides to cut his losses rather than try and Death or Glory. On the following shooting phase, a pair of gun drones from my allied player take pot shots at it and manage kill it off with even more unlucky rolling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast