BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default New Codex release cycle

So recently Eldar, Imperial Knights, and now Space Marines (even new rumors of Dark Angels too) are getting new codex's despite their previous codex not being that old. I've seen a number of posts where people are concerned about the product life. I'm not sure if this cycle of a new codex every year or so will be an issue. I think it's more of a 'GW found a style they like' thing. The recent configuration of the new codex's is far different then the ones released just last year. I think the people at GW found the style they like and are working to bring all codex's into line.

I'm not too concerned about having to replace my Eldar Codex in 2017, I'm looking forward to finally seeing Codex: Eldar Exodites (afterall why use the word 'Craftworld' in the title). I think once GW redoes all the Codex's in this new style, they will focus even more on the other sub armies like they have been doing recently.
    Yes I misspell stuff, you'll live.

Chapter-Master

I don't mind since I do not play the game. I love the new codex books I've got though for the backround, art ect. I'm looking forward to Genestealer cults, deathwatch, exodites - and hopefully, I SO hope, some decent new alien races that aren't bloody human shaped.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Re: "Craftworld", that first came about in 3.5 with supplements around themed armies, and I suspect it's mostly a distinction between harlequins, dark, and craftworld, so big heap o' salt if you're taking that as evidence of a new line.

Personally, I think the high attrition rate of new codexes (and core rules) is a really unpleasant practice, in that it has me extremely suspicious of buying any new rulebooks. I've only bought a couple IA's and a floppy DV rulebook in the past year-plus, because the former are nice enough that I don't care as much if they're replaced and the latter is on the cheap side.

I'd much prefer needing expansions like other lines have, over replacing a $50 book somewhat regularly.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by spiralingcadaver View Post
    Personally, I think the high attrition rate of new codexes (and core rules) is a really unpleasant practice, in that it has me extremely suspicious of buying any new rulebooks.
    Totally agree. At least GW has given me a reason to pass on all these replacement books and just focus on new models and books for entirely new factions. If they get back to a more sensible 4-5 year replacement schedule I'll bite but kicking rules to the curb in 2 years or less is completely ridiculous for a model company.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Librarian

It definetly has changed how I plan and keep armies around

previously during much long longer change over cycles I was more inclined to keep around Marines/CSM/Bugs/IG/As/Eldar but due to the rapid changes in editions Ive canned all my nids except for my collectibles (my prized Armorcast Battleslugs) and am probably going to can my eldar soon (except of course for my Armorcast and Forgeworld solid-tanks). otherwise im tying myself up with two codex purchases and any needed updates every two years. Ide rather just worry less about what was going to happen with three armies versus five.